300 win mag ammo

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I experimented with 130 TTSX out of my 300 win mag. BC isn't great and you can't kill them more deader than dead. Stuck with 168s

All of my 308s shoot 130s though. Haven't tried 110s, I should some time.
Whats the furthest you've shot something with the 168's out of the win mag. I'm worried about them expanding at longer distances. I'm running 215 bergers out of mine right now and haven't been impressed on game. I don't think they exited on my deer this year at 300 yards and it was a mess. One shot low in chest quartering to me and busted up front shoulder bad, I don't think it exited, second shot facing me into neck and found copper jacket in offside shoulder. Sure it killed it but would like a little more penetration than that. My 257 with the 100gr tsx i'm limiting myself to 500 yards and under for deer and performance on a doe this year at 400 without hitting solid bone was excellent.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am.

Oh they put stuff down. I haven't killed anything but deer sized game and smaller with them. Have you ever Texas heart shot a deer with one? I have, not on purpose I may add, I had to throw both hind quarters away.

Triple shocks ruin very minimal amounts of meat. Even with poor placement.
I did the same thing on a doe back when you could get all the doe tags you wanted. When you walk up to the deer and you can see the ground through the hind quarters its not good. I called those deer "cookie sheet " because all the meat you got off from the deer fit on a cookie sheet. LB

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whats the furthest you've shot something with the 168's out of the win mag. I'm worried about them expanding at longer distances. I'm running 215 bergers out of mine right now and haven't been impressed on game. I don't think they exited on my deer this year at 300 yards and it was a mess. One shot low in chest quartering to me and busted up front shoulder bad, I don't think it exited, second shot facing me into neck and found copper jacket in offside shoulder. Sure it killed it but would like a little more penetration than that. My 257 with the 100gr tsx i'm limiting myself to 500 yards and under for deer and performance on a doe this year at 400 without hitting solid bone was excellent.
I haven't shot anything further than just over 300 with the 168s. They open just fine out to that distance for sure.

I hear you on the Bergers. I shot a buck last year with my 264 and a 156 EOL at just under 100 yards and the bullet absolutely exploded!! There was a clear entrance and about 3 or 4 exit wounds. Inside of the deer was complete mush. I found parts of the bullet in the hind quarters, heart, front quarters and the backstrap. Deer was quartering away at about 45 degrees. Went in mid rib cage. I will say that it dropped like a sack of sh!t!! Straight down like I hit it over the head with a sledge hammer!! A couple death kicks of the hind leg and that was it!

I've shot deer out to a little over 600 with my 25-06 and 100 TSX. I have yet to find a bullet. Deadly!!!

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Whats the furthest you've shot something with the 168's out of the win mag. I'm worried about them expanding at longer distances.
Shot a caribou at a little over 600 and sheep at 300 with 120gr ttsx. Both were pass throughs. A ton of others tuff under 200 (goats, black bears, deer, musk ox). I've never found a bullet. I plan on letting my wife use the same bullet on her moose this month. Shot from a 7-08 with muzzle velocity just over 3,000.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the feedback on the barnes. I'm seriously considering switching to something barnes in the 168-175gr for my 300wm. It was nice not having lead fragments and destroyed meat in my doe this year. It looks like I wouldn't be sacrificing much with the 168gr besides some energy and wind resistance out to 1k. Realistically all my shots would be 600 or less unless things went poorly with a shot and as long as the bullet expands I would still have enough energy to kill effectively out to 1k.

If anyone is interested I have 2 full boxes of .308 212gr eldx bullets I am willing to get rid of.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have shot Moose, Elk and Deer with the 165 Hornady Interlocks and it's amazing how well they work. I shot my N.D. Elk in the front shoulders. I shot Through the Elks shoulders and broke it's back just over 300 yds. There was no movement when it went down.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my 1996 once in a life time ND elk at ???????? distance . The 150 grain 300 bullet hit him in the spine and has tucked up against the skin on opposite side, so the hair off hide I have hanging on my office wall has but one bullet hole in it and I have the perfectly mushroom bullet. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 3 boxes of 300 win mag in 180 soft points that I would trade for 22-250 55 grain soft points.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nosler trophy grade partition 180 gr. Can’t say enough good about them. ND elk dropped in its tracks at 320 yards. Same for MT elk at 200. Expect to pay north of 75 / box however.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 300 win mag a couple years ago and have been shooting 165 gr tsx and have had really good luck with those. They're spendy so I just shoot 150 gr soft points for practice. This year I shot my buck at 367 yds and he dropped right where he stood. In all the years of deer hunting I don't think I've ever had one drop like that so I was quite impressed.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found out shooting heavier bullet's in mine for elk,moose,bear and even deer it just kills them dead. My theory is I spend all that money to hunt no such thing as too much bullet. My pard that hunted with me wanted it so bad I sold it to him. Went to custom 338 Edge rifle. I do have a box of 30 cal. 220 grain nosler partions # 16332 will sell for $30 if any interest.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's strange that people have opposite experiences with the same bullets at the same velocities, but it happens. Bought my first 300 Win Mag in 1990 and started out with X bullets and used them all the way up to the tipped triple shock. With the extra doe tags I have shot a lot of deer with X bullets and never had one drop on the spot. Fastest I ever seen one go down was the 110 gr loaded down to 3300 fps. I watched through the spotting scope as his chest took on the appearance of a 55 gal drum. He took off and rolled at 40 yards.
So then I went to 300 in a Remington Sendero and started shooting Ballistic Tip. Then I had a custom rifle built on that action and stock. I left the heavy Bartlien barrel at 28.25 inches and with Retymbo and a 210 gr Berger VLD it hits 3060 fps. Well my chrony says 3017, but I had to increase the velocity to make it match my actual hits from 100 to 1200 yards. The last buck I shot with it was 850 yards, and for a second I thought I missed. The snow puffed 100 yards beyond and a yard in front. He run 100 yards and if my buddy had not been watching through the scope he wouldn't have seen his feet flip in the air just over a ridge. Evidently I ricocheted slightly off some bone in his body. Rib I guess because it was just behind the shoulder.
Here is my only recovered X bullet. Lengthwise front to rear hind quarter at 400 yards. 180 gr. It's a little smooth because I carried it on my Keychain in my pocket for 25 years.

Attachments

IMG_0014.JPG

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone want to trade/partial trade 300 180g for 30.30 ammo? I have two boxes of 30.30. Both 150g. One of Federal Fusion and one of Remington Cor-lokt.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
By reading this thread i can't believe how high priced these shells have gotten. Haven't bought or even looked at them for about 10 years or so.
Haven't hunted in many years, since my last neck surgery and after my strokes, so my son will get to burn up all my ammo i guess.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats the furthest you've shot something with the 168's out of the win mag. I'm worried about them expanding at longer distances.

There is a minimum impact velocity for any bullet. I believe most of the Barnes are 1500-2000 FPS, but there is some variance between calibers, and even variance per bullet weight for a given caliber. This guy says it's 1500 for the 168.
So if you know your muzzle velocity, you can use any ballistics calculator to tell you what your max range should be.
However, for most, their shooting skills should be the limiting factor. Just because your bullet will perform and you got some fancy scope dials to crank on doesn't mean you should take that long shot.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a minimum impact velocity for any bullet. I believe most of the Barnes are 1500-2000 FPS, but there is some variance between calibers, and even variance per bullet weight for a given caliber. This guy says it's 1500 for the 168.
So if you know your muzzle velocity, you can use any ballistics calculator to tell you what your max range should be.
However, for most, their shooting skills should be the limiting factor. Just because your bullet will perform and you got some fancy scope dials to crank on doesn't mean you should take that long shot.
That's mostly what i've been reading for minimum velocities as well. Most people say to add a couple hundred fps on to that to be safe. My concern is what barnes calls expansion. Will the tip just expand a little or will it go to the full 1.5-2x its diameter and how much shock will there be still when it hits. solid copper bullets are weird to me because they don't dump all or most of their energy into the animal, just a portion of it and it relies on the shock of the bullet and the cavity to quickly dispatch game. Essentially I don't want to end up with a wounded animal or a long tracking job because the bullet didn't disrupt enough in the animal internally to quickly kill it.

I agree for capabilities. The fancy scopes and charts help but you still need to practice and have the skills. I have yet to find a time where I needed to shoot over 500 yards but having the ability to do it ethically is nice. I practice consistently to 800 and further when I can.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been shooting Norma bond strike 180 gr bullets in my 300. Great groups and performance on elk so far.

Shot a WT doe with my 300 with a 165 tsx bullet and she dropped at 200 yards. I switched to 180s to have more energy for elk hunting

I try to avoid soft points, ballistic tips, eldx bullets because they explode too much in the animal and don’t hold up as well as a bonded or fully copper bullet

Norma did have their 300 win mag 150 gr soft point loads on cyber Monday for $25 a box! Other calibers too for $20. Great deals for superior ammo

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80