A lost fisherman on the Missouri river

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad news of a possible drown Mandan fisherman.

http://www.myndnow.com/news/bismarc...issing-mandan-man-in-missouri-river/712501113

Multiple law enforcement agencies spent the day Thursday searching for a possible drowning victim along the Missouri River south of Mandan.
The Morton County Sheriff's Department says a boat was discovered idling along the shore south of Fort Rice around 8:15 a.m. Thursday morning.
Authorities say the missing boater is a 57-year-old Mandan man. His last contact with family came Wednesday evening while he was fishing on the Missouri River.
The State Highway Patrol and the Game and Fish Department have joined Morton County officials in a search by land, water, and air.
Officials say the Game and Fish Department is also utilizing sonar equipment in the search.
If you have any information about the missing man, you're asked to contact the Morton County Sheriff's Department at 701-667-3330.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope its not one of our NDA brothers, hate it when solo fisherman go missing, a second person in the boat is always a good idea.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I was fishing at Fort Rice yesterday. Authorities looked hard. Plane was looking all over. I spoke to a family member. Person missing fished a lot. Sad deal. Second person is a good idea. But I really enjoy fishing alone. I think the life jacked will be worn more often.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cold water, could be a while before enough gasses build up to float the corpse to the surface. Id bet he will be found in the next week or two tho...

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sad, prayers to family. life can change so fast, a person doesn't realize how fast.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall a similar situation 30 plus years ago up by Stanton when an empty boat was found, if I am not mistaken it took a month before he was found N. of Bismarck by double ditch.

b52beaver

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fisherman missing is my uncle darv gratz. I wish I could tell you what we think happened but the sad fact is we have no idea and might never. Right now our focus is just finding him so there can be closure. with the boat being in gear when they found it makes it tough to narrow down a location. boat was found about 200 yards south from the Ft. Rice dock running against the rocks. It looks like whatever happened happened sometime after 6pm last Wednesday evening, it is a 2014ish black aluminum Lund Tyee. everything in the boat was put away so it seems he was done fishing and possibly getting ready to load up and leave. like I said its entirely speculation. truck and trailer were still in the parking lot so our best guess is somewhere between Hazelton and the low water ramp at Rice he fell off. Which also gives us a ton of water to search. if anyone happened to have seen anything odd or even the boat in a ballpark area after 6 the info would be great. If anyone is fishing from Hazelton South in the next week or so I ask you just keep an eye out. like I said the accident is tragic enough , not being able to find him is worse. any info can be relayed to the Morton County Sheriffs dept. or you can call or text me 701-527-6162 Thanks

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fisherman missing is my uncle darv gratz. I wish I could tell you what we think happened but the sad fact is we have no idea and might never. Right now our focus is just finding him so there can be closure. with the boat being in gear when they found it makes it tough to narrow down a location. boat was found about 200 yards south from the Ft. Rice dock running against the rocks. It looks like whatever happened happened sometime after 6pm last Wednesday evening, it is a 2014ish black aluminum Lund Tyee. everything in the boat was put away so it seems he was done fishing and possibly getting ready to load up and leave. like I said its entirely speculation. truck and trailer were still in the parking lot so our best guess is somewhere between Hazelton and the low water ramp at Rice he fell off. Which also gives us a ton of water to search. if anyone happened to have seen anything odd or even the boat in a ballpark area after 6 the info would be great. If anyone is fishing from Hazelton South in the next week or so I ask you just keep an eye out. like I said the accident is tragic enough , not being able to find him is worse. any info can be relayed to the Morton County Sheriffs dept. or you can call or text me 701-527-6162 Thanks

Very sorry for the loss in your family. I hope he is found quickly. You're doing a good job, putting your information on a forum such as this. My sincere prayers go to you and yours.

Jim Kemp

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very sad, and reminds me of how I'm getting older and how things can happen to veteran fishermen. With these details that the nephew provided, I'm guessing he fell out very close to the Ft. Rice ramp. Just a hunch. If you have structure scan, look closely while around the Ft. Rice ramp area. Very sad indeed, prayers to the family.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family. What a tragic event, and as you said, not knowing is the worst. Excellent choice sharing info on this site, it gets many hits a day from fisherman, many of whom Im sure frequent that area. Keep us posted with any updates, as I'm sure plenty would be willing to help, and the more info the better!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A little off topic, but a lot of people arent able to climb back into their boat once out. Its actually something that is good to practice (in a controlled situation). I know I can using the hydrofoil on the outboard as a step, but it can be slippery and challenging sometimes. Add onto that cold water and possible extra clothing and it might not work, even for me who has practiced it. Its easy to panic in a situation like this, but on the river, shore is never far away, better to make it to shore and have someone give you a ride back to your boat than die trying to get back in. This is an awful situation b52, sorry for your family...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deepest condolences B52. My thoughts and prayers for strength are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sad and tragic for the living and family but to die doing something one loves like this would be the best way to go in my book.

A couple of my favorite quotes about life.

Hunter-S.-Thompson-quote-640x425.jpg

lifes-journey-is-not-to-arrive-at-the-grave-safely-in-a-well-preserved-body-but-rather-to-skid-in-sideways-totally-worn-out-shouting-holy-shitwhat-a-ride-1-638.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
To piggy back off of Lycans post, I ride my motor up. I can stand on the lower unit, and press the up switch right on the back of the motor and it raise me up to where I can step right onto the back.

I have become to be a rather large man, and pulling myself into the boat with a hundred extra pounds of wet clothes would likely be impossible.

I would also like to offer my condolences to your uncle, terrible situation, hoping for the best for you, and of course the entire family.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18