busted skag

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well Saturday was a beautiful day to be on the lake, the morning was calm, mrs johnr and I put in 4 hours of fishing, then went back to camp, made breakfast, rounded up the kids, and the rest of the adults and headed to the beach.
The wind was a good 15mph, making some nice tubing waves, the beach was hot, and the horse shoe games where getting intense. As the day was winding down, me and a buddy decided to load our boats up with the kids, and head to a calmer side and do a little swimming from the boat with the kids(cool down and clean up).

I followed him over, he goes between the rock pile and shore line entering into ski bay, I follow, he makes it, I bust the skag off of my optimax on a just under the surface bolder, somehow didn't bend the prop, or take out the lower unit.

Have any of you guys had this happen? I have done this now on 3 motors, somehow didn't bust the lower unit off entirely, just the lower 5-6 inches of the skag. I contacted a welding shop and am going to try to have him replace this, any one done this with theirs?
It still drives just fine, turns just fine, but bothers me anyway, so a fix is needed.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might have more problems with outboards than I do. Sorry to hear it man. No experience but a welder should be able to take care of it in short order.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously when shallow get the skag above the bottom of the transom. As long as the motor is peeing your good to go.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously when shallow get the skag above the bottom of the transom. As long as the motor is peeing your good to go.

Agreed, however I was traveling a few hundred feet behind him at about 20 mph. I have been through the area a few times, never would have thought the rocks were that far from the shore line. I cant believe I didn't bust out the entire lower unit.

No matter what I am doing, I am spending money in repairs.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya man. The expenses never stop.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
put a skeg guard on. they are about a 100 bucks. when I bought my boat about 2/3 of the skeg was gone. I put the skeg guard on and was good to go. This spring I hit a tree on DL and it broke off (like it is designed to do) but saved my SS prop. Put another back one back on. They

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigaman is the man. His fault if it blows, but I think he's right. I should get one.

- - - Updated - - -

ps I just landed in New Jersey. Pray for me.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best thing about jersey is how polite they all are, its like going to a pot luck in the church basement.
Enjoy, ....Midwest lives matter....

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Had one hit n crack the skag. Old boat back in college days. JB weld held it for next 7 years. Sold it as is. JB weld never seizes to amaze me.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the skag guard doesn't do it, I have seen experienced guys fix a skag that was sheered right to the case.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another question, what is the purpose of the skag other than prop protection. I have run 3 different motors with part too most of the skag gone, and notice no difference in any part of the boats drivability?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another question, what is the purpose of the skag other than prop protection. I have run 3 different motors with part too most of the skag gone, and notice no difference in any part of the boats drivability?

Some of the purpose is just so a guy can say "Skag". It's a cool Norse-sounding word.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 334
  • This month: 231
  • This month: 193
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 73