Boundary waters canoe/camping

Nmariner

Established Member
Hey guys. Looking to go on a 3 or so day fishing, canoeing, and camping trip with the father and brother in-law. Have any of you done this before? Any information or tips would be really appreciated. Hoping to catch some walleye and an adventure while we're at it. Looking to rent canoes from an outfitter

Atom

Been a few years but yes I’ve been. My advice is you’re rushing it with only 3 days. If you can get away longer, do so. If your outfitter is worth his salt, he will be able to put you on fish no matter what entry point you use. Also, book your entry point as soon as you can. The BWCAW is one of the most visited wilderness areas in the country. Popular entry points can get booked up quickly.

Black Cloud

Been a few years but yes I’ve been. My advice is you’re rushing it with only 3 days. If you can get away longer, do so. If your outfitter is worth his salt, he will be able to put you on fish no matter what entry point you use. Also, book your entry point as soon as you can. The BWCAW is one of the most visited wilderness areas in the country. Popular entry points can get booked up quickly.

Did it a few years back and my advice would be to hit some of the smaller lakes. The perch, bass, northern, and musky fishing is incredible in those small places. There's little or even no pressure for sometimes years at a time. We casted cranks and spoons on rockpiles and we're filleting and eating smallmouth that I would mount in a heartbeat around here.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a compass, it’s easy to get turned around up there when every lake and shoreline look the same. Bring a good rope to hang your food in a tree every night to keep it away from bears and clean your fish well away from your campsite...same reason.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We went a couple years ago and used Packsack Canoes and Cabins. We spent the extra money and they brought us in by boat all the way to the no motor area. It saved us a bunch of time and we got to go way back in and only spent 3 nights. They were super helpful and very accommodating. That was my first time and would definitely go that route again. Once you get to the end of your trip you can contact them or have it set up and they come pick you up wherever you end at.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its been a few years but we used to go on a yearly boundary waters fishing trip right after memorial day. We took off at the Mudro Lake access point. The starting point was a bar called the chainsaw sisters saloon which is gone now. There are a couple of different routes that we went, but our goal was to get into Crooked Lake at Lower Basswood Falls. We were after walleyes and we always did well. Crooked Lake narrows down in several places. They told us to fish any place where there were riffles from the current. We used 1/4 and 3/8 fireballs tipped with night crawlers and you never knew what was going to grab it. We caught lots of eater walleyes along with big northern and smallies. I don't think I had ever caught smallies like that before. They sure were fun to catch.

Bad thing is it's about a day in and a day out to Crooked Lake, but the fishing was worth it.

We didn't do the full outfitter thing. All we did was rent canoes and part of the deal was that they brought us and the canoes back and forth from the access point. When I do it again, I might do the same thing, but I would rent a good lightweight Kevlar canoe. We always saved a few bucks and used the old Grumman Ultra Lights. There's nothing light about them. They sucked to carry through the mud and over the rocks and hills.

The outfitter that we used was Canoe Country Outfitters in Ely.

Last edited:

darkhouse king

Check out BWCA.com. It is a great resource for the b-dub. I prefer to go after Labor Day. Less people, better fishing.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Appreciate the advice. Any outfitter or launch point you guys recommend?

Bummer, I used La Croix Outfitters a few times. In Buyck, (pronounced BIKE) MN. But they're no longer. Great guys.

In any cases, there are tons of lakes. All with good fishing. Some solid advice, spend as many days as you possibly can. Figuring that as far as you can go in, you have to come that far back out - a 3 day trip is too short. Unless you're going to get picked up at a different trailhead than you were dropped off at.

Things to bring: Rope for bear bags. this is a must. Unless you're on an island, the bear bags can not be far enough away from your camp. Listening to a bear breathing on the other side of your nylon tent wall, is enough to curl your toes. And yes, the bears visit even the small islands.

Bug Spray. When you think you have enough, double it. The more DEET, the better. Them're some hungry bastages up there.

Map. Most of the outfitters have them for sale. Buy one. Bring a big Ziploc bag to put it in, so you can have it on your pack or your lap, and can see it at a glance, even in the rain. The Rainy River is aptly named. You might think you can just directions from the sun, but not on a cloudy day, so bring a decent compass. Also, the maps will show established campsites. Or your outfitter can point some out for you.

Also, don't worry about the fish. I love fish and fishing - don't get me wrong, but it's beautiful up there, and if you're with good people, you'll enjoy yourself even if you don't catch trophies.

Regarding the Kevlar vs Aluminum canoe, I would go with the aluminum. You WILL hit rocks, and I didn't feel like buying someone else's canoe. Kevlar is lighter, yes, but you can paddle away from scratches and dents.

I've only ever used an outfitter, and pretty much everybody I've talked to agrees. It's worth it to have someone put your meals together, along with the Duluth packs for the tents and sleeping bags, etc.

Enjoy yourselves!!

Jaykay

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not the BWCA, but I have been going into provincial parks in Ontario canoeing for over 20+years. Woodland Caribou, Quetico, Wabakimi, etc...

Pretty much the same scenery, but there are WAY less people and fishing is better. Biggest difference in BWCA and Canadian parks are the number of people and the bears. So tips on bear proofing your stuff at night and when you are gone are good. The bears will smell the slightest bit of food you have in your tent so don't even keep a granola bar in there with you.

We have all our own gear, canoes, packs, S bags, pads, cookware, paddles, etc... We haven't used any outfitters so can't comment on that. Aluminum vs Kevlar? I would say if you are inexperienced go aluminum, they can take more punishment and are more stable. If you have good experience in a canoe, than kevlar all day. Faster and lighter, which in a 3 day trip can make a big difference depending on how far you want to get in and out in 3 days.

Depending on the time of year, bugs might not be that bad. But bring plenty of spray just in case. Bring flyswatters, as the sand flys can get annoying while paddling.

Normally I would suggest only packing your essentials. Keeping things small and light. I.E.- on a 3 day trip, I wouldn't bring any extra clothes, just a change of underwear. You don't need 5 pairs of shoes either, just a decent pair that you don't mind getting wet and muddy. Remember its not just paddling, depending on your route there will be portages as well, carrying your stuff from lake to lake. Smaller and lighter is better when you have to carry it a long ways.
But on a 3 day trip, weight and space aren't valued as much since you won't have much food to contend with.

Any more questions on gear and necessary items, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.
Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33