johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Cavalier 14 years ago, selling disability insurance door to door. Remember it well.

Is it just me or does some of the ceremonies and memorials seem to be just as rewarding to the terrorists. I feel as though they turn on CNN and say "Yup, we are the reason for all of this, victory is ours"

I think it should be left to our country, and true mourners and not put out there for the Islamic swine.

God Bless America.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was sleeping in my door room bed at NDSU when my roommate came running in yelling "we are under attack!!! America is being attacked!!" Glued to the tv the rest of the day. 9/11 was this generations JFK. Something we will remember with exact detail the rest of our lives.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was sitting in high school study hall when the teacher came in and told us Kennedy was shot. I was sitting at my computer working when a friend told me what was going on. I found it live on the internet. Made me want to blow terrorist brains all over the desert. Come to think of it that's the way I still feel. Unlike most fickle American's I don't forget. Happiness would be an eyeball on each side of my crosshairs. ( terrorist eyeball that is) :)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was getting my mobility gear packed, checking equipment, and waiting for orders to go to war.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at work. In a phone center, talking to people all over the country all day. Talked to people in TX who said that they'd been bombed, people in San Francisco who said there'd been explosions downtown, and people in Sea-Tac who said that the ships were being turned away.

Lots of conflicting (scary) stories that day. Made it hard to confirm anything. Had a buddy who worked at the trade center, and he was late that day. Still alive, thank God.

It really was a defining moment in American History. Not that we have to let it beat us down of course. If anything, it galvanized a lot of peoples' resolve.

An iconic day, to be sure. Similar to Pearl Harbor.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Houston on the 33rd floor of One Allen Center. Worked there a while in the energy industry before moving back to Minot.
We had several TVs on the walls showing the latest news and trading info. Devastating to watch and within two hours pretty much the whole city of Houston was evacuated and told to go home. That day changed the lives of so many people. It sure changed mine as I was in the Air National Guard. Ended up in the Middle East soon after.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Arrived to high school that morning just after the first plane collided. Didn't have much of any class that day as we all just moved from room to room watching the news. A complete shift in mentality occurred for me that day. Three years later, I enlisted. Flag is flying on the house today, as it normally is. But the process of putting it up this day always seems a bit different. God bless the lives we've lost and those protecting us.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to go to a buddy's house get him out of bed or he was kicked out of school. As he was getting up I was watching tv and saw the second plane hit. Thought it was a movie and a bad one at that then I saw LIVE on the t.v. then call came be ready to go I was in my 2 years inactive for guards never did get activated but will never forget that day.

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a briefing with my CO at NAVSTA Great Lakes. Watched both planes and the Pentagon attack live on TV.... No immediate reaction to the FPCON on the Base cause we were still enjoying the "peace dividend" from the cold war. That changed in about a day, and 9-11 had a huge effect on the next 7 years of my life. My big take away was across the middle east and Africa, it was not just the terrorists that were celebrating it was entire populations of Islamic countries that were dancing in the streets of Cairo, Bagdad, Tehran, Aman (pick one) when the towers came down. Religion of peace my ass.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I has just got up and getting ready for class was watching when the 2nd plane hit. Went to class and a sociology prof(liberal whiner big surprise) says "So I guess I'm not going to get you guys away from the tv for class." Grabbed his laptop and walked out. He was a d-bag before that but now I also won't forget how much of one he really was.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, remember it like it was yesterday. I was up in Walker, MN at a conference getting ready to give a presentation on some research proposals. First plane hit about 10 minutes before I was to start talking. Put us on hold for a couple hours, at least.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
had just walked into high school. They had TVs in the commons area which had it all on. Went to my first class which was American Government, when we watch the second plane hit. Watched the news the whole rest of the day.

Tried to enlist in the air force, but apparently metal screws in your knee makes you ineligible.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got home from working nights. Figured I might as well call in to confirm my switch from guard to active duty after I saw the second one hit. Was tough to get any rest that day.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was sitting in my office when I heard it on the radio. We are being attacked. I will never forget the sounds of their voices over the radio. Surreal. I got up, locked my office and headed home and watched it on TV forever. A very good friend of mine was in the ND Nat'l Guard. It wasn't too long and his unit was being called up for possible deployment overseas. First stop for them was Fort Riley, Kansas to prepare.(They never did have to go overseas it turned out...not that unit anyway.)
Before their unit was to go to Kansas a big group of us decided to have our heads shaved in support of them. We headed to a local watering hole..pulled up a bar stool..someone brought shears..and about 20-25 of us got our heads shaved or at least cut damn short. I wear my hair damn short to this day.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Joel Hietkamp asked today while remembering the victims, if we should stop thinking about 9-11, suggesting the terrorists were "winning by making us think about it".
That is the greatness of this nation, we can choose to "think" and speak about what we wish and because of that the terrorists are NOT "winning" here.
Some of us choose to think about this on the anniversary of the worst attack on American soil by a foreign enemy because this nation needs to be focused on uniting behind making sure it never happens again.
We can not ignore it happened, we can not diminish it into some obscure memory because politikal correctness and those that live their lives by that foolish standard do not want us to think about those ideologies that were behind this attack.
After this attack, this nation was as united as it had been since world war 2, and yet in the last few short years, political correctness and treacherous ideologies by this nations leadership linked directly to how we view and respond to those that were responsible have divided this nation once again.
THAT is how the terrorists are "winning".
CHOOSE to think about this attack and what has transpired since and ask yourself are we a better, stronger nation ready to confront those that chant "death to America" to protect this nation and it's people from attacks here or abroad?
Remember those victims.
Choose to never forget.
May God bless them and this nation

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta admit still every time I see a video of that 2nd plane slamming into the tower or of those people jumping I feel it in the deepest part of my guts. It's a different kind of anger all together.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was working in a warehouse in Fargo, listening to Q98 Scotch&Dewey show…to hear those goofballs get completely somber during the broadcast, you just knew it was bad…we then gathered in the bosses office and watched what video we could find on the young internet…it definitely did not seem real until you saw the images…then a real empty/helpless feeling sets in...#neverforget...ever!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Sioux Falls along with my boss who was from Seattle and scheduled to fly home that afternoon. I drove her to Fargo and she got on the train, she arrived in Seattle ~3 days later along with a whole host of "kiddos" from the then labeled "Great Plains Software" who were also headed back to Seattle based Microsoft.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got done helping out at the capital building memorial stair climb. Remember the 343.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19