Akuma

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking at an Akuma rod and reel package at Runnings, line counter reel, 8 1/2'... for like 79 bucks, lots of them on hand. Is this like a bottom of the barrel set up? I have always used spinning equipment and mostly drag bottom bouncers and want to expand my gear and techniques.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found some Screaming deals on Cabelas DepthMasterIII reels this winter in the bargain cave, Paired them with 2 Depthmater rods rigged with leadcore and 2 Interflow tournament rods rigged with 15 powerpro. Cant tell you how good they are yet but ill give a review after i get some use out of them. Total cost for the Depthmaster combos was right around what those Akumas

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know much about the combos you're talking about. I run the scheels combos but I believe they're just okuma magda's with a scheels logo on them. I picked them up for $60 a piece last spring during the berkley sale. I haven't had a single problem with them but I don't know for sure if the line counter is accurate. I know I've caught fish on them so that's ok in my books.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okuma has built pretty descent reels in general for quite a while. I still have several on Berkley series one rods from when they first came out....2001ish?? I don't have much experience with their line counter reels, but I wouldn't be afrid of them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66