Broken G-Loomis

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you paid over 4bills for a glx and breaks snapping your rod a little ---- I got news for Shimano ---what they can do with their rods ---- many others have caught up to gary's old product ----as far as that goes gary himself most likely has a rod for a fraction of the cost that will out perform for a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loomis isn't the big dog they once were. Scheels top of the line rods are just as good and if you break it they hand you a new one

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For future reference, don't snap your rod like you are setting the hook to get out a snag. Hold your reel from spinning and pull straight back in line with the rod. Snapping your rod up and down to get out a jig is a sure fire way to break your rod.

My buddy was on the same snag, log I think. When we both pulled on it, it moved. I had my rod pointed at it, but in the wind and current, the boat turned. I think we were pulling it up so I turned with the boat now the rod was bent, and my partner broke his line putting all the weight on my rod just as I was trying to pull. I wasn't snapping it.

I used my cabelas points to pay for most of it. I had only $125 of my own money in it. Had.... anyway, now $250. It was $385. The only other Gloomis I have I bought on eBay. They were used, but in good shape, got them for $117, $120, $135.

Don't think I'll buy another new one now.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good. I have seen people just whipping their rod trying to dislodge a snag. I have several St. Croix rods and have not broken one yet. Lost one in the river but never broke one.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fix broken rods. Fixed rods work well, but they aren't quite the same. If I had the option of fixing vs. Replace, I'd go with replace.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two discontinued walleye 8400 series rods that I'd like to get replaced. These rods are about 10+ years old what is my options?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are two ways to get a replacement from Loomis. One way is, if you have a break that is legitimate, send it to Loomis and IF they see its a manufactured defect they replace with a like model or an upgrade if your model is no longer available for shipping costs. If you break it by stepping on it or closing a door on it ect. then it costs you around $120 to get it replaced no questions asked.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do they give you in return if the rod has been discontinued? Both these rods are 10 years old

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
They replace with similar model if they have not been discontinued or if they have been discontinued with a like model in current line up. Call them to verify the information I am giving you guys. They are very good about their warranty. I run Loomis and Croix for this reason!

- - - Updated - - -

This is the website:
http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/fly-fish/support.html

This is their number:
877-577-0600

- - - Updated - - -

Call them to verify information above.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is copied from their web site. Clearly explains how the rod warranty works.

G. Loomis Xpeditor Service

(Limited to US and Canada)

A broken rod will never keep you off the water again. With the G. Loomis Xpeditor Service you can get a brand new rod to replace a broken one, delivered to your doorstep (anywhere in the US) in as little as two days. Our Xpeditor Service will get you back on the water fishing in days, not weeks!
Why should you use the Xpeditor Service:
HASSLE FREE, just send in your rod and get a new one – no questions asked!
• Always get a brand NEW rod, never repaired
FAST - Rod ships within 1 business day, if in stock
NO WAITING – Your rod ships immediately, no waiting for your broken rod to reach the factory, no waiting on the processing and then shipping it back which can take up to two or three weeks
CONVENIENT– use the tube provided, you do not have to run around town looking for packaging to send your rod in (cost to purchase a tube can run $15)
NO SHIPPING COSTS to the consumer, reuse the tube the new rod came in, slap the provided label on the tube and hand it back to the driver

Here is how the service works:

• Contact Customer Service at 877/577-0600 and request the Xpeditor Service
• Tell them the model number and rod series from the logo on the rod
• If we no longer offer the model that you broke, we will replace it with the closest comparable model from our current product line
• Pending stock availability, we will ship your rod via standard ground delivery the next business day
• When you receive your new rod, simply remove it from the shipping tube, place the broken rod into that same tube, ensure both ends are sealed and affix the enclosed, pre-paid shipping label on the outside of the tube (Please Note: Return shipping label service is not available in Canada)
• Once you hand off the package to your delivery agent, you’re done and back on the water

COST: (US Only)
Ground Shipments
$75 Fee USD - Regular graphite, GL2, GL3, E6X, IM6
$100 Fee USD – GL4, PRO4x, IMX, GLX, NRX, all blends not identified by
Material type
2nd Day Air, Alaska or Hawaii shipments
$100 Fee USD - Regular graphite, GL2, GL3, E6X, IM6
$125 Fee USD – GL4, PRO4x, IMX, GLX, NRX, all blends not identified by
Material type

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought you ran loomis because you break your scheels rods and launch them into the lake

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its no secret to anyone that knows me, I HATE SCHEELS RODS! I got burned one time on their no questions asked warranty. Its more fun when you break one, to prop it up against the livewell and stomp it into 5 or even 6 pieces and throw it into the lake then to try and take it back. However, based on the money I have dropped it that store in the last 3 months I feel like they should help me with any problem that comes up with out trying to bend me over the fishing counter and have their way with my soft innards!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you may be the type who likes his guts massaged, thus why you keep spending paychecks there

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was guiding one time and a young kid broke my loomis pulling on a snag. That was maybe...6 yrs ago?? I contacted company and sent rod and $50. They replaced it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
---http://www.gloomis.com/content/dam/gloomis/Docs/Web%20Warranty%20Form.pdf

I am assuming you marked snag ---- its interesting but I believe the warranty has changed (more so than scheels). IMO GLoomis is just another rod; now with a $120 co pay on the warranty evidently and owned by shimano. I am glad this came up --- like I said on mine -- they upgraded me and I marked mine as hook set. I would probably have some reservations buying one in the future if the warranty is being cheapoed.

IMO you dont really know what you are talking about. You are a baby boomer arent you?

Kenneth

Established Member
If you paid over 4bills for a glx and breaks snapping your rod a little ---- I got news for Shimano ---what they can do with their rods ---- many others have caught up to gary's old product ----as far as that goes gary himself most likely has a rod for a fraction of the cost that will out perform for a 1/3 or 1/4 of the cost.

I agree 100%

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
same thing I paid when a mouse chewed the handle off my GLX

Don't guinea hens eat mice? You should not have this problem. Maybe your guinea hens are pansies? I bet when you had that Rowdy Roddy Piper of a goose, no mice ate your handles.

That story really makes me laugh. How many whacks did it take to shut that goose up? Took you AND the dog how long to put the lights out on it?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
$400 for a rod just floors me. Unless your at the bunny ranch down in Vegas there's nothing $400 will get you with your rod that you couldn't get for like was said 1/4 or less money. Hell fished next to my buddy a few years ago and his new spendy rig and I was using my disposable pickup box rod which is an el cheapo avocet II and outfished the hell out of him. It wasn't that I was better it was I could feel the bites he couldn't. After I had my limit and released several more we switched and now he was out fishing me. I have a number of those rods now that we're all of a $40 no frills combo because they simply catch fish. May not be flashy but if I'm spending that much money on fishing gear it better come with a name like vexilar or humminbird!

This reminds me of Ron white. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AGzTtBl9qh8

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay it was the rooster that mauled my little girl that died by tree inflicted blunt trauma and dog bites.. The goose was shot by my buddy's dad for drawing blood from my wife when she was collecting eggs... I was in Alaska making the doughnuts..

The Guineas had all the mice tree'd in my yarcraft. It came down to mouse taste preference, they chose GLX over Yarcraft... Dam mice probably drove little toy Rangers and parked across little toy parking lot yellow lines...

Dam ranger driving mice, nothing worse....

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19