Beaver trapping 🦫

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what the old man used for trapping beaver conibear 330 body trap
https://www.trap-anything.com/beaver-trapping-techniques.html#:~:text=
Once you locate the entrance,from swimming around the trap. The ice will be much thinner around the beaver house, use a spud bar and if the beaver dam is big say 15 to 20 feet across use a long sappling to probe under the ice. The lodges could have more then 2 openings, so when using the spud bar chip out a 8 to 10 inch hole and use the branch to probe the side of the lodge. Once you find a spot punch a whole atleast twice the size of the body trap. Back then we didn't have z ties and if you used zip ties make sure they are heavy duty, we used #1 copper wire because it didn't rust out like regular wire. Pretty much the diagram in the article will work, you will know if you caught all the beaver when the feeder holes that they use to come out of the water will be froze over. You may need to check the lodge atleast 2 times a day or more depending on how big the lodge is.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1699644367932.png

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been waiting with the 17 but lil shits must be nocturnal.
if you want to get rid of them this way, go out mid-late afternoon and put a hole in the dam closest to where you think they are staying and wait until right at dark. If you can get the water dropping 1-2 feet they will hear, feel it, sense it and come out and repair it a lot of time right at dark and sometimes in the late afternoon. A calm afternoon evening is better than a windy afternoon. If I was closer, I would help you out but too far to check traps as should. Another option is right before you this it will freeze pretty solid and try to get the dam lowered 2-4 foot a lot of times they will freeze out and not make it to spring. Just a few things I learned over time

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the 60's I thought I'd trapped one, turns out that I was the one in the trap.
Hang a pic of your avatar in OP's trees and them beaves be hitting the trail out of there.

ELLS

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you want to get rid of them this way, go out mid-late afternoon and put a hole in the dam closest to where you think they are staying and wait until right at dark. If you can get the water dropping 1-2 feet they will hear, feel it, sense it and come out and repair it a lot of time right at dark and sometimes in the late afternoon. A calm afternoon evening is better than a windy afternoon. If I was closer, I would help you out but too far to check traps as should. Another option is right before you this it will freeze pretty solid and try to get the dam lowered 2-4 foot a lot of times they will freeze out and not make it to spring. Just a few things I learned over time
This had been the easiest and most productive way for me as well. Get water flowing. Come back an hour before sunset with a 12ga, a goose load and a lawn chair. If your hole is half assed plugged in the morning. Repeat.
IMG_1102.jpeg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88