.30/30 Moose Load?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mine too, 7 rounds on more than one deer, and pass that onto the kids but my last son had no use for a 94 and got him a 7mm, bolt action Remington.
It might have shot a lot of deer but was not the prime gun for hunting, just big-time cowboy rep. Have over a dozen lever action and have only shot 3 of them. With the main ones a 25-20 and 218 bee. db

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's open sites, 7 shots, and light weight was the go to gun when pushing out bush when I was a young hunter, which is exactly what I did when I shot my first buck in the ass at 20 feet. 🤣 Only gun with more fire power would be a 12/10 shot gun loaded with buck shot,

NodakBob

Honored Member
40 years ago I got a chance to hunt with my Dad’s marlin 336 in 30-30…shot a doe on the run close range in cattails south of Strausburg. He traded his grandfather’s civil war Wisconsin cavalry sword for it after WW2. Then he, in his never ending gun barters, he sold it out from under my nose cause some guy “really wanted it”. Lately I’ve been thinking I should buy one of the new Ruger versions of it so I can enjoy it a bit and then pass it on to some descendent…

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey SD--If you were the boss of Ruger/Marlin would you order a faster twist and what would it be?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know enuf about the caliber to offer any changes
You ARE NOT "SD". I'm sure you're much better looking. You could probably pick up more leg in a road grader than he could in a Corvette.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Svn you really have a gift when wording words together, it like abstract poetry but only different. 😂

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey SD--If you were the boss of Ruger/Marlin would you order a faster twist and what would it be?

No on the twist.

I might however include or at least offer a Weaver style base with an integrated peep.

Given that you said Moose load, I'd try to wrangle Hornady into a 180gn + flat-nose hard-cast factory load.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

The front sight hood is stupid and crossbolt safeties are retarded. Otherwise the fit and finish of the vid gun appear excellent.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
40 years ago I got a chance to hunt with my Dad’s marlin 336 in 30-30…shot a doe on the run close range in cattails south of Strausburg. He traded his grandfather’s civil war Wisconsin cavalry sword for it after WW2. Then he, in his never ending gun barters, he sold it out from under my nose cause some guy “really wanted it”. Lately I’ve been thinking I should buy one of the new Ruger versions of it so I can enjoy it a bit and then pass it on to some descendent…
My first rifle was a marlin 336 in 30-30. est 1870. I was just a newly legal shooting age teen a million years ago in northern MN in the 1970's. My dad showed me the ropes. There was no such thing as shelter belts where we hunted. 80-100 yards was considered a long shot as visibility for that far away was non existent .Big woods.I shot my first deer....a HUGE, record breaking deer. It was a doe. biggest of all time.. according to me. haha
ha.. at like 30 yards. I was King for a day after my first deer!! Kinda like a person's first of something else! hahaha
Fast forward about 20 yrs ago, a buddy of mine said ..he would give me a Weaver Marksmen 4X for my beloved 30-30. Told him..hell yeah..lets put a scope on that thing..hahha. Ended up giving him a few dozen Northwind sock decoys in trade as I didn't want him to just give me a scope. Ended up using that rifle for a few more deer thru the years...just because.
Fond memories of that 30-30 that I will surely pass on to whomever I pass it on to.
At the end of the day. I am glad my dad taught me, not only about hunting and fishing and camping, but also about life in general. Although it has been some-time since you passed, you were a great teacher!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84