300 win mag ammo

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I bought my 300 the guy I bought it from gave me a bunch of 212 Hornady eld-x that he had loaded for it. If anyone is interested in trading just let me know. He gave me the load data with them too. I don't plan on using them for anything but target practice.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
22-250 must be tough to find still!!!
I would even settle for some IMR 4895 and I would dust off my old Pacific reloader that I have't used in 20 some years and make my own. I got the bullets and the primers to make a couple hundred rounds. Would be a good winters weekend project. LB

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree for capabilities. The fancy scopes and charts help but you still need to practice and have the skills. I have yet to find a time where I needed to shoot over 500 yards but having the ability to do it ethically is nice. I practice consistently to 800 and further when I can.
Just like shooting bow, practice at 800 (or 80) so that 500 (or 50) is a chip shot.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't shot anything further than just over 300 with the 168s. They open just fine out to that distance for sure.

I hear you on the Bergers. I shot a buck last year with my 264 and a 156 EOL at just under 100 yards and the bullet absolutely exploded!! There was a clear entrance and about 3 or 4 exit wounds. Inside of the deer was complete mush. I found parts of the bullet in the hind quarters, heart, front quarters and the backstrap. Deer was quartering away at about 45 degrees. Went in mid rib cage. I will say that it dropped like a sack of sh!t!! Straight down like I hit it over the head with a sledge hammer!! A couple death kicks of the hind leg and that was it!

I've shot deer out to a little over 600 with my 25-06 and 100 TSX. I have yet to find a bullet. Deadly!!!
These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby.

Above is from website

So the web site says the 165 is what to use for 300winmag. I bought the 168s - took every box that you left at sportsmans morgue warehouse closed. They shot fine - however i will say 4 years ago muley; i aimed to high hit in upper back above chest and some how deflected a piece of copper into hind qtr. It was almost broadside --hole went in just beyond shoulder and out by the last rib cage. The animal dropped no issues --- but it Pissed me off when i did cut up.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These bullets have different ogive geometries. The 165-grain TSX incorporates a shorter tangent ogive in the nose profile. It’s designed for cartridges with short magazines such as the .300 WSM and .300 Win Mag. The 168-grain TSX BT has a secant ogive which lengthens the nose profile and has shown superb accuracy downrange. It offers the best of both worlds because it’s also a premium hunting bullet offering exceptional terminal performance. It is best suited for cartridges such as the .308 Winchester, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby.

Above is from website

So the web site says the 165 is what to use for 300winmag. I bought the 168s - took every box that you left at sportsmans morgue warehouse closed. They shot fine - however i will say 4 years ago muley; i aimed to high hit in upper back above chest and some how deflected a piece of copper into hind qtr. It was almost broadside --hole went in just beyond shoulder and out by the last rib cage. The animal dropped no issues --- but it Pissed me off when i did cut up.
When I started shooting the 168 TSX in my 300 they didn't even make the 165. ;)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry a bit OT: Anyone ever shoot heavier than 180 in .308 Win?

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried 190 Berger’s a few years ago in my 308. They didn’t tumble and shot ok in the factory 1:12 twist that I think the rifle had but hated that they wouldn’t fit in the magazine.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
2E8A267E-B242-4D48-8B52-078768A29E6D.jpeg

Pass me a Barnes. The bulk of the above are 200gn TSX @ 2950 FPS via 300Win Mag.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried 190 Berger’s a few years ago in my 308. They didn’t tumble and shot ok in the factory 1:12 twist that I think the rifle had but hated that they wouldn’t fit in the magazine.
I was thinking a non-rimmed Alaskan/African camp gun. I guess the same thing could be accomplished with an '06 with a bit more noise: Kerfuckingblam:

1669871694410.png

Last edited:

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
2E8A267E-B242-4D48-8B52-078768A29E6D.jpeg

Pass me a Barnes. The bulk of the above are 200gn TSX @ 2950 FPS via 300Win Mag.
The MT one and the one a little further to the right are what I’m concerned about. I can’t tell if they sheared petals off from close range which is ok but if they didn’t then I would be concerned with the amount of internal damage. Could you provide some more info on those two at all.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 1st you asked about sheared off petals. It was a cow elk @125yds quartering towards and went through a bunch of bone. It's a 200gn TSX @ 2950 from a 300Win.

The 2nd is a 100gn .257 from a 257Wby @ 3650fps. It was the 2nd shot on a Mule Deer @ 200yds. 1st shot hit the buck through the on-side front leg and low in the chest. The deer turned and ran almost dead away. I was trying to tuck the bullet just behind the last rib. What happened instead was it entered the rear quarter and exited right through the knee, then re-entered just behind the ribs, ran up through the chest cavity, through the off-side front quarter, and I found the bullet under the hide @ the shoulder/neck junction. All the petals sheared off, I suspect they probably all sheared exiting the knee leaving only essentially a .257 copper drill-bit going up through the rest of the body. The deer flopped @ the shot.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also witnessed said 100 gr TSX out of said rifle poke a hole in a T3 steel plate.

Can't remember the exact specifics...ie thickness of plate or the distance. I want to say 1/4" plus and fairly close.... around 150-200 ish??

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 1st you asked about sheared off petals. It was a cow elk @125yds quartering towards and went through a bunch of bone. It's a 200gn TSX @ 2950 from a 300Win.

The 2nd is a 100gn .257 from a 257Wby @ 3650fps. It was the 2nd shot on a Mule Deer @ 200yds. 1st shot hit the buck through the on-side front leg and low in the chest. The deer turned and ran almost dead away. I was trying to tuck the bullet just behind the last rib. What happened instead was it entered the rear quarter and exited right through the knee, then re-entered just behind the ribs, ran up through the chest cavity, through the off-side front quarter, and I found the bullet under the hide @ the shoulder/neck junction. All the petals sheared off, I suspect they probably all sheared exiting the knee leaving only essentially a .257 copper drill-bit going up through the rest of the body. The deer flopped @ the shot.
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense then and i'm a lot more comfortable with them. I had one bad experience with barnes back in 2003 or 2004. I shot a whitetail with 30-06 150gr x-bullet, not sure if even called tsx at that time. I shot him 3 times at about 150 yards. He didn't even act like he was hit. I never hit solid bone and he went about 200 yards and laid down allowing me to finish him off. Upon dressing it I didn't find much for damage so after that I quit shooting them until I got my 257wby.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to really love the accuracy out of factory loaded 115 gr, Winchester ballistic silvertips for my 25-06. I suppose they were coming out just a hair over 3000 fps. The problem I eventually ran into with them was their tendency to explode on deer that were less than 100 yds away. As an example, I shot a bedded down doe in the neck at ~70 yds nearly perfectly broadside to me. That one had a fragment of the bullet take a right turn and travel between the hide and the meat all the way from just behind her ears to near her tail, where I found the fragment. It left just the weirdest little trail of blood along its path without hurting any meat, but still...I prefer my bullets to hold together better than the BSTs were doing at short distances. Switched to reloading almost 20 years ago and have shot Barnes bullets of different flavors almost exclusively ever since. My only issue with the Barnes bullets is that while they tend to stay together very well, they almost always exit no matter the range and impart much of their energy in the dirt. Exceptions being when I used them to punch a hole through a shoulder blade. That's led to a couple deer that went farther than they would have if'n I'd have been using older technology bullets.

Everything's a tradeoff in life. I've never shot anything at such a distance to where the Barnes bullets didn't expand as designed (out of either the 25 or my 7mm), but the longest shot I've taken over the past 15 years, or so has been a little over 500 yds.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one bad experience with barnes back in 2003 or 2004. I shot a whitetail with 30-06 150gr x-bullet, not sure if even called tsx at that time. I shot him 3 times at about 150 yards. He didn't even act like he was hit. I never hit solid bone and he went about 200 yards and laid down allowing me to finish him off. Upon dressing it I didn't find much for damage so after that I quit shooting them until I got my 257wby.
I had a similar experience with a WT doe. There were at least 6 in the party that watched me shoot her broadside, we all heard the whack. She turned and walked into the trees around an old farmstead and we spent a good portion of the next couple hours looking for her. Never did find her and the only thing we could surmise is she walked through the trees and once on the other side she bolted across 400+ yds of barren ground. After I shot, my buddy even exclaimed "that's a dead deer". I suppose she eventually died, but we walked that countryside all day and never ran across her again.

Same buddy blasted a WT doe with his 300 Win Mag that afternoon, she never even flinched after he shot. After her and her friends bolted before he could take another shot, we all gave him a hard time for missing a standing still broadside at ~100 yds. Her I found a short time and some 400+ yds later, bedded down with her liver hanging out the far side. There are times when deer can absorb some incredible punishment. I'm not sure what kind of ammo he was using, but the carnage was incredible as she had a fist sized hole for an exit wound.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
serious question cause you folks seem to have way more experience than me with bullets: other than the potential for lead in the meat (which at one deer a year these days isn't much of an issue for me), is there a reason to not use old fashioned soft points?

like most on here, i killed multiple deer a year in the hay days of unlimited tags, a couple/year when i was getting a rez tag to compliment my ND tags for a few years after the hay days and at least 1/year for the last 22 or so years since i finished college and started hunting again. .243, 6.5 and 308. i venture they have all been lead tipped bullets that i can remember and i've never complained about their ability to kill. and the ones i find that don't exit look about as i would expect an expanding bullet to look like minus the pretty petals i see on those copper ones. maybe not as good a BC as others?

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My main concern is the lead in the meat, not that i'm worried about lead poisoning or anything like that I just am picky with the quality of the meat so i tend to waste more meat around the bullet path than i do with the copper bullets. I am also wanting more penetration than what the berger's are giving me in my 300 wm. I want to know that my bullet will make it to vitals no matter what on large animals. On deer sized game it's a non issue but I don't shoot the 300 on deer much. I still shoot conventional cup and core bullets a lot and the berger 105's have performed crazy good on a lot of deer in my .243.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I got out of the Corps in 1992, I bought my 25-06 and shot the pretty standard Remington CoreLokts. They killed things just fine for the most part, but there was one really nice buck I had to put a few shots into at over 400 yds, none of which exited the deer or had really great penetration. So that put me in the market looking for something with a little more pizzaz, which was when I went to the Ballistic tipped bullets, again commercially loaded. Then I started to get a lot more opportunities at deer in fairly close range which led to my dislike of the BSTs as they exploded and sent pieces all throughout the animal. Right about that time was also when the whole lead from bullets being found at great distances away from the wound channel (the xrays were quite telling) and it coincided with the ex and I planning on having kids, so we went copper and I've never looked back.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66