300 win mag ammo

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
serious question cause you folks seem to have way more experience than me with bullets: other than the potential for lead in the meat (which at one deer a year these days isn't much of an issue for me), is there a reason to not use old fashioned soft points?

Short answer: No, no reason not to use a soft-point of some sort.

I use Barnes TSX because during the years of unlimited doe tags, their extremely reliable performance across multiple bullet diameters, weights, and impact velocities became quite obvious:

Caliber in/Golf-ball sized out, carnage in-between.

It hasn't mattered if I've taken animals just beyond my boot laces or out past 500yds, the wound channels pretty much all look the same.

That said, if I had to go back to shooting a soft-point cup/core of some sort, there's no reason I'd be hampered to any meaningful degree.

The 10 most important things regarding rifle projectiles assuming they're reasonably accurate and sighted in for your rifle IMO:

1. Placement
2. Placement
3. Placement
4. Placement
5. Placement
6. Placement
7. Placement
8. Placement
9. Bullet Construction
10. Headstamp on the brass

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kerfuckingblam is almost as good as uncunted .🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 LB
Forgot to mention something like a 230gr FP @ modest velocity (I surmise only "modest velocity" would be the peak of such a slug in an '08 case). Sometimes I come home drinking with gun loving ideas on my mind. Loretta would've written a feminist tune about needing a bore scrub if we were involved.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
OT again: Back in the day I read an article in OL or FS about far north Inuit or racist trappers shaving the nose off surplus FMJ to facilitate expansion and getting their asses ate by bears.

I purposely used "ate" as bad grammar. < In the last sentence it got a "blue line"; nothing for the OP. WTF?! The Brits have probably lamented for two centuries of English being destroyed. Now it's up to us to stop the shit and erect a wall. FWIW these are not words: The biggest and now excusable "ain't"; "irregardless" "busted" and fucking "alot". The English Language must be preserved and not retarded. I'd even advocate for going back to 'twas, 'twixt etc. I also like twat.

That is all.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
OT again: Back in the day I read an article in OL or FS about far north Inuit or racist trappers shaving the nose off surplus FMJ to facilitate expansion and getting their asses ate by bears.
I have 2 friends who've hunted Polar Bears w/Inuit guides. The firearm they saw the most of up there in the hands of locals was the Savage 340 in 222 Rem shooting 50gn or 55gn soft-points for everything from grouse to bears because that's what they had.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 friends who've hunted Polar Bears w/Inuit guides. The firearm they saw the most of up there in the hands of locals was the Savage 340 in 222 Rem shooting 50gn or 55gn soft-points for everything from grouse to bears because that's what they had.
Cool. That was the premise of the article. In retrospect it was probably a long add for PP or CL. Wasn't the "world record" brown bear killed with a .22LR? Per your #7 Tip; it's about shot placement. The rest is all interesting and academic.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them blue ballistic tips suck in my 300 --- you shoot once and pull an unfired shell out and the blue tip is fkd up from the impact of the rifle shot. imo once they are fd up they will not be as accurate or go into the meat tainted.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I purposely used "ate" as bad grammar. < In the last sentence it got a "blue line"; nothing for the OP. WTF?! The Brits have probably lamented for two centuries of English being destroyed. Now it's up to us to stop the shit and erect a wall. FWIW these are not words: The biggest and now excusable "ain't"; "irregardless" "busted" and fucking "alot". The English Language must be preserved and not retarded. I'd even advocate for going back to 'twas, 'twixt etc. I also like twat.

That is all.
TWAT you say I cunt hear you. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them blue ballistic tips suck in my 300 --- you shoot once and pull an unfired shell out and the blue tip is fkd up from the impact of the rifle shot. imo once they are fd up they will not be as accurate or go into the meat tainted.
Buggered tips are a non-issue. Pull any 10 random Bergers out of a box and compare the base-to-meplat OAL, all over the board.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

That is all.
These two stick out to me, mostly as they are well over used.
A lot is misspelled 90% of the time, all of the time.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My favorite is when people say, "I could care less." When they actually mean, "I couldn't care less".

People do it all the time.

That's all. Carry on.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74