Are you spreading CWD

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nicholas Haley, DVM and PhD 4:17 p.m. MST January 22, 2016
B9320610892Z.1_20160122181707_000_G3UD82OMP.1-0.jpg

This undated photo provided by the journal Science shows white-tailed deer at the Colorado State University Chronic wasting disease Research Facility in Fort Collins, Colo. (Photo: AP File Photo/Science, Edward A. Hoover)

1803 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 9 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Perhaps no issue is as controversial in the hunting community right now as Chronic Wasting Disease. There’s constant finger-pointing and a lot of theories about how it will change hunting forever for the worse. But fortunately, emerging scientific research suggests that CWD doesn’t have to be the scourge that many fear.
Last year, a herd at an Iowa ranch was depopulated after one of the animals tested positive for CWD, as is standard U.S. Department of Agriculture protocol. However, the situation took years to resolve as the ranch owner fought for a more equitable solution. As such, CWD naturally spread among the animals.
This provided a unique opportunity for testing of the animals, since depopulation normally occurs relatively quickly. After testing and euthanizing the entire herd, sadly a large percentage were identified as CWD positive. The silver lining was that 20 percent were negative, and we are currently looking at a genetic link to resistance in these animals.
If we can further characterize this resistance in deer, that’s very promising. As CWD spreads — and it will, since you can’t stop free-ranging deer from moving around — then the deer that are more genetically susceptible to the disease will die off at higher rates than those that are less genetically susceptible. The net result will be a hardier population of deer that is more resistant to CWD. With farmed deer, there’s the potential to select for this resistance faster than nature herself could.
Other research has pushed the genetic resistance theory. The Wyoming Department of Fish and Game and the University of Wyoming jointly conducted a study, published last year, indicating that if CWD hit elk populations in the state’s northeastern region, the populations would bounce back.
It’s possible that genetic selection has already been occurring in areas such as Wyoming and Colorado. CWD was first found in a free-ranging deer in Colorado in 1985. Yet researchers in Colorado have noted that CWD does not appear to have had any significant effect on the deer population size. Similarly, CWD was first found in elk in Colorado in 1981, and elk numbers have grown since then.
The Iowa herd didn’t only provide a boost to genetics research. The samples collected from the animals also contributed to efforts to develop an antemortem, or live-animal, test. Currently, CWD can only be detected by using the tissue of deceased animals, making it difficult to monitor. A breakthrough here would make managing CWD much easier and more precise.
Elsewhere, new research has looked at ways through which CWD can be transmitted. A study published this year found that CWD could be transmitted by plant matter. Researchers demonstrated that wheat grass roots and leaves could take up prions (infected proteins that make up CWD and similar diseases) if exposed to infected urine or feces. When this same plant matter was fed to hamsters, the animals became infected.
If CWD can be transmitted by plants, then that raises a whole host of questions about the transportation of hay and other animal feed.
Taken together, what does this all mean for hunters?
It means CWD will continue to spread, and there’s not much we can do about it at the moment. Political efforts to restrict or ban deer and elk farming are pointless, because CWD has long been in the wild, where we can’t get rid of it due to the resilient nature of prions. On the contrary, farmed cervids may represent controlled populations where, as we’ve shown, advancements in CWD detection and prevention can be made quickly. These advancements not only benefit farmed deer and elk, but wild populations as well.
In the short term, we may see a slight dip in some deer populations as the disease spreads. But in the long run, we should expect deer populations to be hardy as genes that provide resistance to CWD increase in prevalence.
As for research, live-animal tests have decent accuracy — though not yet perfect. Expect them to get better.
The news stories about CWD popping up here and there won’t stop. But progress is being made against CWD, even if it’s slow.
Dr. Haley is an assistant professor with the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Midwestern University’s Glendale, Ariz., campus.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year, a herd at an Iowa ranch was depopulated after one of the animals tested positive for CWD, as is standard U.S. Department of Agriculture protocol. However, the situation took years to resolve as the ranch owner fought for a more equitable solution.

Everyone complains about taxes, but if the gov does something they think they have won the lottery. Sort of like the $7000 and acre they want for the burn in South Dakota. What's he want $10000 per deer?

I hope they are right about CWD not being that serious. I do get a kick out of some guys one here quoting scientists out of one side of their mouth and raging against them out of the other side of their mouth.

As I said, I hope they do some more research and determine what needs to be done or for that matter not done.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
. I do get a kick out of some guys one here quoting scientists out of one side of their mouth and raging against them out of the other side of their mouth.

It is pretty easy plainsman, not all scientists are alike.

Some use science to determine the outcome of their studies, some use agendas to determine the outcome of their studies.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plains said,

Everyone complains about taxes, but if the gov does something they think they have won the lottery. Sort of like the $7000 and acre they want for the burn in South Dakota. What's he want $10000 per deer?

Plains, you are too predictable. Accusing that the compensation at $10,0000 per animal would come from the taxpayers.

What happened is this farm had not imported an animal in ten years. Completely self sufficient. It was two facilities, breeding part and hunting. The hunting part was in rough country several miles removed from the ranch. How they got the disease is a mystery. A two year old buck that had been bottle fed, was moved from the breeding facility, hauled to the hunting facility and was shot a few days later. He looked very healthy but came up positive. When he was born he was fed sheep's colostrum and milk. The question is, did the colostrum come from sheep infected with scrapie? Scrapie is a TSE sister disease.

The Brakkes agreed to depopulate every animal they had and thought they would run the whole works through their hunting facility killing them all. They didn't want a dime from the taxpayers. However, in a rush to cooperate, they signed a piece of paper with the authorities agreeing not to sell any animals or move animals to another ranch/premise. In their wildest dreams they didn't think that included their hunting facility, a separate ranch/premise from their breeding facility. Lesson: when you sign something with the gubment use extreme caution.

As the Brakkes dragged their feet for a more equitable deal, it worked out for sportsmen, rancher, scientists, researchers etc. because the Brakkes opened their ranch/premise for science.

How CWD got into a herd that had been closed to any importation of animals for ten years is a mystery.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some use science to determine the outcome of their studies, some use agendas to determine the outcome of their studies.

gst how do you tell the difference?
Plains, you are too predictable. Accusing that the compensation at $10,0000 per animal would come from the taxpayers.

From the article Fritz posted:
However, the situation took years to resolve as the ranch owner fought for a more equitable solution.

The $10K figure is hyperbole (maybe) to make a point. Who do you think will pay the rancher the tooth fairy? The gov is us, and the only money they have is what we give them in taxes. You sound like the black lady with her Obama phone. Who would pay the ranchers $7K and acre for one season in South Dakota. They are not shafting the gov, they are shafting all of us taxpayers. The gov doesn't have a money tree, and it doesn't come from Obama's stash.

You and gst always hijack threads to your favorite Bundy topic. This is about CWD and I think we need research to find out what has to be done, how radical a control is needed, and even if control is needed. You two praise science out of one side of your mouth and ridicule it out of the other side of your mouth. Other people do the same thing that's for sure, but what's your qualifications to know the difference other than your wallet? You guys maybe don't want to be transparent, but you are.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!! WAGS WINS!!!! The Plainsman, GST, and Fritz trifecta in the center ring. Vollmer, this thread now REALLY needs to go to the political section. Thanks!!!!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!! WAGS WINS!!!! The Plainsman, GST, and Fritz trifecta in the center ring. Vollmer, this thread now REALLY needs to go to the political section. Thanks!!!!

Do we have a sportsman's concerns section, or maybe a conservation section? Somewhere sportsmen looking to the future can talk? That would be good, and non partisan. Politics often divides people when it should not.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a "We are sick of hearing the GST, PLAINSMAN, FRITZ THE CAT argue while blowing up the (reply with quote button)" section. AKA the political section. Your OP was about CWD and the panic mongering it was AGAIN shot down due to lack of evidence. So now the thread went on to taxes, the bundy's, and the gov. I don't care who brought up what. It's now a political discussion. Give it a rest already. Vollmer made a Political section at the request of the rest of the members to prevent discussions that have no end from clogging up the recent threads section. There you are free to argue with the other two opposing views to your hearts content without involving the rest of us.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

You cannot begin to understand how tired of this I am also.

In 1967 at those facilities in Wyoming and Colorado where they were doing nutritional studies, they housed deer together with sheep that were infected with Scrapie. Did it jump specie?

Scrapie in sheep was a very serious issue back when. Since that time they have found some sheep that are less or not susceptible at all to scrapie. Sheep that are susceptible to scrapie are largely being bred out of the gene pool. Question is, through natural selection, will elk and deer adapt to do the same?

Lots of questions here like who is testing sheep colostrum and milk to see if it contains prions? We all remember MAD COW disease and we now know it is unwise to grind up bones from cattle for bone meal and feed it back to cattle. Cows got BSE from eating that and it did jump specie from cattle to humans. Dan Grove DVM from ND Game and Fish has talked about CWD and is adamant that CWD does not jump specie from deer to humans.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
All in favor of moving the thread so these 3 can battle it out say aye.

For the record i am pretty sure that my 308, 270, and other guns combined have killed more deer than CWD.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This "new" mosquito virus they're trying to panic us with was identified in the early 1940's.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

It took a bit, but plainsman can not help himself and a thread about ranchers pulled the veil he was hiding behind back to show his true colors.

There was supposed to be a fix for that on this site that was different from the other two sites that died, one of which he moderates that neither fritz or I are on any longer.

If plainsman wants ot post like Prairie Ghost no problem, if he wants to post like plainsman ...............well he has two sites he can go do that on.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a "We are sick of hearing the GST, PLAINSMAN, FRITZ THE CAT argue while blowing up the (reply with quote button)" section. AKA the political section. Your OP was about CWD and the panic mongering it was AGAIN shot down due to lack of evidence. So now the thread went on to taxes, the bundy's, and the gov. I don't care who brought up what. It's now a political discussion. Give it a rest already. Vollmer made a Political section at the request of the rest of the members to prevent discussions that have no end from clogging up the recent threads section. There you are free to argue with the other two opposing views to your hearts content without involving the rest of us.

In the future if I have something I think will be a hot topic I'll put it in the political section. Thanks.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm packing deep woods OFF, on my cabo trip. I'm feeling pretty tight about my situation. Iffn I get Zika, iylts crappy, especially when excuses are some links

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was I Puerto Vallarta a week ago, and never seen a mosquito! :;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119