Bincoculars---what to get...this don't get discussed enough

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
My binos are finally going in the garbage, two weeks to go for deer hunting.....
Need some input....don't recommend some high dollar glasses...just want clarity and sharp
what is the most preferred power to have? 10x42? or 10x50? Looking to spend up to $200

READY!!!!! GO

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nikon monarchs, Leupold or vortex in the dollar range would all be comparable. I have two sets of monarchs and the wife has a pair of Leupolds. Those are all 10x42
I have a pair of 12x50 Swarovski. So I don't use the others very much

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really like my zenray ed3's. Nice glass and not a lot of money.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leopold Mohave on sale at Cabelas. Try them at Scheels. I think they'll match price.

try anything you buy - i bought mojaves cuz I could adjust focus and hold single hand. Love the form factor.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like my Nikons. I suggest you go to a store and look thru some (not in the store, take them outside.) Look for clarity all around the lens. Find what fits best in your hands, how they feel against your eyes and then buy the best pair you can afford. If they won't send a salesman outside with you to try them, find another store. After tryings some and deciding you may find them online cheaper but remember the online store isn't going to send someone with several samples to let you try them. Good return policies are nice but how many do you want to return before you decide.

Mine are 10X42 which I like but you do have to hold them very steady. 8X42 would be easier to hold steady. Try them both. Also it might be a good idea to try them out about the time the sun is going down, not dark but not noon sun and light. Low-light visibility is the biggest difference between the different binoculars. I thought my Nikons were good until I looked thru a buddies Swarovskis.Some day I want a pair but still on somewhat of a budget for hunting. Would rather spend it on a trip instead of equipment.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.betterviewdesired.com is an old birdwatcher website with some really good comparisons. I bought Pentax binos, 8X43, because I no longer liked the more limited field of view of my two sets of 10X50 binoculars. More $$ means better quality. But, if you're like me and wear eyeglasses, the very best are wasted because the eyeglasses are a limiting factor.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my Vortex optics. IMO they are a very serious competitor in the optic business. It looks like Cabela's has a really good sale on the Talons for $280, regular price $480.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good points----also been doing some reading, guys like me that wear glasses, should get a long eye relief binos.
Your binos should be yours and not your hunting partners...how many times have you been asked for your binos, only to have them screw up your setting but adjusting them for their eyes???? I'll head up to sportsman warehouse to do some sampling this week....

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member

also : Leupold® BX-3 Mojave™ Series 8x42 Binoculars or Nikon MONARCH 3 8x42 Binoculars

I have both Nikon and Leupold in my truck at all times both brands are good for the price, I have not used Vortex but have heard good things about them...

I think of Nikon, Leupold and Vortex as your Ford, Chevy and GMC of binos ... it's not your high end Aston Martin or Lamborghini ... and it's also not a Dodge ... their just soild everyday binos

Founding Member
Founding Member
Save up a little more "like 350-400" and you can get allot more glass for that money.
Keep your eyes open on ebay, bisman, craigslist for a good pair of used glass.

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
For your price range, look through some Vortex Diamondbacks and compare whatever other brand, you'll be pleasantly surprised

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Scheels currently has there "deer hunting" flyer out. Quite a few binos currently on sale there.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own 8, 10 and 12x binos and the 8 and 10s collect dust for the most part.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nikon monarchs, Leupold or vortex in the dollar range would all be comparable. I have two sets of monarchs and the wife has a pair of Leupolds. Those are all 10x42
I have a pair of 12x50 Swarovski. So I don't use the others very much
Do you need a tripod with the 12x50's, if your doing lots of glassing?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW I bought an adapter to use my 12s on a tripod and it lasted all of 1 minute and hasn't been on since. Usually I'm glassing with my binos off my knees or free hand and have the spotter set up on tripod. It was too much of a hassle to try to use both on the same tripod.

That said guys swear by using binos off tripods. I think if I didn't have a spotter along I'd use the tripod with binos more. Each hunters situations are different and obviously if all you do is stand hunt thick brush 12s won't be necessary.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the vortex diamondbacks from Cabelas last winter, thanks for the heads up ItemB, I don't do much low light glassing but I am happy with being able to ice pirate with these just fine.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you need a tripod with the 12x50's, if your doing lots of glassing?

Some people say they need them but I personally don't.

To me the extra power is way worth it. I do a lot of western big game hunting and the 12 power negates the need to use my spotting scope many times.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33