better insulated garage doors

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to replace my 1970s panels with decent ones. Maybe a row of windows too. Can you guys recommend brand?

Can I do this myself?

Also - has anyone gone to the "on the side" garage door opener to get rid of chain or screw drive on ceiling?

Quotes have been in the $2300 range for someone else to do it. Seems pricey (what doesn't nowadays?)

Any FM companies to stay away from?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the best doors made are midlands. That is what I'm putting in my garage. Jackshaft openers are nice because u dont have the trolley and motor in the way. But can be a pain in the ass if u don't know how they work and something goes funny with them. The price all depends on the size of your doors. I have a 18x7 and a 10x7 going in my garage and they are 1500 for just the doors without windows and no openers. U can do it your self but it can be very dangerous winding the springs of u don't know what u are doing. Shoot me a PM and I can see what I can get the doors for versus u buying them. I get a decent discount cause I buy enough door from my dealer.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twin City Garage is doing ours : http://www.midlandgaragedoor.com/thermosteel2.php

$2k on the nuts for a double and single thermo steel with a small row of windows across the top...I am pretty excited to see how warm the garage stays this winter...I know to replace our overhead opener would have been about $400 installed...but it still works so will just wait until it dies I guess

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had over head door do mine I am impressed so far. It cost the same as buying from Menards so it was like installation was free with better quality doors my carpenter friends told me.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just upgraded to the 2" thermo-steel from Midland, thanks to the hail storm. Mine were an 18x7 and 9x7 wide carriage panel with no windows(i don't want people seeing all my goodies to steal). $2,350 installed in Bismarck.

Last edited:

JCNodak

Honored Member
I have Raynor. Quiet, smooth and warm. Was on the garage when I bought it so I am not sure of the cost.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got an insulated Midland (18x9) on the garage, 3 uninsulated Midlands (2-10x10s & 1- 20x12) on my barn and an insulated Menards (16x8) on my shop. Midland is way better quality. Installation isn't terrible, as kickemup stated, but you do need to be careful winding the springs. Highly recommend 2 person installation.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think there are several good doors. Most companies make more that one model and are priced accordingly. If it sounds really cheap, it probably is. I really like the side-mount openers. Very quiet and smooth. If you come home late it won't be the garage door opening that wakes your wife. Have never had an issue with one so don't know how they are to deal with in case of a problem.

Garage doors are pretty easy to install, easier if you have two people. Simple rules are keep the first panel level and the rails square. Neither of which is rocket science. Follow directions and plan a few cold beers when completed. Power screw guns or nut drivers make the job easier. As far as labor, the last door I installed was 16X7 door, opener included as well as take the old one out prior to starting the new door in 4-5 hours with one other helper who had done one other door prior to this one. I had done about 10 doors prior to this one including my own and helping friends with theirs. Figure a fair hourly wage and you should be close.

Yes, the torsion bars can be dangerous but if you use a good bar, (rebar about 18 inches seems to work well) and take your time it's not difficult. Make sure the bar is fully in the fitting before moving. Problems come when you have low headroom, be extra careful. From there you have to be able to count so you get the same number on doors that have more than one spring. How tight should the springs be? The rule I have used is when you stop the door part way down it should remain in the position you stopped it. You should also be able to lift the door with the pressure of one finger. In other words the door stoppage and starting should be fairly neutral. The instruction book with give you the number of turns to start with. It's not just guess work.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new door are very easy to put up... if i was close, you and i could have the old ones down and the new ones up in half a day easy... it's just a big erector set (remember those???) with easy directions with lots of pics... you and gal could easily put 1 in in a long afternoon...

have not seen the old style wind up springs in many years... the last several i've put up have had the plastic covered inserts that are put up loose with 1 end inserted into the spring, then wound using a hex bit in a cordless drill... these r the newer ones...

Z

these r the old style...

2Q==

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
the new door are very easy to put up... if i was close, you and i could have the old ones down and the new ones up in half a day easy... it's just a big erector set (remember those???) with easy directions with lots of pics... you and gal could easily put 1 in in a long afternoon...

have not seen the old style wind up springs in many years... the last several i've put up have had the plastic covered inserts that are put up loose with 1 end inserted into the spring, then wound using a hex bit in a cordless drill... these r the newer ones...

Z

these r the old style...

2Q==

Anything that has pressure on plastic with ND winters is a bad combo. I'll stick to all aluminum and steel parts even if it costs me a little more money.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My doors are Midwest, but more importantly the seals around the doors have to be crisp and tight, like a prom date. Air leaks are worse than a feeble door. Also build your home facing south in northern climates, our low sun, and constant Winfrey from the west are big players in garage warmth.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
guy, I replaced the 16x8 in my garage a few years back and just follow instructions. not that hard to do. I got faith in you, you can do this.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never pulled the trigger on this.

And now the bids are coming in at $4000 installed. And you get your doors installed in Jan/Feb!!!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
midland doors seem well made i have 8 of them and have had no issues besides the mistakes i made installing them. guys that install garage doors can install them in about 4 hours.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like the row of windows at the top of ours for extra light, and no one can see in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11