470" public land bull taken

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
About as close to a canned hunt as you can get without the fence. That dude just showed up and shot it. He didn't "hunt" it.

still got to hike in and shoot it. Plus the amount of money going to conservation from these tags are huge.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
About as close to a canned hunt as you can get without the fence. That dude just showed up and shot it. He didn't "hunt" it.

Exactly. 100% correct.

From just a "life in general" perspective, I'm very impressed with people and give them all the credit in the world if they've worked hard enough and gotten themselves into the position where they're able to drop that kind of cash on an animal. Kudos to them. On the hunting side though, I'm 100x more impressed by a DIY guy going out and shooting a raghorn on public land than I am of a person who just follows a guide around and pulls the trigger when he's told to.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im afraid greed is as dangerouse to our sport as the anaimal rights people. If there is money to be made there are people who will go after it no matter the consequences.
About ten years ago we went three days early to an elk hunt to scout. The afternoon before season a guide shows up and said we had to leave because we were in his campsite. The only resemblance to a campsite was a pile of rocks, but then any flat opening in the forrest had a fire ring of rocks. I politely told him I wasnt going anywhere.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
still got to hike in and shoot it. Plus the amount of money going to conservation from these tags are huge.

Yes lots of money, That money also pays lots of salary and they are not low paying jobs. There are lots of people getting rich on donations.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im afraid greed is as dangerouse to our sport as the anaimal rights people. If there is money to be made there are people who will go after it no matter the consequences.
About ten years ago we went three days early to an elk hunt to scout. The afternoon before season a guide shows up and said we had to leave because we were in his campsite. The only resemblance to a campsite was a pile of rocks, but then any flat opening in the forrest had a fire ring of rocks. I politely told him I wasnt going anywhere.

So you are saying the 100% of that money from the gov tags auctions going to conservation and opening up more public land is a bad thing? I think people get jealous when some one can afford to buy a tag like that and any sportsman who can objectively look at it realizes that a few of those tags auctioned off do more for the animals than selling 10000 regular priced tags.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes lots of money, That money also pays lots of salary and they are not low paying jobs. There are lots of people getting rich on donations.

Who is getting rich on donations. I dont know of any game and fish people getting rich and guides and outfitters are few and far between getting rich. For every Jim Shockey there are 100 just scrapping by making a living like every one else

- - - Updated - - -

To add the guy who killed it is the owner of Jimmy Johns. Going to get a JJ Gargantuan in his honor and maybe it will help fund his next hunt. Good for him

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really wonder how much of that money actually goes to "conservation". Guessing most ends up in someone's pockets. What exactly would they be spending it on? If all this money is going to conservation why aren't there more hunting opportunities for these critters than there are? Unless it's a money pit like the sheep in ND we keep importing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really wonder how much of that money actually goes to "conservation". Guessing most ends up in someone's pockets. What exactly would they be spending it on? If all this money is going to conservation why aren't there more hunting opportunities for these critters than there are? Unless it's a money pit like the sheep in ND we keep importing.

there is all kind of opportunity to hunt elk all over. You can look the financial statement up to see how and where the money is used and distributed. Wildlife management is expensive and just doesn’t happen because it sounds good. Tags like these are paramount to keeping animals on public land and public land accessible and open for use. Guzzlers are just a start in arid regions like az.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you are saying the 100% of that money from the gov tags auctions going to conservation and opening up more public land is a bad thing?
No, I think that's a good thing. It's the guides and outfitters that try run people off public land. It's the commercialization of an American heritage that I don't like. How much longer will we be able to afford to hunt at all? Will our kids be able to hunt? The high fence hunts, the ranchers, the outfitters would all like to see public land made private. If that happens get ready to pay $5K to $6k to just get on land to hunt elk. That's the price to hunt a ranch right next to where I have hunted in Montana. My rangefinder says he has gone over me at only 40 yards on public land.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, I think that's a good thing. It's the guides and outfitters that try run people off public land. It's the commercialization of an American heritage that I don't like. How much longer will we be able to afford to hunt at all? Will our kids be able to hunt? The high fence hunts, the ranchers, the outfitters would all like to see public land made private. If that happens get ready to pay $5K to $6k to just get on land to hunt elk. That's the price to hunt a ranch right next to where I have hunted in Montana. My rangefinder says he has gone over me at only 40 yards on public land.

thats just not true as many guides make there living on public land and for the one bad one their is 100 good. It’s just like cops because of one bad one doesn’t mean we defund the whole system

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a heck of a lot more bad ones than the few cops. Your right they are making a living off public land. In states like Montana they try to keep people out. What is it again six million acres of public land with no access. Landowners who can block access are selling that access to outfitters.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

At the democrat convention they won't talk about or own their peaceful protests turning into riots but want to blame Trump for everything. You are no different PrairieGhost. This thread isn't about high fence hunts, ranchers and guides trying to take away your hunting grounds.

John Liautaud was the founder of Jimmy Johns. He sold it. He is a big game hunter and has been criticized for years by anti-hunting orgs who have called for a boycott of JJ.

He donated to the re-election of Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpiao .

And now he donates to Arizona conservation. Good on him.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a heck of a lot more bad ones than the few cops. Your right they are making a living off public land. In states like Montana they try to keep people out. What is it again six million acres of public land with no access. Landowners who can block access are selling that access to outfitters.

how do you come up with that kind of garbage. I have met 4 outfitters in Idaho and all 4 have been nothing but nice even giving me in reach numbers if we need help packing out. If they were all the type of people you say they would not be in business any more.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats because they were seeing you as a possibke client. Did they offer to pack out free? Did you ask how much?

As for whinny Fritz I said I was ok with the Arizona hunt. Im impressed it came from public land. Makes you want to steal that land even more doesnt it Fritz?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats because they were seeing you as a possibke client. Did they offer to pack out free? Did you ask how much?

As for whinny Fritz I said I was ok with the Arizona hunt. Im impressed it came from public land. Makes you want to steal that land even more doesnt it Fritz?

I asked them and two guys said nothing at all and others said we could figure something out. Either way I would have paid something because it would have been worth it and karma always works out in the end

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, good for that dude! Incredible animal! Imagine hunting in that heat and then hauling it out... uffda

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG, I think you need to let some hate go. Its clear you and fritz disagree on stuff. But, he doesn't appear to poke the bear or pick a fight nearly as often as you. We are all allowed our opinions without hopefully turning things into a personal fight. You do a good job with 99% of folk. But, when it comes to him, you seem unable to help yourself. It is detrimental to your positional arguments in my opinion. Mean no offense. Just constructive criticism. Which I am sure might seem offensive.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which I am sure might seem offensive.
Im not offended, but you do need to look at the cronology. Post 24 was my first post. Im concerned with commercialization pushing cost of hunting beyond the common man. That and our public land is in danger. I only voiced that opinion and didnt aim anything at an individual to begin with.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like it or not.
Here's how it all went down.
Interesting perspective from the guy that knew this bull best, what a tough decision he had to make.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79