Case cleaning- reloading

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been running a vibratory tumbler with walnut media forever now. What’s everybody using for complete (inside and outside) case cleaning? I’m looking for the most cost effective method. Can I achieve this with a vibratory tumbler and stainless media? Do I need a rotary tumbler? A sonic (liquid) cleaner? What household products work instead of buying the “reloading” branded stuff?

Go!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good question, I'm still (40+ years) using a vibrating tumbler.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a stainless tumbler now, biggest issue is decapping before tumbling but with the stainless pins the cases come out like new. It has its drawbacks, such as dry time afterwards and checking for stuck pins, oh and mixing different cases is a terrible idea if one can fit inside the other. I still have the walnut media and vibratory tumbler but almost never use it I just plan ahead now to account for the time to let the cases dry.

My process is decap while watching tv, put in rotary tumbler with armorall wash and wax and some lemishine for 1 hour to 3 hours. Then rinse cases in media separator until suds are gone and pins have fallen out. Then place on towe and roll until dry and then place in front of heater vent for multiple days or if I’m in a hurry into oven at low temp or dehydrator. Then check for stuck pins before loading.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m 30 plus and still using a vibrator...

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd steer you away from the stainless pins thing.
Apparently it can get cases "too clean" which may create inconsistencies with how the neck of the case engages the bullet.
But to me, the bigger issue is the risk of leaving one in there and launching it down your barrel.

I de-cap first and use the rice method as described here:
http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles/clean-brass-with-rice
Rice is dirt-cheap and as long as you get the correct size, doesn't seem to get stuck in the flash hole.

I also add a bit of "Nu Finish" car wax to make them shine and some cut-up used dryer sheets to help collect the grunge.
WP_20171216_006.jpg

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stainless pins, a half teaspoon of dove dish soap, and a tablespoon of Lemishine. I have broken a recap pin on a pin stuck inside the case. Now I rap the case hard neck down. I size with an old RCBS, polish, expand neck and turn if needed, then resize with a neck bushing die. If yournloading more than .002 off center go with a Tasco scope. :::

Augern

I use the 20/40 grit corn blast media. 40 lb bags for $25.
It is fine enough to not stick in the flash holes.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got a Rotary tumbler haven't used in many years, Used Iosso and Birchwood case cleaners alot, does a good job, but you have to dry them, i used a hair dryer, but I use my Vib Tumbler now, just easy, except the flash hole, but time is on my side.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used the corn media and just checked the flash holes before priming. Worked for me. I always reloaded alone so no distractions.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use stainless with soap. Don't need to tumble long. I usually do about 4 hours on a timer.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to mention. I use my jerky/dehydrator to dry my brass. A half hour does it.

Back when I used walnut or corn media I was always concerned about the media inside the case. I didn't want that going up my rifle barrel. I found that the needle to inflate basketballs fit snuggly into the primer hole. So I would take my brass out to my shop and blow them out with 100lb air pressure. The white painted chip board wall got a big red spot and I knew that would have all gone up my gun barrel.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the 20/40 grit corn blast media. 40 lb bags for $25.
It is fine enough to not stick in the flash holes.

Winner.

You can add a couple "gloops" of the Dillon case polish or a couple squirts of Brasso if you want your cases super shiny. I just like "clean". 15-30min just to get the sizing lube off.

Last edited:

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the corn media with flitz metal polish in it. vibratory tumbler. I tried using the sonic cleaner several years ago and was very disappointed. I guess I've never had media stuck in the case or primer pockets that I couldn't clean out.

I've also found that cleaning the cases with the old primer still in place works well. I use hornady One Shot for the case lube, just have to make sure i wipe them all down before i'm finished.

But I don't shoot a hole lot, just enough to be comfortable with my rifle for deer season and shoot the AR once and a while.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t want my brass super shiny though.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I stopped putting even a tiny amount of Flitz in the tumbler media. That stuffed plugged up a lot of primer holes and glued the media in so many cases that it took me an hour to clean the stuff out of the cases with drills, dental picks, etc! Even 5hen I still found some of the cases had some media glued under the shoulders, and powder overflowed the case during the charging.
i agree with Enslow! Who needs bright shiny looking reloads anyway? After reloading for 50 years it’s only in recent years I’ve bought a tumbler, but now just keep my cases out of the gun clean and only use it for really dirty cases. And I use the commercial media straight out of the container and don’t add any snake oil to it. I think we are making a fetish out of a pretty straightforward sometimes necessary step in the reloading process.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My old school way was to put 200 rounds of 22-250 into tumbler with the corn-cab media. Run until they were as clean as I wanted them. When I would take them out I left the tumbler running and would rest the shells on the side of tumbler to shake out media. Then resize, decap and trim. Then back in tumbler to clean off the anti-seize oil. Check the flash pocket for crap and reload and never had a problem except for bad PMC brass and reloading with a kid around that kept trying to help that turned into a nightmare.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Hah! Been there, done that with my kids and grandkids, Lbrandt! Somehow had a primer or two seated backwards, still dunno how! Didn’t shake the primer tray I guess.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I used walnut or corn media I was always concerned about the media inside the case. I didn't want that going up my rifle barrel. I found that the needle to inflate basketballs fit snuggly into the primer hole. So I would take my brass out to my shop and blow them out with 100lb air pressure. The white painted chip board wall got a big red spot and I knew that would have all gone up my gun barrel.
So you're less concerned with potentially leaving a chunk of steel in the case and bouncing that down your rifling at warp speed? :D
Stainless pins are probably fine if you're careful, they're just not for me.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you're less concerned with potentially leaving a chunk of steel in the case and bouncing that down your rifling at warp speed?
That sure crossed my mind. Now they are shinny enough on the inside to look with a small pen light. I check and smack them hard open neck down. I got careful after breaking a decap pin. Now you have me concerned enough about some of the early reloads. Hmm I pick them up off the floor with a magnet. I have some very strong magnets. Time to check my reloads with that magnet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11