Backpack Hunters

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have hunted some rugged western badlands of ND, but never set up camp, in early, hunt all day, then head back to a town. I am one that likes to finish a long day of hunting with a rare rib eye, and a couple of cocktails, served by an underpaid, over worked, stoner waiter that cant finish his sentences.

Sounds like a ton of fun though, might be on the bottom of my bucket list for now.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do a few backpack hunts a year.....have both a single man tent and a floorless tarp. Both have their place.

IMG_1112_zpsx7lncbjh.jpg

IMG_1034_zpsfa1a58f1.jpg

As i get older I find I much prefer this however:

DSC00109_zpsdwihrz6p.jpg

DSC00117_zpskzub7hay.jpg

Or even this:

IMG_1131_zpspqp96y41.jpg

Last edited:

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whisky, is that a tarptent? Scarp 1 or 2? I have been seriously looking into those. What do you think?

One other note from my experience backpack hunting, do not I repeat do not skimp on the sleep system. Bag and pad. If you can't stay warm in the bag you packed in it will ruin the hunt.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whisky, is that a tarptent? Scarp 1 or 2? I have been seriously looking into those. What do you think?

One other note from my experience backpack hunting, do not I repeat do not skimp on the sleep system. Bag and pad. If you can't stay warm in the bag you packed in it will ruin the hunt.

Correct, Scarp 1. I really like it, for what it is. Handles weather very well, and is super quick and easy to pitch. Mine is seam sealed and have never been wet from rain. Condensation can get things damp but mostly that stays between the nest and the fly. Have never used a ground sheet and the floor has held up in various terrains. Around 5 years with it now I think.

And solid advice on the sleep system. Don't go cheap......and test shit out before you get in the back country!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never done a backpack hunt but its on my list of things to do. I have a dumb question can a guy set up camp anywhere as long its on the public grounds or does each state have different rules.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never done a backpack hunt but its on my list of things to do. I have a dumb question can a guy set up camp anywhere as long its on the public grounds or does each state have different rules.

For the most part yes, definitely check local regs tho

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes thats hard to figure out. A few years ago we camped in a new area, woke up covered in deer. They didn't care much about our camp site apparently. It's now one of my go to spots for glassing.... I don't camp there anymore tho..

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man having hunted out in CO for years I'm getting tired just reading this thread! I'm only 37 but I can say for a fact that backpack hunting is a young man's game and I ain't young enough! I can feel my lungs burning already! For those of you doing it for the first time remember to take a look at the base elevation at your starting point and at your campsite and take it into account. It matters little how well you can haul your pack around out here if your starting at eight and going up from there. Seen many a tough guy come rolling up to the high country and make it only a couple hundred yards up the trail before being forced to stop to catch their breath all the while bitching that CO really needs to invest in some more oxygen!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man having hunted out in CO for years I'm getting tired just reading this thread! I'm only 37 but I can say for a fact that backpack hunting is a young man's game and I ain't young enough! I can feel my lungs burning already! For those of you doing it for the first time remember to take a look at the base elevation at your starting point and at your campsite and take it into account. It matters little how well you can haul your pack around out here if your starting at eight and going up from there. Seen many a tough guy come rolling up to the high country and make it only a couple hundred yards up the trail before being forced to stop to catch their breath all the while bitching that CO really needs to invest in some more oxygen!
Or elevators.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
what tent are you running i have been looking at the seek out side cimarron.

http://store.seekoutside.com/the-cimarron/

I plan on getting cimarron as well, prolly after the first of the year. I really want a shelter with the option of having a stove.

This is another solid, lightweight, floor-less shelter; http://www.mountainsmith.com/index.php/products/all-tents/mountain-shelter-lt.html . My only complaint is it's a little tight on space.

Like Whisky stated, tarptent makes a solid tent as well. I don't use my scarp 2 very much anymore though, I am liking a floor-less shelter so much better.

I also suggest you guys look into the quilts that are out there. I don't ever see myself going back to a mummy bag. I can't stand the cramped feeling in one. Both of these companies make a solid quilt, I own one from each.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/quilts-1/

http://www.hammockgear.com/down-quilts/

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The general opinion seems like everyone is looking for a floor-less shelter nowadays, why? Am I missing something or it is personal preference? What are the advantages to floor-less? I am a floor in my tent kind of guy, but could be persuaded...

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is still a time and place for a floored shelter but I will reach for a floor-less more often than not. Also, it comes down to personal preference.

For me, I like being able to crawl into my shelter w/o taking my boots off, generally lighter weight and more pack-able, more usable room, if you have to take a leak in the middle of the night you can just roll over and let it flow, option to have a wood stove. A few things off the top of my head.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
The general opinion seems like everyone is looking for a floor-less shelter nowadays, why? Am I missing something or it is personal preference? What are the advantages to floor-less? I am a floor in my tent kind of guy, but could be persuaded...

The biggest reason for me and floorless is the ability to run a stove. Early season when there are skeeters to deal with, and warm temps, I'll pack the tent every time. If it's consistently around freezing or below, I'll pack the tarp and stove. Anything in between is just what I feel like at the time I guess. If you get back in somewhere and wet weather sinks in without a means to dry out in cold temps, you're screwed. I know guys chased off the mountain every year for this reason. And I have been one of them.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, there are more on here than I would have thought that backpack or at least aren't road hunters. If anyone is looking for a partner to do some serious hunts, shoot me a message. I need to find a hunting partner that isn't afraid of putting on some serious miles up and down the mountains.

- - - Updated - - -

I pretty much agree with what Frosty said. Not worrying about making a mess and tracking in mud and such is a big reason for me to go floorless.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, I am in knowledge absorption mode... What kind of stoves are you running, at this point backpacking for me is literally pack on my back, no horses in for spiking. Are the stoves this pack able? The main reason for floorless seems to be no mud and inside when the weather is snitty (rain, wet). When it rains and weather turns crappy isn't the floor on the inside of the tent a mess, with floorles?

Last edited:

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most backpack stoves are made from titanium. There are a few different designs out there from different companies, mostly you have a cylinder type or a box type. They are surprisingly light and packable.

Stove components in the 2 bags on the left, light saw on the right....my stove is a 12" Ed T stove

DSC00200%202_zpssrtnnjoa.jpg

IMG_1033_zpsea4344d6.jpg

With a floorless, pitch location is absolutely critical. I'll never forget our first year with the tarps brother and I went into a new area blind and pitched em in the shittiest spot imaginable. But we were limited to our knowledge of the area, and not a lot of open flat spots at times. Well the weather came, and stayed. My brother had an aftermarket floor for his tarp which turned into a nice waterbed for him. I ended up constructing drainage ditches in mine to funnel the water away from my sleep system. Lessons learned the hard way usually aren't forgotten.

If you are running a stove and you set up on wet ground the stove will dry that ground out in a hurry. With my tarp in hard rains (assuming you're pitched in a good spot) you only get seepage about a couple inches in from the edges, the rest stays dry.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, there are more on here than I would have thought that backpack or at least aren't road hunters. If anyone is looking for a partner to do some serious hunts, shoot me a message. I need to find a hunting partner that isn't afraid of putting on some serious miles up and down the mountains.
\.

Finding a good hunting partner can be tougher then finding a good wife! I do a lot of stuff solo because of that.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
That seekoutside Cimarron with a nest will be my next shelter purchase unless something comes out in the meantime. The additional nest at least gives you both the floored and floorless option. Buggy weather for two, a nest seems to be easier than bivy's. I have a Golite SL5 now and the Cimarron has a few nice additional features.

More than anything, the correct pitch location is more important than having a floor or floorless shelter. Finding some ground that is going to shed water away from the shelter will be huge. I have been in a floorless in some pretty bad shit and with the right location, the ground stays dry inside the shelter and is dam nice to crawl in and not worry about mud.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84