Barrel burners

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is a caliber being a “barrel burner” a huge concern to you guys? The ultra mags, swifts, weatherbys and such. Some people report as few as 1000 rounds in some calibers can ruin a barrel. Barrel life depends on a lot of things, but does a caliber known for running too hot dissuade you from selecting it? Especially a rifle solely used for hunting and not the range. I was looking at a carbon wrapped 28 Nosler. I figured even if we assume the low end of life at 1000 rounds, and the high end of putting a box of 25 through it per year, that’s still 40 years of life. Thoughts?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
It all depends on what you're using it for. For a big game hunting rifle, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You're not going to wear a barrel out in your lifetime anyway.

Now if you want to also bang steel with it, then you have to consider the costs (time and money) of slapping new barrels on it.

My most recent build is a 22 Creedmoor. Knowing it may have a short life, I bought two identical barrels at the same time, and it's a barrel nut system, so I can swap them out myself in my garage.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of where my head was at. My dad has a 220 swift from the 70s that’s been on multiple prairie dog and predator journeys and it still shoots well. It was always taken care of and probably never too hot, but by some definitions it’s probably “shot out” my intentions for the nosler would be strictly elk and occasional mule deer hunting.

Now I need to look into 22 Creedmoor.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a 6.5-284 Norma in 2012 used but it looked like it probably didn't have 200 rounds through it. Since then I'm not sure if I got 300 through it. It was supposed to be a barrel burner and I figured the odds of me wearing it out was pretty slim and that's back when I shot way more. I guess it is all relative to what you are going to do. In your case with a 28 Nosler I wouldn't worry about burning a barrel down.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barrels are like tires change them when wore out. If speed makes you horny check out the 20 primal
IMG_2937.jpeg

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barrels are like tires change them when wore out. If speed makes you horny check out the 20 primal
IMG_2937.jpeg
I remember when I thought my 257 weatherby was top dog. Damn.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what's a bigger barrel burner a PRC, magum or an AI?
In what caliber?
There are other factors, but in general, "barrel burning" is a function of powder capacity vs bore size. The more burnt propellant / flame you stuff down a small hole on each shot, the more erosion it causes. The smaller the hole, the more erosion.

That's why a 22 Creedmoor is known to be a "barrel burner", but a 6.5 Creedmoor is not, even though they share the same case.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder how a 6.5-300 Wby would be. Was at Scheels one time and saw a box on the shelf so opened it up to look at them. Holy Sheep Dung

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be a barrel melting son of a bitch. Big fire little hole
Could you imagine a prairie dog or coyote with the new 100gr Hornaday ELD-VT coming out of the barrel! Think they rate a 130gr at 3425fps at the muzzle

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here that an ammo making factory has or is closing down, more than likely driving the price of ammo up.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is a caliber being a “barrel burner” a huge concern to you guys? The ultra mags, swifts, weatherbys and such. Some people report as few as 1000 rounds in some calibers can ruin a barrel. Barrel life depends on a lot of things, but does a caliber known for running too hot dissuade you from selecting it? Especially a rifle solely used for hunting and not the range. I was looking at a carbon wrapped 28 Nosler. I figured even if we assume the low end of life at 1000 rounds, and the high end of putting a box of 25 through it per year, that’s still 40 years of life. Thoughts?
Me faster is better in any world of hunting. My first 220 swift 50 years ago wore throat out than rifling than changed it to 6mm CJ even faster. I have lots of big caliber barrel burners you will never wear them out. I have not and I have range on my land to practice on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could you imagine a prairie dog or coyote with the new 100gr Hornaday ELD-VT coming out of the barrel! Think they rate a 130gr at 3425fps at the muzzle

95 grn vmax would push the high 4's i would guess and would be and absolute grenade when hitting them haha

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Build yourself a 22-6MM AI with a 1 - 14 twist and shoot Sierra 50 gr Blitzkings at 4350 fps. I know I can push it to over 4500 fps. It shoots to good to push it any faster.

I have and shoot a 25 - 300 wby and Hornady 100 gr Interlocks are smoking.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I was an 18 yr old kid I bought a used Remington 700 BDL 22-250 from Gun city and it was the most inaccurate rifle I have ever shot. After a couple years of getting pissed off at the thing I traded it off to Scheels for a new rifle. Knowing now what I didn't know then I would have to say that barrel was smoked before I ever bought it. It didn't help accuracy any since my dad liked to push his reloads to the limit, but factory loads were only minimally better than his reloads.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite fire breathing dragon in 7mm Allen mag custom 160gr 3600fps got in 2004 light weight version. Kirby Allen from Montana has lots of big wildcats. Bought my kid his dads used 270 Allen Mag back in day kills elk very good 130 grain 3800fps. Speed kills nothing better when they drop in their tracks at 600 to 800 yards. I am reloading freak, so it helps powder burning maniac. God forbid my man cave ever catch on fire, will be World War 3. Yes I am to blame for hording reloading and ammo, sorry.
Wife says we should sell all my stuff and retire nicely.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still haven’t gotten into the reloading game. I think the amount of time it would take for me to learn everything and start tweaking isn’t something I can do just yet. Live the idea of it, just can’t commit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84