All new chevrolet 1500 pickem up trucks...

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On the fence for a new truck,kinda decided on the colorado ZR2 crew with the v-6 engine.

But the new generation 1500 is coming,ordering starts in late january,all new design including a full size ZR2 model with locking front and rear locking diffs,looks like GM tweaked the 3lit diesel,more torq and Hp,towing capacity is 13,300lbs...kinda over kill for a 1/2 ton truck but 40mpg's is huge if true.

Prices on new vehicles are crazy,this colorado ZR2 I priced out with the Bison edition,sticker is $55k....yikes! guessing this all new 1500 will be around the same price when pricing comes out.

What do you guyz think,go diesel for an extra $5k? not pulling any weight or driving long hauls or v-6? or v-8?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had diesels since I got my drivers license. If you don’t need to pull heavy, don’t get one. They are expensive to repair and maintain. If you don’t know what you are doing the winter can bite you bad. After I sold my cattle my diesel is a garage queen now, pull the camper twice a year and that’s pretty much it. My daily is a 2020 1500 with the 5.3. It handles my 21 ft boat easily and my side x side when I go ice fishing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only way I'd own a modern diesel from any maker is if I could guarantee no short trips and no long idles.

EGR + DPF + SCR/DEF + short trips + long idles = You're going to have significant exhaust related issues that either leave you beside the road, sitting at home while your pickup is in the shop, or driving a loaner/rental.

I've posted this multiple times so for those who've already read it, apologies.

I have an '11 F-250 6.7L, however, I don't think as it relates to diesel exhaust complexity, it would matter which manufacturer's diesel pickup I owned . @ 0F, it will not come up to full operating temp driving around town even for a couple hours out running errands and leaving it idle in between. @ 0F, I need ~25Mi of highway driving to get the engine and trans both up to full operating temp, 5-10Min worth of "warm-up" idle changes that time very little. Basically Fargo to Casselton/Gardner/Christine/Barnesville, Bismark to Sterling/New Salem/Wilton for everything to be up and running normally. At that point, if the DPF is in need of a re-gen cycle, I need a minimum of another 15-20Mi of uninterrupted highway driving to complete the re-gen cycle. If at all possible, you don't want to shut down during a re-gen cycle or only complete a partial cycle, this only serves to begin to choke down/fill up your DPF, shortening it's life and moving the problem further upstream. A clogged EGR would be your next problem with lots of idle time and/or insufficient DPF re-gen cycles.

I get away with owning a diesel because it's a 2nd vehicle for me. I don't use it unless I either NEED a pickup for some reason, or, I know that I am going to have a long enough drive to get up to temp . I'm just a few hundred miles short of 200K on my pickup and I bought it new in early 2012. I've had 2 exhaust related issues in 10years. Ford replaced the EGR valve under warrantee @ ~95K Mi and in the fall of 2020 I had to have a new DEF tank heater installed.

Take it for what it's worth, but, I'd not own a diesel anything as a daily driver unless I had a 30+ mi one-way highway drive daily.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with comments on diesels, If they were allowed to open them up and breath like they used to, I think they'd be great, with all the emission control crap on them now, just so many things to go wrong in the future with them. The gas engines have seen such huge performance gains in the last 10 years its crazy. If you are going to do a lot of towing then yes a diesel is probably what the doctor ordered but with how most pickups are used, I would not go that route especially in a half ton.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanx guyz,sums it up nicely...i'll opt out of this 3lit diesel,looking at engine specs for this new generation 1500 chevy truck I see GM phased out the 4.3 v-6...no issues with the 5.3,6.2 lit is over kill for me,GM has re-invented they're 2.7 turbo 4 banger,pushing it hard,310 Hp, 25mpg's running lite/empty,hard to swallow a 4 banger spending $50k

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
trail boss looks awesome --- made in mexico doesnt have a electric seat on passenger side plus still runs that 5.3 oil burner. Toyota took a hard look - said nope lets put a turbo in. Please chevy quit that active fuel management system and put a elec seats as standard equipment.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had a GMC on order since June 1st. Received an email that the build date will be set soon. Selling the 3/4 ton 6.6 Duramax and going with the new 3L. Three years ago my wife had spinal fusion and the 3/4 ton rides to rough.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has GM solved their electrical gremlins? It still seems like 90% or more of the time I see a one-eyed monster coming down the highway at night it's sporting a bowtie. That may seem trivial to some, but it is unacceptable to me.

I still have my 2009 F250 with the 6.4 diesel engine. There have been 5 repairs in 150k miles. 3 radiator hoses (2 under warranty), an exhaust gas backpressure sensor, and just recently an exhaust manifold replacement. In general I drive it like SDMF suggests, it's not my daily driver so I can choose when it gets to stretch itself out going some distance. I live about 8-10 miles from work and it barely gets up to normal operating temp if I use it as my commuter. Ford gave me a grill cover, and that helps when I use it, but I don't know that it's the end all solution to how it can be brought up to operating temp sooner.

Overall it's been a damn great truck, but a modern diesel must get some exercise or she'll have issues, especially with the whole exhaust filter regen cycle. I've spent several hours and miles extending my drive home because of it hitting a regen cycle right before I am at my destination. It'd be nice if they had an option for triggering the regen cycle so I can do it on the last half hour of a trip home from the lake.

I guess I've been lucky, I don't find the maintenance on a diesel that much more expensive than a gas powered vehicle. Yeah, fuel filters and oil change are probably 2X that for a gas, but other than that I haven't been able to document the extra expense everyone talks about. knock on wood....

- - - Updated - - -

Note: The F250 is still stock. I can't imagine needing more towing power to the point I'd want to chip it and run it out of design specs.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
trail boss looks awesome --- made in mexico doesnt have a electric seat on passenger side plus still runs that 5.3 oil burner. Toyota took a hard look - said nope lets put a turbo in. Please chevy quit that active fuel management system and put a elec seats as standard equipment.
For about $100 you can bypass the active fuel management

- - - Updated - - -

063C96EE-24B4-498B-80BD-98F27EEB9334.jpg

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skeeter like you my 2012 has had few repairs. Twice I have had to replace a glow plug, and that is the total repairs. We have a third vehicle so it does have only 106K miles. I'm having a tough time deciding if I let the dealer have it for $30K or put it on Bisman and Craigslist.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
from what i understand is turning off the active fuel management with chip can lead to more issues. The oil delivery system throws back the oil to the sump goes up on the cylinder walls and your back burning oil. GM just needs to do away with this system. How many class action lawsuits does it take to rap them on the head. Obama motors should of went bankrupt; a much stronger company would of came out of it.

Electrical problems will be the future. Allan talks about GM, Ford has issues to. I can think of three issues recently i have had camera in the tail gate (imo a design feature), rear lights yes for sure a design feature, rear door (again design how many years have we had vehicles with power to the door), flimsy wires.

Yes each one i could fix myself with you tube; each could of been avoided.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electrical problems will be the future. Allan talks about GM, Ford has issues to. I can think of three issues recently i have had camera in the tail gate (imo a design feature), rear lights yes for sure a design feature, rear door (again design how many years have we had vehicles with power to the door), flimsy wires.

Starting to have to run down the odd gremlin in my '11. Replaced the 4-gang power-window switch @ the driver's position. 3 worked 100% up/down no problems. The driver's window would go down 100% of the time then it was a coin toss as to how much you'd have to fiddle w/the switch to get back up. Ordered the switch, 15min fix. The wipers also decided they'd start wiping @ random times on the slowest delay setting so it might take a few miles before you knew they'd quit acting up. 10Min, new blinker/wiper stalk installed, problem fixed.

Currently my radio/bluetooth works as it should, except, the lights on the radio don't work so you have to remember the sequence to get the bluetooth hooked up and if you want a radio station that's not one of the pre-programmed stations you just need to tune/seek through the whole works. That's not a difficult fix either, bit more time than the switches, and, I need to decide what I want in there. A factory replacement or something aftermarket w/more features????

I've replaced a few bulbs but no true wiring gremlins, just burnt bulbs.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
from what i understand is turning off the active fuel management with chip can lead to more issues. The oil delivery system throws back the oil to the sump goes up on the cylinder walls and your back burning oil. GM just needs to do away with this system. How many class action lawsuits does it take to rap them on the head. Obama motors should of went bankrupt; a much stronger company would of came out of it.

Yes each one i could fix myself with you tube; each could of been avoided.
I don’t understand how it can be bad. The injectors are hydraulically operated so when by passing the AFM system you run on all 8 injectors. When the system is on and you are only running on 4 holes then that oil has to bypass the injectors to they don’t fire but I don’t know how it would ever get to the cylinder wall unless you have a bad injector.

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just bought a new 2021 F150 with the 5.0L/10 speed. First 2,000 miles love it - went to the Black Hills last week...averaged 20.5mpg doing 75 mph...impressive! Curious to see how she does mpg wise this spring when pulling the boat. The 2014 F150 with the 5.0/6 speed got about 13mpg towing boat when wind not a factor. Looked hard at the Chevy Trailboss with the 6.2L, but the set up/interior/lack of navigation quickly changed my mind...plus about $5K more. The navigation system in the Ford is incredible - the gravel roads in the Black Hills were accurately portrayed...really pleasant surprise. Only complaint I have on the new 150 are the side mirrors...too small IMO. I have the XLT/Sport trim...wish the side mirrors were just a little bigger.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t understand how it can be bad. The injectors are hydraulically operated so when by passing the AFM system you run on all 8 injectors. When the system is on and you are only running on 4 holes then that oil has to bypass the injectors to they don’t fire but I don’t know how it would ever get to the cylinder wall unless you have a bad injector.

FIL just put $3500 into a lifter-fail repair on a 5.3L in a ?2017-2018? Tahoe. Lifter was on the "shutdown" side. 115K Mi or so on the rig and 0 towing.

I don't like intermittently shutting down a bank of cylinders. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like stop-sign/stop-light full shutdown with any/all turbo equipped engines independent of fuel type.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
FIL just put $3500 into a lifter-fail repair on a 5.3L in a ?2017-2018? Tahoe. Lifter was on the "shutdown" side. 115K Mi or so on the rig and 0 towing.

I don't like intermittently shutting down a bank of cylinders. I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't like stop-sign/stop-light full shutdown with any/all turbo equipped engines independent of fuel type.
GM as been fighting this lifter issue for years now. Not sure why they can’t figure it out. My friend’s 2019 trailboss with 6000 miles had lifters fail on both side. I’m ordering a AFM delete for my 2020 and that will all disable the auto shutdown at lights, ( although mine actually has a switch to shut it off which previous didn’t). People I know that have deleted the AFM say they lose about 1.5 to 2 mpg. Over time that will add up to a lifter repair I guess but I’ll take my chances.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with comments on diesels, If they were allowed to open them up and breath like they used to, I think they'd be great, with all the emission control crap on them now, just so many things to go wrong in the future with them. The gas engines have seen such huge performance gains in the last 10 years its crazy. If you are going to do a lot of towing then yes a diesel is probably what the doctor ordered but with how most pickups are used, I would not go that route especially in a half ton.

If this was possible without getting a guy in trouble, the new 3.0 diesels would really be something in the new 1/2 tons.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
GM as been fighting this lifter issue for years now. Not sure why they can’t figure it out. My friend’s 2019 trailboss with 6000 miles had lifters fail on both side. I’m ordering a AFM delete for my 2020 and that will all disable the auto shutdown at lights, ( although mine actually has a switch to shut it off which previous didn’t). People I know that have deleted the AFM say they lose about 1.5 to 2 mpg. Over time that will add up to a lifter repair I guess but I’ll take my chances.

Research it before disabling - i thought it needs different cam or something if you delete. i would leave it -- dump it down the road. If you have an 8 speed dump it quicker.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 2017 gmc with the 8 speed yep got the run around since i was 500 miles over the warranty. traded on a tundra. I had a new 08 silverado that started falling apart at 80k and by 100k i was tired of fixing door handles window switches door harnesses and issues with the dropping to 4 cylinder

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88