Barrel burners

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't reload you will probably never shoot out or "burn" up a barrel, especially on a cannon like a 28 nosler. Mostly because you won't be doing load work up with different powders and bullets and seating depth testing. You will probably buy some hornady factory precision or match ammo and the gun will shoot a 3/4" group once so you will take the speed off the box of bullets, and type that into a ballistic calculator, then start shooting at a 12" gong at 500 yards then move out to a 24" gong at 800. You will get a few hits in once in a while, and be satisfied with your "submoa" rifle and start lobbing shots out at deer at 800 yards when you draw your first Muley/Elk tag ever. All of a sudden you realize in the last 10 years you have shot 4 boxes of ammo or 80 rounds down the "barrel burner" and realize hunting rifles really dont get shot a lot and the accuracy that will diminish from shooting 80-800 rounds in all reality isn't that big of a deal because most people shoot minute of paper plate anyways at 200 yards.

Or you will fall into a dark rabbit hole that will consume your life and checkbook if you aren't careful and start buying hundreds of pounds of powder and 10's of thousands of primers and bullets. Because you now realize you never actually knew what accuracy was and you then treat rebarreling a rifle like buying new tires.

Side note have had a couple factory carbon barrel rifles all of them shot great in magnums and prc's for what that is worth.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't reload you will probably never shoot out or "burn" up a barrel, especially on a cannon like a 28 nosler. Mostly because you won't be doing load work up with different powders and bullets and seating depth testing. You will probably buy some hornady factory precision or match ammo and the gun will shoot a 3/4" group once so you will take the speed off the box of bullets, and type that into a ballistic calculator, then start shooting at a 12" gong at 500 yards then move out to a 24" gong at 800. You will get a few hits in once in a while, and be satisfied with your "submoa" rifle and start lobbing shots out at deer at 800 yards when you draw your first Muley/Elk tag ever. All of a sudden you realize in the last 10 years you have shot 4 boxes of ammo or 80 rounds down the "barrel burner" and realize hunting rifles really dont get shot a lot and the accuracy that will diminish from shooting 80-800 rounds in all reality isn't that big of a deal because most people shoot minute of paper plate anyways at 200 yards.

Or you will fall into a dark rabbit hole that will consume your life and checkbook if you aren't careful and start buying hundreds of pounds of powder and 10's of thousands of primers and bullets. Because you now realize you never actually knew what accuracy was and you then treat rebarreling a rifle like buying new tires.

Side note have had a couple factory carbon barrel rifles all of them shot great in magnums and prc's for what that is worth.
Change that from Hornady to Nosler trophy grade partitions and you’re probably right.

I like to keep the holes inside a quarter at 200 and I’m plenty comfortable hitting a gong with my .300 win mag at 500. It’s just that it weighs about 12 lbs. Too much for the mountains. Hell it was almost too much for stomping the badlands for my ND elk. That’s where the lightweight carbon .28 came into play. Maybe when the kids get a little older I’ll venture down the rabbit hole.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are shooting .308" bullets into under 3/4" groups at 200, you shoot better than me and most. Since you already shoot a 300 wm why not go to a 300 wsm in an ultralight?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I won’t say I shoot like that every time, but it happens. I guess I mean if I can get 2 out of 3 in a quarter I feel like I’m sighted. I hate the feeling of not being confident in a shot. I’ve looked into the short mags, haven’t ruled them out either.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never pay attention to short magnum cartridge's off the shelf availability till this year my buddy was looking for some more and we had a heck of a time finding anything 300wsm. Have sort magnums started to become that obscure? Also know another guy looking to sell his 270wsm as he doesn't really hunt anymore and when I told him I wasn't that interested partially because finding ammo has been difficult (even though I also reload) he said that was another reason he was selling it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Change that from Hornady to Nosler trophy grade partitions and you’re probably right.

I like to keep the holes inside a quarter at 200 and I’m plenty comfortable hitting a gong with my .300 win mag at 500. It’s just that it weighs about 12 lbs. Too much for the mountains. Hell it was almost too much for stomping the badlands for my ND elk. That’s where the lightweight carbon .28 came into play. Maybe when the kids get a little older I’ll venture down the rabbit hole.

Light mag rifles suck to shoot and to shoot accurately is even harder. I carried my 13 pound creedmoor around Idaho for 5 years and when i got that one shot opportunity im glad i did. 1000's of rounds builds alot of confidence when you start stretching distances over 500 yards. if i ever get another gun built it will be a 6 um shooting 115 dtacs or 108 eldm

some reading on it

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-6um.290585/

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Woodpecker holes and or suppressors really help take some of the suck out of light mag rifles.

I said some....

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Food for thought for sure. Do you think breaks help much on the lightweight mags?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My .300 has one and yeah she barks. But it’s heavy and I have nothing to compare it to.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Light mag rifles suck to shoot and to shoot accurately is even harder. I carried my 13 pound creedmoor around Idaho for 5 years and when i got that one shot opportunity im glad i did. 1000's of rounds builds alot of confidence when you start stretching distances over 500 yards. if i ever get another gun built it will be a 6 um shooting 115 dtacs or 108 eldm

some reading on it

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/the-6um.290585/
Normally don't have a interest in 6mm but dang you got my attention. That coyote that decides to hang up at 600yd and laugh wouldn't be laughing much longer.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had 2 .17_.204's built using Lilja barrels.
Just questing here but both have about 7_800 rounds shot through them. Both were sub 1/2" shooters. Both are not anymore.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 30-378 Weatherby with a muzzle break. It doesn't kick back, but I'm scared my ears would bleed if I shot without ear protection. The weird thing about shooting it is that the concussion is so bad that after 5 or so shots, you have a headache.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this what should be discussed on an angling website? Guns guns guns sheesh! We should be discussing current events which shape our pursuits and bluegills.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve got a 243 Kimber Montana that has a really good chance of becoming a 1:7 22 Creed.

Barrels are like brake pads or tires. Or, in the immortal words of Bill Withers:

“Ya just keep on usin’ me, until you use me up.”

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 155
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93