51-plus-inch DL pike???

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is certainly nothing wrong with a good replica either. A skin mount is going to deteriorate over time....I don't care what you do to it, it's going to deteriorate. A skin mount is still put over a form and still painted, so they're not as much different as people may think. Who wants a mount that looks like crap 20 years from now? Now that's a waste in my opinion.

I don't know where this "skin mounts deteriorate" theory comes from, or what taxidermist has been doing the "temporary" mounts in ND, but if I mount a fish today it will look exactly the same 100 years from now after you use a garden hose to spray the dust off. Even if it were in direct sunlight hanging outdoors facing southwest it would still be 20 years before the UV broke the clearcoat down enough to peel & then fade the color.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
stripedpike-630x339.jpg

Another pic from Spirit Lake. Striped Pike.

SB43

Just talked to a guy a couple days ago that saw a 52" pike caught on the North Dakota side of Lake Oahe...that was also put back! Chalk it up to a fish tale or whatever but I would consider him a very reliable source.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know where this "skin mounts deteriorate" theory comes from, or what taxidermist has been doing the "temporary" mounts in ND, but if I mount a fish today it will look exactly the same 100 years from now after you use a garden hose to spray the dust off. Even if it were in direct sunlight hanging outdoors facing southwest it would still be 20 years before the UV broke the clearcoat down enough to peel & then fade the color.
This is a bold statement.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not really look at clear coats on cars and boats they take alot of abuse and hold up.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one that was close to 20# close to the boat in the early 80s , I about crapped when I saw how light he was hooked and he decided to swim away , there were quite a few big ones being caught back then but the fishing pressure was crazy too.

This is a 42", likely over 25 pounds that I C and R'd a few weeks ago. On Oahe and Sakakawea, with a little commitment each spring, you will likely catch one over twenty every year. These are world class fisheries for big pike.NCM_0104.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31