Broken G-Loomis

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
some folks are damned good jig fisherman with the cheapo combos, i think sometimes you have the jig touch or you dont. I do not:(

My brother fits this stereotype. He jigs with a Zebco 404. I very rarely out fish him when jigging. He likes the short rod, and that its stiff he can set the hook. His gear would/will make you laugh. Last fall the bite was on up the Grand River under the HWY 12 bridge. There were a ton of boats up there, side by side. Seemed to me he out fished everyone, as you could see whenever someone caught a fish.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish allot, have friends that fish allot. Some even work in fishing Dept's and have the best of everything. Talking nrx, glx and such. I have yet to get my ass handed to me because of my rods that usually cost 1/3 - 1/2 of what they'r rod costed. Most of the time it comes down to tackle or bait. Each to their own I guess, it's allot like guns, bows and such. I'll take the guy that knows his weapon everyday over the guy that buys the most expensive setup at the store. I don't own a rod any more that cost over $150 they seem to do just fine in the tourneys I enter and just out enjoying the day. Like I said each to his own. I'm not going to get on someone for what they paid for thier rod or boat that's for sure.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I firmly believe that a better rod (often times more expensive) rods catches more fish. I do not, however believe that the ratios are direct comparisons. I do not believe that you will catch 10 times more fish, with a $500 rod than a $50 rod. But I do believe with all my heart, that a better rod catches more fish.

I have had every cheap rod in the book, and have moved up and up and up over the years. I got my first Loomis at 45 years old, and it is really something. I have had walleyes on, and they do that stiffen-up trembly thing, and I feel it 100%. I have never felt that before on a cheap rod.

I assume the situation is similar for boats. You can fish out of a pontoon, Sea-Ray, Bayliner, Canoe, inflatable air mattress, Yar, Ranger, Warrior, etc. They all float, you can fish off of all of them. But a dedicated fishing boat works better, is laid out better, is more feature friendly, than a Mastercraft wakeboard boat.

OH, and I have seen people behave like absolute dicks on about every brand of boat too.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
OH, and I have seen people behave like absolute dicks on about every brand of boat too.

I have owned 3 boats in my life of boat ownership. I have been an absolute saint in all of them. I have never been rude to a stranger, or a person who asks how the fishing is going, or a guy at the cleaning station, but have come across tons of guys that have been an absolute dick, and you are right they are not brand specific.

I don't like getting hassled on the water, or having boats pull up and ask questions, but I am still not a dick about it. I don't have it in me, however on the roadway I can absolutely loss it and rage at the effing morons that have infiltrated my beautiful little town with their horseshit driving.

I agree on the higher end rods too, if you want to spend the money on a pole that has much better balance, and feel to it, go ahead, I have a couple better ones and they are much more sensitive, but I will still get out fished regardless of which pole I use.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing with Ugly Sticks and/or out of a ski/pleasure boat both make me sad.

If forced to do both in the same outing I would probably hit the Stella a little harder than is typical.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Again when fish are biting any rod will do most of the time, but when fish are being less aggressive there is no doubt a quality rod will catch more fish over some one using a K mart special.

This has to do with quality of a product that has a warranty behind it if the warranty is crap then the product is crap. Craftsman tools at one time where made in the USA which showed in the quality of the product. Yes they still have a no question asked policy on there products but sometimes it can be a hassle to make a special trip to bring one socket or ratchet back to the store for replacement. I have a set that I inherited from my grandfather which is over 40 years old, the sockets don't have markings no more but are still functional none the less. The ratchets are still rebuild able which Craftsman still sells again the kits are not as good as before when they were first built. I get frustrated though when a company discontinued replacement parts for high quality reels which only shows that some companies don't want you to be a repeat customers. Fishing rods have all gone down hill with mass production of blanks and quality of craftsmanship of rod assembly which only shows that companies expect you to send them for 120$ a pop because that is what it would cost to replace with a new one. That is why I will learn to make my own rods so I can learn a craft which I can build fishing rods to give to my family.

I bought my first newer vehicle 2009 BMW 335i, the car was a great deal with low miles because the car was bought from a gentleman who needed to buy a family vehicle. The car had 31000 miles on it when I bought it which for a 2009 would be considered rare find. BMW as a reputation of building quality vehicles and since I am mechanically incline I can do my own maintenance work.
DSC_3029 copy.jpg

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys crack me up. Fish with whatever you can afford and whatever thinks gives you the best chance of landing a fish. Cost doesn't really matter, and 95% of the time has nothing to do with catching a fish. I guarantee if everyone that fishes with a "lower" end combo had the opportunity to fish (by fish I mean spend a few outings with it- casting,jigging, etc. not just taking a couple casts off the rocks) with a "higher" end combo ie the NRX, GLX, st croix legend, etc. there would be no way in hell that they could say that their original combo felt better or they could feel more with their cheap one. That has nothing to do with the actual catching of the fish, you may catch just as many or more fish than the higher end, but there is no comparison with how bites, rocks, weeds, trees, bait, feel. Anybody that says they are the same is either slow, stubborn, or in denial.

The person I fish with the most is the cheapest, most stubborn person I know. It took him about 5-6 years to finally admit it, but he got his first NRX last summer and is shopping for another one. If you have to opportunity to use one of the above mentioned sticks, I would strongly encourage you to give it a try. Just don't leave the lure dangling over the side of the boat unattended, let the windshield slam shut on it, or let the rod locker close on it. Those are just the most recent times I've used more profanity in front of my children than recommended in parenting books.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can kill a lot of birds with a wal-mart stoeger pump shotgun. I would just much rather do it with a better piece of equipment.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing with Ugly Sticks and/or out of a ski/pleasure boat both make me sad.

If forced to do both in the same outing I would probably hit the Stella a little harder than is typical.

If'n yous got the balls to fish with an ugly stick, you probably don't fiddle with girl beer

Brian Halse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lunk,
Reading your posts always makes me feel like one of us is on crack. I'll go get tested. :;:huh

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be fun to have an NDA walleye fishing get together sometime on the big lake just for shits and giggles.
Wouldn't even have to be for money. But when you sign up you'd have to list the rods that will be in your boat that day.
From what I read on here there would be allot of butt whoopin from the $400+ rod owners club. ;:;bowdown

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think the argument is whether an expensive rod will catch more fish than a cheap combo. To deny the fact that they are more sensitive versus a walmart rod is ridiculous. In the end, you can get just as many speeding tickets in a base model chevy cobalt, but I bet they're more fun to get in a corvette.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished with 30-70 dollar sticks for most of my life and did fine. For the folks that are happy with low end sticks I will offer a word of advice. Do not buy or use a high end stick. If you are happy with Uncle Ben's do not order the risotto. If you like driving your 79 dodge down the highway, don't test drive a new one. If you enjoy round steak, do not order the dry aged filet mignon. If you are happy with missionary, don't go googling the other stuff...

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed
Huge difference between a $40 stick and a $150 stick no doubt. But between a good $150 stick and a $400 stick not near as much, especially if you have one built.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:exactly
At one time Cabelas rods were built with G Loomis blanks but not anymore

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed
Huge difference between a $40 stick and a $150 stick no doubt. But between a good $150 stick and a $400 stick not near as much, especially if you have one built.

I am looking to upgrade. What would you recommend for a good rod In the $100-$150 range? will be used mostly for jigging.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing rods are just like everything else, if you buy cheap you will spend more in the long run with the replacements.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17