Broken G-Loomis

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed
Huge difference between a $40 stick and a $150 stick no doubt. But between a good $150 stick and a $400 stick not near as much, especially if you have one built.

I have a $120-$150 St Croix Avid series I believe that I used to use quite a bit, but handed down to my boy. The difference between that stick and a his old $20 zebco kids compo is almost as much as the difference between that Avid and an NRX as far as the way it feels. Almost being the key word; I think the high end rod is farther ahead of the $150 rod than that rod is ahead of the zebco.

Like said before, it's not saying you'll catch more fish with the upgrade, that ain't the argument. Argument is in the quality/feel of the rod. Lots of good analogies up there having to do with cars, guns and sex positions that I got a kick out of and pretty much sum it up.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its like comparing a $20 whore to a $2,000 whore....haha

they will both give you a happy ending, but ... I would rather purchase a 30 pack of ice cold Busch light with my $20

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all this custom talk do any of you make your own? Always seemed interesting and a good way to get exactly what you want once you get dialed in.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used plenty of Loomis and they are nice like really nice. Wife bought me a scheels one last year supposed to have been a jigging rod but ended up being a bait caster either way nicest rod i own and i love fishing with it here is my problem. While in the toon i take lots of kids fishing kids dont pay attention and kids knock rods over so even with my 200 dollar rod i lock it in place when i get up from drivers seat and no one else is allowed to use it. If i had a bunch of loomis i would be a nervous wreck in my situation. Say in a few years kids get older i will have a few loomis as they do feel nice in a guys hands. I agree with spending money up front will save a person in the long run

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be fun to have an NDA walleye fishing get together sometime on the big lake just for shits and giggles.
Wouldn't even have to be for money. But when you sign up you'd have to list the rods that will be in your boat that day.
From what I read on here there would be allot of butt whoopin from the $400+ rod owners club. ;:;bowdown

same hole same boat??????

- - - Updated - - -

not in a gay navy way either

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What got me started with a top end stick was I broke a St. Croix Eyecon on a catfish. I sent it to Croix and they called me and asked if I wanted to upgrade. They said they would give me full retail price of the Eyecon to trade so I said what the heck and got a Legend Xtreme. The dang thing hooked me so I own five now. I only paid about half price for three of them though. I have a GLX Loomis that collects dust now. I should sell it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to upgrade. What would you recommend for a good rod In the $100-$150 range? will be used mostly for jigging.

I'd go to scheels when the spring sale comes and get yourself a nice guide or walleye series rod. Maybe even an upper model of theirs if the price is right and you like the feel of it. Something in that 6'2"-6'8" or so. Fenwick elite tech is also a nice rod in that price range. Hard to beat the Scheels warranty thou.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think the argument is whether an expensive rod will catch more fish than a cheap combo. To deny the fact that they are more sensitive versus a walmart rod is ridiculous. In the end, you can get just as many speeding tickets in a base model chevy cobalt, but I bet they're more fun to get in a corvette.

Well put!

Founding Member
Founding Member
same hole same boat??????

- - - Updated - - -

not in a gay navy way either

Leave from Dakota Waters,different boats. Come back in 8 hours. Weight of your 5 best fish wins. No cranking.
As many guys as you want in a boat for that matter. I'll even take just 2 or 3 kids. #$%^&>Come back have a BBQ and cold beverages, sounds like a good time. :;:cheers

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its like comparing a $20 whore to a $2,000 whore....haha

they will both give you a happy ending, but ... I would rather purchase a 30 pack of ice cold Busch light with my $20

But wait... gonorrhea - so you have to factor in penicillin and divorce. $2,000 whore is a bargain

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are all doing it wrong, I use a chunk of rebar about 8 ft long to fish with. That way if Im getting outfished by the guy next to me I can give him a whack and problem solved.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering why those guys had black eyes last week.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to upgrade. What would you recommend for a good rod In the $100-$150 range? will be used mostly for jigging.

My suggestion would be the Fenwick HMX. I bought a couple from Wade at Dakota Tackle and they were great rods for the price.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you like the hmx try the elite tech. There is a differance.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go to scheels when the spring sale comes and get yourself a nice guide or walleye series rod. Maybe even an upper model of theirs if the price is right and you like the feel of it. Something in that 6'2"-6'8" or so. Fenwick elite tech is also a nice rod in that price range. Hard to beat the Scheels warranty thou.

Scheels puts their name on some fine rods.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good thread. Lots of useful info. I have always wondered if a spendy G-loomis or a St Croix were really that much better than my Limited Guides or Elite Techs. Im getting the impression they may be. I held (not fished with) both the G Loomis and a St Croix. When holding the St Croix I had a wierd tingly feeling run up my leg. I think I will take Ahabs advice and stay away from them. I can't afford something that nice. If it broke I would cry and my son might see me and think his dad is a puss.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 14