Bincoculars---what to get...this don't get discussed enough

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do you need a tripod with the 12x50's, if your doing lots of glassing?

That will depend on how steady you are and it's different for everyone. I'm not as steady as I was when younger. Still stand by my advice to try different sets to see which you prefer for the same reason, everyone is a little different. Don't use a tripod with binoculars but do rest them on knees or some other rest unless it's just a quick look or moving them to look at a larger area. Then when I stop to look at something that caught my eye it's time to use a rest of some sort.

If price was not a consideration I would definitely own Swarovskis. But price is a consideration for most of us as well as how many times a year do we use them? Some types of hunting require more use than others. Upland game, not so much, big game in the mountains or open country you will use them a lot.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
enslow out scouting :
binoculars_25x100.jpg

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
This post almost complete...need DM, KDM, Wags, Juanr, Petras, kickemup, sub_elect and the other 3000 or so members to chime in....and oh...can't leave out shorthair.....

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the vortex diamondbacks from Cabelas last winter, thanks for the heads up ItemB, I don't do much low light glassing but I am happy with being able to ice pirate with these just fine.
Glad I could help someone out and for the price I think the vortex diamondbacks are hard to beat, especially with their warranty. I know nikon, leupold and other big names have lifetime warranty, but have heard/read there can be issues on their lower end lines with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Some people say they need them but I personally don't.

To me the extra power is way worth it. I do a lot of western big game hunting and the 12 power negates the need to use my spotting scope many times.
Thanks may try a set of 12 power I have 10x42 now and have always thought about trying 12x but was worried about having to drag around a tripod or something extra, if I am going take the tripod and set it up may as well put the spotter on there and really get zoomed. Do you think the 12x50 would be good for road hunting in the prarie, where I could just park on a hill and maybe hunt a whole section at a time no need to keep driving around in circles wasting gas?;:;rofl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minox is darn good glass for the money.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've made the switch to vortex everything. As I can afford it, I replace my scopes with vortex scopes. ABSOLUTELY love their products and I don't have to break the bank to get good optics. I have a set of 10x42 diamondbacks that take a beating in my truck and still preform awesome. Some day I'll upgrade to a set of those fancy HD glass binos. FOR now, the diamondbacks work great, and the price is pretty decent on them too. If I remember right I paid about $240 for them 2 years ago the day before antelope season opened

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you do any low light glassing (right before dawn, right after dusk, or night hunting) see if the salesperson will let you take them out and try them in low light conditions away from the city lights. Most all work well during the daytime. But there can be a huge difference in low light. That's when the quality of the lenses and different coatings make the difference. You may be surprised by the results. I used to always buy a certain brand of binos and would tell my buddies they're just as good as theirs. And when you compared them during the day the view looked the same. Then I hunted yotes at night for the first time. Needless to say, I no longer own that brand.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not used my Binos for several years, I got a nice 1200 yard leicia range finder can't remember the specs but they are perfect for all my glassing needs and is so easy to carry and use and pulls double duty, plus i am an odd duck who has a hard time using both eyes at the same time looking through binos for some reason. Have tried many different types and styles and always wind up using one eye anyhow.
Not sure if its my perfect eye sight with a wide peripheral vision I have that messes me up or what, either way i am grateful to be mid 40's with perfect eye sight so far.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did the sampling thing at sportsman warehouse. Nice looking chick at the sales counter, but another dude was also looking and sampling, he was more yappy then I was, so she tended him more than me..:( they counter is too far away from the door, but if you stood in the aisle you could glass out thru the front door. I looked thru leupold, Nikon and vortex....all three of them made my old and I mean old Bushnell 10x50 look like garbage. I was impressed by all three..being hard to chose, I went home to thinking bout it..well, my first new binos are the Vortex Diamondback 10x42...took them for the price range...I actually got a pair off internet for 199.95 with a harness included...sportsman's wanted 229.99.
Second pair will be Nikon's, those to purchase on another day....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off track but one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever held and gazed through was a svelte little Swarovski binocular. A bit heavy for it's size which added to the appeal, built like a tank and freaking stunningly beautiful glass. Amazing precision.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off track but one of the most beautiful instruments I've ever held and gazed through was a svelte little Swarovski binocular. A bit heavy for it's size which added to the appeal, built like a tank and freaking stunningly beautiful glass. Amazing precision.

Still my favorite pure binoc is a Zeiss Classic 8x30 old enough to have leaded crystal lenses.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am no optic expert even in the least sense. I'm sure that's at least equal to my post. The best way I can describe this experience is underwater bone fishing footage. It actually gave me a bit of vertigo (just like underwater bone fishing footage). Weird. I know I'm looking through water but holy hell.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33