Baitcaster guru's

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of interesting points and etc.....I shall see how this all plays out for me.....lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm also in the LH retrieve camp. 10/2 PP for me on the vast majority of my bait casters. The only round bait casters I throw are a 401 Shimano Calcutta and a 5601 Abu both on Muskie rigs, other than that it's Shimano Castaic, Calais, Chronarch, or Curado.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am l handed so I cast with left reel with right hand. I struggle with a spinning reel. Born with a bait caster never used anything else

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always presumed that bass pros fish all day and everyday. For this reason they adapted the method of casting with one arm/shoulder/elbow and then retrieving with the other. This spreads out the strain across twice the joints/muscle.

my right arm/shoulder do get heap wompum tired if pitching cranks all day without ever switching for example.

anybody know if this is the actual reason? Just a guess on my part.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am l handed so I cast with left reel with right hand. I struggle with a spinning reel. Born with a bait caster never used anything else

We need to modify the terminology IMHO. IE; left SIDE crank/right SIDE crank. As a lefty your cranks should be on the right side of the reel. Unless you're using an old Garcia Mitchell, spinning reel crank handles are an easy swap on a spinning.

- - - Updated - - -

I have always presumed that bass pros fish all day and everyday. For this reason they adapted the method of casting with one arm/shoulder/elbow and then retrieving with the other. This spreads out the strain across twice the joints/muscle.

my right arm/shoulder do get heap wompum tired if pitching cranks all day without ever switching for example.

I have heard of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHM4AL7LdU

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone that can't cast an 1/8 oz lure 80 yards with a baitcaster is failed fisherman and might as well stick to the Zebco 33 and bobbers.
What birdsnest? That's just my reel exploding with joy.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned on cheep bait casters. It was tough. I picked up a ardent a couple years ago that is the smoothest one I have used. I haven't gotten to play with a 300$ dollar one tho.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some Shimano Calcuttas that have worked great for me on my river dead sticks and trolling/bottom bouncing. I have not tried to be a hero and cast an 1/8 oz jig, though. I only remember having to fix about 3 backlashes in the last 5 years and they were preventable if I would have adjusted the tension or would have been paying more attention.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use both for different baits and types of fishing. As far as real hand... I real right handed on my bait casters and left handed on my spinning reals. I have no idea why, other than that my first bait caster was a right handed one and it stuck. Trying the opposite on either now is just plain uncomfortable.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
i watched a show last week with a guy throwing a frog what looked like 60 - 70' then floated... i found one at sportsmans today... the thing would have floated up to the ceiling if i took it out of the package...

those bass guys are magic...

You've reached the expert level when you can skip that frog 20 feet under a dock with a baitcaster.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a bass guy but certainly no pro. However, I cast and retrieve in this same manner. I have no idea why we do it. I just know that nearly all of us do. I even do it with spinning rods too, although I'm the only person I know that does that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 14
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5