Are you spreading CWD

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is an interesting article in Petersons Hunting, March edition, page 11. Science now suspects we may be spreading Chronic Wasting Disease through the use of urine lure while we bow hunt. To date 140 game farms have tested positive for CWD. Ten of those facilities provide 90% of the urine we use as a lure.

There is a real head scratcher about CWD and game farms. Game farms that have tested safe, and say they have purchased no new animals, years later test positive for CWD. Latent perhaps, in the soil, perhaps, but no wild deer near test positive. The other problem is even bleach isn't killing the spread.

I think when we bow hunt we perhaps have to drop the use of urine. Especially the type that advertises pure with no preservatives, keep refrigerated. Many states have already banned deer urine. Also there is a program called the deer protection program that does not allow transfer of deer from one state to another.

Not that many years ago sportsmen took things like this very seriously. I hope we don't relegate this to a global warming liberal plot. I have not used urine much. Perhaps try it once a year. I'm throwing mine out.

Edit: When I read the ads about pure etc. I always envisioned laboratory clean, pvc hoses running from catch buckets etc. Now I read feces, urine, and saliva often drain to the same receptacle and must be strained before sale. Another vision falls flat.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWD is the biggest overhype crock of shit I've seen in a long time. I have lived and hunted allot in the area where it all got started and is at its worst (front range of the Rockies near Boulder) and can tell you the only thing that has changed in the 40 years since it got going is there are more deer and elk then ever! People get all freaked out about it when it first shows up and then after a few years realize it's much ado about nothing! My favorite was Wisconsin for their idea to fix the problem was to kill all the deer in the area! Ah what so you want to kill 100% of the deer so they won't get a soil Born disease... Yeah almost makes sense! I know you guys are from Wisconsin and all but you do realize the dirt will still be there with the new deer come back right?;:;badidea

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn;t get anyone to bite over on Nodak Outdoors? ;)

Mr Nelson, I don;t think that was the kind of response plainsman was fishing for. :)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not opposed to the idea, but 1st I'd like to see scientific evidence of CWD being bioavailable in deer urine.

I've never bought, borrowed, or procured on my own any deer urine so the use/non-use isn't a big deal to me other than I don't care for extra regulation.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Page 12: Archery Trade Association Director Mitch King understands the concerns and will not oppose bans.

CWD is the biggest overhype crock of shit I've seen in a long time.

That doesn't sound objective. It sounds like you have a dog in the fight. CWD is a very complex problem what are your qualifications for such a bold statement?

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
25 years of being around it. I have no dog in the fight just can recognize stupid bullshit when I see it. It's not hard to spot....sort of like your fishing expeditions!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along the line of ANS till we kill all the water birds it is like fighting AIDS with asprin. So some one is smart and started this as they will be the person marketing non cwd pee.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
25 years of being around it. I have no dog in the fight just can recognize stupid bullshit when I see it. It's not hard to spot....sort of like your fishing expeditions!

So you took it in by osmosis. Being around it qualifies you. That's about as lame as it gets. If that were true all prison guards would turn into murderers, and all psychologist would turn into raving madmen. So in other words your totally unqualified right?

Sorry this isn't a fishing expedition. This is something we should all be concerned with as sportsmen and it was in this months Peterson's Hunting.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not opposed to the idea, but 1st I'd like to see scientific evidence of CWD being bioavailable in deer urine.

I've never bought, borrowed, or procured on my own any deer urine so the use/non-use isn't a big deal to me other than I don't care for extra regulation.

Si.

- - - Updated - - -

Page 12: Archery Trade Association Director Mitch King understands the concerns and will not oppose bans.

That doesn't sound objective. It sounds like you have a dog in the fight. CWD is a very complex problem what are your qualifications for such a bold statement?

Hell, I'll take a stab at this one! How about a few decades of liberal non-sense? Still ain't scairt of stationary lead.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you took it in by osmosis. Being around it qualifies you. That's about as lame as it gets. If that were true all prison guards would turn into murderers, and all psychologist would turn into raving madmen. So in other words your totally unqualified right?

Sorry this isn't a fishing expedition. This is something we should all be concerned with as sportsmen and it was in this months Peterson's Hunting.

So you read about it in a magazine and took it in through osmosis! That's about as lame as it gets!:;:lame

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you read about it in a magazine and took it in through osmosis! That's about as lame as it gets!:;:lame

:)Touche. The best scientists are struggling to understand CWD. I think we need more research before we know what has to be done. With what we do know I am in play it safe mode. I am curious Dean why you are so sure.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would hope not. I've had moderate success with doe estrous. Enough so that I would like to keep it in my arsenal. Of course, if it's outlawed, then I won't have to buy a 1oz $12 bottle of piss ever again.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just pee on the ground yourself works the same in my limited experience

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with sdmf tho. Very much against new regs, especially "feel good" ones

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
:)Touche. The best scientists are struggling to understand CWD. I think we need more research before we know what has to be done. With what we do know I am in play it safe mode. I am curious Dean why you are so sure.

I'm not sure about the disease I'm sure about the overreaction that tends to follow it. If there are prions in the urine everybody better stock up now because that will be outlawed everywhere and should be. It may in fact be the answer to the question of how CWD magically shows up in the middle of nowhere nowhere near any other cases. But deer with CWD live for years so its over all impact is vary small unless it gets into an area with an overpopulation of deer. For us its threat is vary minimal.... Now if I was down in Georgia with a density of a couple hundred deer per square mile I might be a little bit more nervous about it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It sure appears the state Game and Fish dept around the nation are taking it serious. Is that over reaction, or do they know something we don't know? It's been a few years now that you can't bring whole animals from some states. No bones, and if you want the skull it has to be processed before bringing into the state. Dean what are people doing that you think is an overreaction? You don't hear much about mad cow (other than Hillary) anymore. Is it because it's not in this nation?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just pee on the ground yourself works the same in my limited experience

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with sdmf tho. Very much against new regs, especially "feel good" ones
There may be enough similarities between my pee and buck pee but I doubt my pee smells like doe estrous.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://wisconsinwatch.org/2013/09/prions-in-plants-new-concern-for-chronic-wasting-disease/

Prions — the infectious, deformed proteins that cause chronic wasting disease in deer — can be taken up by plants such as alfalfa, corn and tomatoes, according to new research from the National Wildlife Health Center in Madison.

Johnson is scheduled to present his research at the annual meeting of The Wildlife Society in Milwaukee in October. Johnson studies CWD at the federal wildlife disease center, which is run by the U.S. Geological Survey. His earlier work found CWD prions can linger in and be amplified and transmitted by soil.

“That is very disconcerting,” George Meyer, executive director of the nonprofit Wisconsin Wildlife Federation, said of the research.

Dean Nelson is right. The funding has dried up from the fed/gov and the only way to get more funding for CWD research is fear. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88