Buy a Silencer

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a 3.0. They came out with the 4.0 about a week after I bought this one. Still a little bitter about it. Planning on heading to the range this weekend at some point. I had my 270 wsm threaded as well. Now, to find the caps for the exposed threads.

I know the feeling, same thing happened to me. I got mine early July and have about a hundred rounds through it. The full titanium version heats up faster than my 2.0 but it also cools faster. They recommend cleaning it every 50-100 rounds, which seems like a lot considering I have over a thousand rounds through my 2.0 and have yet to clean it.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, ordered my 3.0 and a couple weeks later the 4.0 came out. Has anyone experienced accuracy issues? I just cannot get consistent with the thing. I started out about 4.5" low and 2.5" to the left, after moving it up and over, it's better, but I can't get it to group well. Any ideas to try?

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Dakota Silencer now has a CNC machine that they thread barrels. Uses a local guy for my 17HMR and then Dakota Silencer for my .308. bother were done well, but it was only a 2 week turn for Dakota Silencer vs 5 or so weeks with the local guy. I know

Dakota was indicating they were shipping directly back to you.

curious what the .17 HMR sounds like with the supressor?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here, ordered my 3.0 and a couple weeks later the 4.0 came out. Has anyone experienced accuracy issues? I just cannot get consistent with the thing. I started out about 4.5" low and 2.5" to the left, after moving it up and over, it's better, but I can't get it to group well. Any ideas to try?

Funny you mention this, I have the 3.0 and I am having issues too. I’m still eliminating all options at this point. I had rifle barrels threaded, the scopes removed and sent to the custom shop for work, so I have a lot of variables to work out. I have one rifle that impacts 6 MOA low at 100. My groups open up by about 1/4-1/2 MOA. I hogged a barrel channel out that I thought might be contacting the barrel on one rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

These are semi-custom/ custom rifles with worked loads.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven’t personally shot one, but I was told that you can sit on your couch in basement shooting out the patio door and the wife upstairs has no idea.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Funny you mention this, I have the 3.0 and I am having issues too. I’m still eliminating all options at this point. I had rifle barrels threaded, the scopes removed and sent to the custom shop for work, so I have a lot of variables to work out. I have one rifle that impacts 6 MOA low at 100. My groups open up by about 1/4-1/2 MOA. I hogged a barrel channel out that I thought might be contacting the barrel on one rifle.

- - - Updated - - -

The POI and barrel harmonics will change when you hang a 9+ ounce suppressor on the end of your barrel. I’m running (3) 3.0 suppressors and all of them changed the POI and required load tweaking to regain accuracy, but scope adjustments are necessary for the POI changes. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the POI changes. Some rifles move low, some high, some left, etc. Ive also experienced a difference in POI between different suppressors, of the same model, on the same rifle. However, once the load was reworked the accuracy often improved over the unsuppressed version. I attribute this to a reduction in recoil leading to improved shooting technique/flinch.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The POI and barrel harmonics will change when you hang a 9+ ounce suppressor on the end of your barrel. I’m running (3) 3.0 suppressors and all of them changed the POI and required load tweaking to regain accuracy, but scope adjustments are necessary for the POI changes. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how the POI changes. Some rifles move low, some high, some left, etc. Ive also experienced a difference in POI between different suppressors, of the same model, on the same rifle. However, once the load was reworked the accuracy often improved over the unsuppressed version. I attribute this to a reduction in recoil leading to improved shooting technique/flinch.

POI shift is unfortunate but it’s not what bothers me. Group size does. Is there a theme on how to tweak the load or does a guy start over?

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member

Not as quite as I had hoped. Its about the same as the 22LR standard velocity.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I haven’t personally shot one, but I was told that you can sit on your couch in basement shooting out the patio door and the wife upstairs has no idea.

Negative. I can shoot my 22 subsonics without anyone in the house hearing it, but it pretty much has to be a bolt action.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
POI shift is unfortunate but it’s not what bothers me. Group size does. Is there a theme on how to tweak the load or does a guy start over?

Mine haven’t required a change in powder, just a change in charge weight. You shouldn’t have to start over in load development. Try working up loads near your current charge weight. I haven’t needed to change a load more than a grain up or down.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Connor Severance in Wyndmere, ND is a very competent and capable smith.

There’s no “best” silencer, but I will suggest:
- a heavy silencer is one that won’t get used.
- the “quietest” silencer is seldom the “best.” It’s just the quietest in one test with subjective criteria. Db reading should be very low on your list of considerations.
- Some silencers are designed for bolt actions while others are geared towards auto loaders. If you intend to use it for both, get one geared towards auto loaders as back pressure will be a consideration.
- For auto loaders, get an edjustable gas block. If it’s an AR, consider a heavier buffer weight (H2 or H3). (DM I’M looking at you and your PSA AR.)
- Always buy at least a 30 .cal silencer. It’ll work just great for .223.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member

All of my rifles have dedicated suppressors for each and have never been fired without a can so every load has been started from ground zero suppressed except for my .17's. Yes, all from .223 up to 300 RUM and I've never had any issues with grouping, barrel contour doesn't make a bit of difference, yes my LRI guns shoot better than anything off a shelf but you get what you pay for. I can't tell a difference in group size from my dedicated long range rifles compared to my son's little 6 lb 6.5 creed until you get past 600 yards where a 16 lb gun really shines. Work up loads for each gun and when you shoot dots at 100 yds take it from there, that's what works for me.

- - - Updated - - -

They're damn near Hollywood quiet, nothing beats my 9mm with an Octane 9 can and subs except a nasty little thing called the 338 Crazy Ivan, look it up or call Chad at LRI and ask him.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
A while back (December or a bit before), I heard that ATF was getting some 45 more workers to help reduce the time it takes to execute the NFA items. I haven't heard anything about this since the January furlough. It seems the wait times are getting longer. Was hoping to have my Salvo 12 and banisher for deer hunting this year, but doesn't appear that will be the case.

On June 28th, I received an email say Dakota Silencer was receiving back application sent in July of 2018.

Anyone else hear anything about wait times increasing?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
yoby, I got the same email. my paperwork was submitted March 1 2019 was hoping to have it by janurary so I could play around with load development over the winter months with the 22-250

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless something changed they seem longer from friends that purchased. Had one that ordered in December 2017 and just got his a month ago. My last one was ordered in November 2018 and I do not expect to see it until 2020.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is at 18-19 months right now. Seems to be stuck in FBI background which is a hole of no answers. I have contacted a congressman for some assistance. To top it off I just transferred a rifle to my name and have a class 1 FFL!

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you find out the status of an application? I know mine is a while out, but curious where it stands. I had a co-worker and another guy I know purchase one in early 2018 and had them in 10 and 12 months respectively.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can buy a lot of ear plugs or muffs for $900

Debbie-Downer-300x300.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66