Best badlands unit for Whitetail hunting?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last years mule deer hunting experience got me hooked on hunting the west. Lots of public land to explore and awesome scenery made for an unforgettable experience. Looking forward to my next hunt out there and I'm not excited to wait another 7 years to draw a mule deer tag. I'm assuming whitetail tags are a bit easier to come by in those units? Also I'm curious which predominately mule deer units offer the best whitetail hunting on public lands?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't expect much in the way of good information to your request. Most of the guys I know that patrol the badlands during deer season already complain of stepping over one another. Whitetails are whitetails pretty much all over ND and are found in similar habitats. A good google earth looksy might yield you more and better info. Good Luck!!!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't expect much in the way of good information to your request. Most of the guys I know that patrol the badlands during deer season already complain of stepping over one another. Whitetails are whitetails pretty much all over ND and are found in similar habitats. A good google earth looksy might yield you more and better info. Good Luck!!!
Yeah for all the complaining about too many hunters I didn't have trouble finding spots to myself out there. Obviously opening weekend was busy but it's that way everywhere. It seemed like most of the whitetail I saw in 4B were on private land along the river bottoms. Just curious if that is the case with most of those units or if some offer better whitey hunting then others.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could pick up a bow, or put in for cow elk and probably get a tag within 2-3 years, just another option.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could put in for cow elk and probably get a tag within 2-3 years, just another option.
Yeah I'm not wasting a once in a lifetime tag on a cow.......at least not yet anyway. Besides I never even saw an elk out there last year!

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I'm not wasting a once in a lifetime tag on a cow.......at least not yet anyway. Besides I never even saw an elk out there last year!

why not? I put in for a cow elk and got drawn the first year I put in for it. Was one of the most memorable hunts Ive ever had. If I want to shoot a bull elk ill go out of state and won't have to wonder if ill ever get drawn.

On a side note, there's a lot more pressure than you think out west for whitetails. Just because it's easier to get a tag doesn't mean you'll be more successful. I had a whitetail tag for badlands a few years ago. Every hunter I talked to out there also had a whitetail tag

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
February issue of ND Outdoors prints the draw odds. Id start there

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
4A, B, and C probably hold the bigger whitetails out west. Like you noted, they tend to concentrate down on the river bottoms and that spells doom for them during EHD outbreaks. 4E and 4D tend to have smaller WT bucks from my humble observations, but there are more of them because those units also include a fair amount of privately owned ag lands on the fringe of the rough stuff. Good luck trying to get permission to hunt that land, it's a tough way to make a living and the public stuff adjacent to it gets the holy hell pounded out of it by both WT and muley hunters. Enough so that you will see multiple sections of good land without a single deer on it by the end of the first week. Some stragglers start coming back on towards the end of rifle season, but that second week will make you think you are hunting the Great Deer Desert.

All that being said, I have taken a few decent WT's off of public land over the years in the Badlands units. Some of it was pure luck, some of it was a willingness to go home empty handed while spending an exorbitant amount of time hunting. WT's can be a really frustrating hunt out there. One thing is for sure, if you run across a WT buck and only have 2-4 days to hunt, you best seriously consider if going home empty handed is an OK option. You can go days at a time without seeing a WT on land you can hunt.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The whitetails I have seen out there have mostly been down in the bottoms and up top in the less rough stuff. They don't seem to like the rough country too much.
I would scour google earth and look cross reference a public lands map and find green fields up top next to public land. Good place to start.

I saw a giant whitetail out there a few years ago. Crossing from private to private though so nothing to do but slow down and watch.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So last years mule deer hunting experience got me hooked on hunting the west. Lots of public land to explore and awesome scenery made for an unforgettable experience. Looking forward to my next hunt out there and I'm not excited to wait another 7 years to draw a mule deer tag. I'm assuming whitetail tags are a bit easier to come by in those units? Also I'm curious which predominately mule deer units offer the best whitetail hunting on public lands?

hows about a picture of your mule deer eh?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
We hunt 4b. I have since the late 60s. There have been years where the whitetail were everywhere. The next year they were far and few between. Mostly hard to find. We always see a few near grain fields. Not even close to the number of mulies.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
hows about a picture of your mule deer eh?

Nothing huge but it's my first: IMG_20171112_080137770.jpg

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
as Long as hunt was fun is all that matters good job

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just because it does not have a giant rack does not make it less of a trophy for some. I myself like the experience more than a rack.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
WT hunting the 4's unit I call it can be quite the challenge if you don't have access to private land. Hunted 4C for WT many years ago, ended up with tag soup.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
As was mentioned it should be pretty easy to look at a map and find whitetails. No different out there then anywhere else. Find the river bottoms, ag fields, cover and you should find some whitetails. Problem is when you find those you also find the private land...

There is a reason behind why it only takes 0-2 years to draw whitetail buck tags in those units even though they hold the most public land in the state.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34