Bow Talk

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bowtec General 55# at 28"
Easton Axis 400

Side note: Wouldn't velocity have the greatest effect on Kinetic Energy as velocity is squared and mass is not?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Momentum is where it is at folks.

Speed and KE are great and all but if the momentum isn't there, all the speed and energy you think you have in the arrow is zapped the minute it hits an animal even if you don't hit bone.

Personal experience speaking here.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a mathews switch back for 150 bucks and some fmj with it. I need to buy a release and get to practicing so next year i can hunt

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get too hung up on speed.. I did and it cost me due to lack of arrow penetration.. I am now more concerned with the weight of the arrow than the fps. Any bow of today will be more than enough speed to kill. Arrows are FMJ right at 485g with a 125g coc broadhead (slicktrick mags) out of a 74lb 28" PSE xforce at 270 fps.

- - - Updated - - -

Momentum is where it is at folks.

Speed and KE are great and all but if the momentum isn't there, all the speed and energy you think you have in the arrow is zapped the minute it hits an animal even if you don't hit bone.

Personal experience speaking here.

This guy is spot on!..

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard that 280 - 290 fps is the best speed for fixed blade performance. I think I heard it on John Dudley's podcast. Also, his YouTube change "nockonarchery" is amazing for learning correct form and everything archery related.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I have found, is that if the spine of the arrow isn't correct for the bow set up you are shooting, you are going to have a heck of time getting fixed blade heads to fly right with the field points. I also think this is why some people choose to go to mechanicals instead of fixed blades. Not that there is anything wrong with mechanicals - I just don't care for them.

My own experience is that if you get the spine of the arrow right - fixed blades will fly right on with field points. This also goes along with the archer doing his job in maintaining form. In my trial and error testing over the last 5 or 6 years, I've successfully gotten QAD Exodus, Slick Trick standard and Magnum, Thunderheads all to fly spot on with my field points. I have a new broadhead I'm trying this year - Magnus Black Hornets - I haven't shot them yet but that is next to do.

With my bows, I am able to get fixed blades within an inch of a field point at 60 yards shooting around 310fps. This was with my previous arrow set up and with my new ones I'm still doing minor tweaks on pins (I think I'm done with that now) but my fixed blades were hitting on with my field points at 50 and 60 yards.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get too hung up on speed.. I did and it cost me due to lack of arrow penetration.. I am now more concerned with the weight of the arrow than the fps. Any bow of today will be more than enough speed to kill. Arrows are FMJ right at 485g with a 125g coc broadhead (slicktrick mags) out of a 74lb 28" PSE xforce at 270 fps.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is spot on!..

Don't forget that your bow also becomes more efficient with a heavier arrow.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the Momentum arrows by Grizzly Stik. Ultra forward of center design. Total arrow weight with broadhead is just under 650. I was very very skeptical at first, but the downrange energy speaks for itself. And the extreme forward of center weight does wonders for stability.

I looked at the griz stik arrows this last go around and was tempted.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat. Spent like $275 2 years ago bring a 20+ year old bow back to life. Lol. Cant even remember what it is. Think its a PSE. It has carbon arrows, mechanical broadhead, small veins, a release and a biscuit rest. Draw weight 60 or 65. Length is too long cause i got it fitted before releases were common. Ive probably killed 6 deer with it. Lost 2 others and quit hunting each time for the season after losing them. Getting length adjusted before this season. Hope to get within 30 yards of anything this year. If so, i pull the release trigger and hope it hits where i aim.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost bought a Heli-m. I'll give this bow a year and see how I like it.

Anyone running in that 350+ fps?

I am. I run a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo in 29" draw at 74lbs. I shoot Gold Tip 7095 with 100 grain tips (but prefer Carbon Express arrows). Ibo on the bow is 350 but my chrono shows it between 325 and 330 with my setup.

I was jumpy as hell for the first few months but after getting it hyper tuned it shoots really nice and is very forgiving (surprisingly)! I couldn't get it to tune via paper or walk back, with the rest, so I did a bunch of snooping the internet and found yoke tuning. It worked wonders and now shoots bare shafts with fixed heads to the same point of impact as my fletched arrows out to 80 yards.

I vowed to never yoke tune another bow, because it was a huge pain in the ass, unless I have a bow press!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speed is overrated. I'd much rather have a 500+ grain arrow going 280fps. than a 400 grain arrow going 320fps. Heavier arrow = more penetration and a much quieter bow.

I'm shooting an elite synergy with 31" DL @ 72lbs. Black Eagle Rampage arrows 250 spine at 29" with a 56 grain stainless half out, and a 100 grain head. Total arrow weight is right at 500 grains, and I'm shooting 278-280fps.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost bought a Heli-m. I'll give this bow a year and see how I like it.

Anyone running in that 350+ fps?

My Xpedition is IBO rated at 358 fps but I don't get anywhere near that with Easton 5mm FMJ arrows with 50 grain brass inserts, 125 grain broadheads, and a 28.5" draw length. It is really fast though.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys all use for a release and sight?

I personally switched to an adjustable single pin and a hand held release and will never go back to multiple pins and a wrist strap. I love the sight picture of a single pin. So much less clutter. I gained a lot of accuracy with the switch. I definitely shoot better with a hand held as I started shooting personal bests at 3-d events.

My sight on both bows is an HHA single pin and I use a Carter or Scott hand held with thumb release. I have tried the back tension for 3-d, but find I don't shoot as well.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
What do you guys all use for a release and sight?

I personally switched to an adjustable single pin and a hand held release and will never go back to multiple pins and a wrist strap. I love the sight picture of a single pin. So much less clutter. I gained a lot of accuracy with the switch. I definitely shoot better with a hand held as I started shooting personal bests at 3-d events.

My sight on both bows is an HHA single pin and I use a Carter or Scott hand held with thumb release. I have tried the back tension for 3-d, but find I don't shoot as well.

That clutter in the multi-pin sights does not bother me at all. Then again, I am the guy that does not even notice if my windshield is solid bug splats.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34