Back Straps

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may seem like a stupid question, but do you all "cook" your meat in a sous vide system and then toss it on a super hot grill, or skillet to give it a little char before you eat it.

It's an honest question, because I can't imagine eating a steak, tenderloin, or backstrap without at least a little bit of grill/pan marks.

My wife and I have been using the sous vide for 2-3 years. Reverse sear once pulling out of the water bath. We have not found a meat that is not fantastic with this method.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, gives the meat a good crust and a little char flavor.

If you aren't cooking something as amazing as a backstrap, you can also put butter and seasonings in the bag with the meat, and oh man, is it so worth it. Pheasant breast with butter, ribeye's with garlic butter, damn, now I'm getting hungry!
Bingo butter damn hot cast iron pan quick and fast. Damn yummy. Just like ice fishing cooking back straps or any meat cant be beat.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here goes.

IMG_5844.jpeg

Salt and pepper, let acclimate on the countertop while I prepped potatoes and corn.

IMG_5845.jpeg

After a bit, seared both sides in CI pan with butter.

IMG_5846.jpeg

After searing, into the oven for a bit to finish it up. And some more butter for good measure.

IMG_5847.jpeg

Pulled them out at about 125. My thermometer was acting up but it was about 8 minutes at 450.

IMG_5848.jpeg

Let them rest and hit the bacon with the blowtorch, then onto the plate to hang with its potatoes and fresh corn buddies.

IMG_5849.jpeg

Then into my belly.

IMG_5850.jpeg

I think it was a touch overcooked, but still dang good. Need a drooling emoji.

The wacky thermopen didn’t help me out. I’m gonna blame that lol. I’ve got some family visiting in a couple weeks and I think I’ll do up one of the roasts then.
Still looks really good sir.

Longtine

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son and I took the boat to a small island on the east coast of Florida and we’ve been camping a few nights. I did a venison tenderloin on the Smokey Joe this evening for dinner. Nothing better than delicious wild game when camping! I think I need to invest in some fishing gear too.

IMG_5963.jpeg
That steak looks amazing.......sounds like the story is even better.

bilbo

Honored Member
I made a separate thread in the General forum with a rundown of the trip. It was a good time!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88