Best badlands unit for Whitetail hunting?

dirtytough

I've seen some really nice whitetails in the grasslands. That being said most are on private or right next to it. The biggest I have seen was on public but only a quarter mile from private. If I was going to pick the best unit I would say 4A. There are a ton of whitetails in that unit. But also lots of private.

Here are a couple of the better whitetails I saw last year. The year before I saw multiple whitetail bucks better then these 2. Last year I didn't see the quality from the year before. Sorry for the pic quality.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep best spots are often right at the edge where public meets private but compared with just about anywhere else in the state that gets you on a lot of good ground you can hunt without having to ask permission. Seen big bucks in all the units but hunted for years on a large piece of private ground just on the west side of the national grasslands Northeast of Beach. we always had white tails there but the big boys tended to hang in the first couple deep draws on the public stuff so that would put just about everyone on an even playing field.... That is until we did a bunch of big drives and pushed them back on of the private stuff.;:;boozermind you by the next day they would be all spread out again chasing the does. Just keep in mind especially as you drop South in the Badlands that every few years it gets wiped out by EHD in August and that can cause some serious reshuffling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34