Buffalo/Bison meat wanted

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know of a place that sells buffalo meats? Would like to get some steaks and roasts if possible around the Bis/Man area. Don't want to travel to darn far to get some. Maybe some one that raises them butchers a few and sells it by the piece.
Appreciate any info you might have.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_2107.jpg

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The co-op in Bismarck usually has some in a freezer in the far corner. If your looking for fresh I would go look up the ranch info and call them directly.

- - - Updated - - -

They may still have some at the protest camps as well.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
hopefully West Side Meats is up and running again soon down in Mobridge, that place was great and it looks to be a much larger place when construction is finished, buffalo all you want there

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
hopefully West Side Meats is up and running again soon down in Mobridge, that place was great and it looks to be a much larger place when construction is finished, buffalo all you want there
Found this out yesterday as stopped at John's Meat Market or something like that and the lady was telling me about it. John's doesn't have buffalo anymore since Mobridge burned down she said.

Goose

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butcher Block Meats in Mandan.... I order it there all the time..

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't think it's legal for someone to sell off the ranch by individual pieces. You would probably have to buy a half. That could be changing soon with some proposed legislation.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Howard Bubel in Center ND raise and sell Bison, Kelly Hintz of Hazen may as well. May have to buy it by the half or quarter when they are ready, would call and check with them. I know people buy quarters and halves from Bubels for sure, I think Hintz just raises and sells like cattle don't think he gets into the meat end but maybe worth a phone call.

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just picked up a Buffalo roast at Butcher Block Meats and it was $15.00 per pound. Going to have to find some where cheaper i hope!
I think the buffalo burger was $9.50 per pound.
Can't remember what the steaks were but they didn't look like what we wanted.
My cousin used to raise them and sell and butcher some. Doesn't do that anymore so will have to keep looking.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just picked up a Buffalo roast at Butcher Block Meats and it was $15.00 per pound. Going to have to find some where cheaper i hope!
I think the buffalo burger was $9.50 per pound.
Can't remember what the steaks were but they didn't look like what we wanted.
My cousin used to raise them and sell and butcher some. Doesn't do that anymore so will have to keep looking.
thanks Jack.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do they justify those prices? I would eat it more if it was cheaper. Does the rancher get a good price to, or just the store/butcher because its buffalo? :;:huh ;:;boozer

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing they grow slower than cattle. I know for breeding if i remember right the heifer has to be 2 or 3 years old to breed.
So if they do grow slower you have to feed them longer which as in anything time is money.
Buffalo used to be darn cheap and we used to eat a lot of it when my cousin raised them.
In case you don't know when cooking cook it slower than beef. We really like it but at these prices YIKES.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12