Basement vapor barrier, insulation, framing

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
rather interesting. most icfs systems are R25 but perform to R50. I'm not sure what the insulation is in the panels you linked to. What is the cost compared to icfs?

- - - Updated - - -

every house I've built had them. Easy sell to homeowners when they understand them or if you take them into a house with them. then put 1.5" styro under the floor and it's damn near too hot in the basement.

We are still working out pricing between production and fabrication, but the goal is to be competitive with the ICF.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
For ease of use tough to beat icf I set my basement up in two days with my father in law and his brother and they had never seen a form before. I have one register in the basement in my reloading room and close them all in the summer it is 68 regardless of what time of year it is. If I was to ever build again (which I won't becasue I like having a life) it will be icf all the way to the roof.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing about steel is no mold and most foundations are poured concrete. You can uses a hot knife to cut out the back or front of foam to allow for pipe or electrical. Steel stud is more spendy but will last longer, also comes in many different lengths and shapes. That is why commercial builders use steel because of the flexibility of steel. Also you can buy plastic grommets to use in the slots where romex can be used. Also the use of pex pipe is much easier to connect. Steel =no mold, half the time to install verses wood. I have constructed walls with both and would use steel in my own remodeling project.

- - - Updated - - -

For ease of use tough to beat icf I set my basement up in two days with my father in law and his brother and they had never seen a form before. I have one register in the basement in my reloading room and close them all in the summer it is 68 regardless of what time of year it is. If I was to ever build again (which I won't becasue I like having a life) it will be icf all the way to the roof.

I worked for a construction company in Grand Forks building 8 plexs using logix block forms from the footings to the roof. Even though 8 plex was basically one building but with the use of logix forms the insurance companies considered them separately. The logix block forms have plastic strips which are 8" on center which sheetrock can be fastened to.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing about steel is no mold and most foundations are poured concrete. You can uses a hot knife to cut out the back or front of foam to allow for pipe or electrical. Steel stud is more spendy but will last longer, also comes in many different lengths and shapes. That is why commercial builders use steel because of the flexibility of steel. Also you can buy plastic grommets to use in the slots where romex can be used. Also the use of pex pipe is much easier to connect. Steel =no mold, half the time to install verses wood. I have constructed walls with both and would use steel in my own remodeling project.

- - - Updated - - -

I worked for a construction company in Grand Forks building 8 plexs using logix block forms from the footings to the roof. Even though 8 plex was basically one building but with the use of logix forms the insurance companies considered them separately. The logix block forms have plastic strips which are 8" on center which sheetrock can be fastened to.
pretty much all the icfs have the 8" on center strips for fastening. Steel is used in commercial mostly because of fire resistence over wood. In most states (not ND for some reason) if you use wood in commercial, you have to use fire retardant wood. Steel in most cases goes up easier than wood. Mold isn't an issue in basements in homes built in the past fifteen to twenty years because of the requirements of proper drainage/damp proofing. Older basements prone to water damage steel is a good thing to use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56