? changes to bow/mule deer ?

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
possible option would be having the Badlands archery tag $500.00 for residents and $1,500.00 non-residents? Still no lottery for resident but you have the choice to purchase a badlands tag only for archery or you purchase a state wide archery tag for white tail. Not sure if this make any sense?
I do think that raising our on nonresident tag prices on par with other states is a good idea. I’m don’t think pricing residents out of the badlands is a good idea. Saving the states last free reign areas for those with the money to play is a bad idea.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
They just raised the price on tags a couple years ago... I mostly hunt for food and that is a good way to make it unaffordable to residents who rely on deer to fill their freezer. I think out of state tags could be increased to match whatever they are in surrounding states, maybe average all of them and set it at that. Also allowing one person to draw 3 tags in a year is overkill. Im thinking a single tag any season using any legal weapon during that season is probably the way to go, to make it more fair for everyone.

You are going to catch hell for this comment, but I do agree. If the population rebounds to what is was mid 2000's things could go back to as it is now but with the present population something needs to be done to put a tag in more pockets

Last edited:

MuleyAssassin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do think that raising our on nonresident tag prices on par with other states is a good idea. I’m don’t think pricing residents out of the badlands is a good idea. Saving the states last free reign areas for those with the money to play is a bad idea.
There has to be some value put on that area?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They just raised the price on tags a couple years ago... I mostly hunt for food and that is a good way to make it unaffordable to residents who rely on deer to fill their freezer. I think out of state tags could be increased to match whatever they are in surrounding states, maybe average all of them and set it at that. Also allowing one person to draw 3 tags in a year is overkill. Im thinking a single tag, any season using any legal weapon during that season is probably the way to go, to make it more fair for everyone.
Agree 100 %

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has to be some value put on that area?
I agree, it’s my favorite place to hunt but it’s also purely subjective. If there were more big tracts of public land and access throughout the state there would be less value on the badlands alone. I think dividing it into units or segmenting season dates would help. Raising prices to where only the well-to-do can participate leads us down a bad path. Saving money and splurging for a destination hunt is one thing, but IMO it’s different for a resident hunt.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forget the exact scenario but back in the 70s deer numbers were low so they had a bucks only season and a couple years later there were deer running all over the place. Maybe someone else remembers how it all unfolded but looking back , it sure seems like it was a good solution to low deer numbers. Different from today because back then we had the habitat to support big numbers.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
trouble with the badlands is its one of the few big blocks of public land in nd. with all the posted land it is going to nothing but get worse,

Average_NDA_Member

hmm now you guys make some points unfortunatley theyr wrong but lissen here these liberal game and fish jackwagons need to quit spending my tax money on their salaries and prion nonsense n start puttin some big bucks out there im talkin multiple 180 class per square mile thats what im payin them for tell ya what i deserve it while theyr at it go ahead n ban the sconis n blue platers from takin walleyes from devils lake just northerns for them jackwagons

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allowing the houndsman to hunt mountain lions year round would be a good start. Just my .02
Funny how people forget about predator control, I fully agree with giving the houndsmen more leash (see what I did there). Maybe another thought would be a bounty for coyotes to garner a little more interest to help offsetting the terrible fur prices. I'm not saying make it so every person can go out and get rich but enough to help offset some of the cost for recreation, maybe I'm way off and next thing you know people are going to be complaining because there are too many people coyote hunting and their calling is educating coyotes making it too difficult to hunt them.
As it stands I'm looking at eating tag soup but that is my choice with the low numbers

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OIl field has changed some too, and the great spots you will not get in landowners say no.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My SD West River Special Buck tag was $560.00
What does ND charge for a non resident deer license?

Had a nice chat with a ND game warden on a prairie trail when I was deer hunting. He asked me what I thought about deer numbers (3A3) My reply was slightly below normal from 20 miles west to 20 miles south of Minot. Get west any farther than 20 miles and the population sucked.
I did not fill my ND buck tag, wasn't because of not seeing shooter deer, just that the right opportunity\situation didn't present itself.
Early morning was best and actually seen quite a few mule deer, both bucks and does.

He said biggest problem with the deer population being low was lack of habitat and last winter really hit what deer there was hard.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
$$ ain't gonna do it guys.
You need habitat.
So, giving a few landowners $ to get better habitat . Guess where all the pressure is gonna be?
Far western Mn along the red River sucks too from 20 years ago.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My SD West River Special Buck tag was $560.00
What does ND charge for a non resident deer license?

Had a nice chat with a ND game warden on a prairie trail when I was deer hunting. He asked me what I thought about deer numbers (3A3) My reply was slightly below normal from 20 miles west to 20 miles south of Minot. Get west any farther than 20 miles and the population sucked.
I did not fill my ND buck tag, wasn't because of not seeing shooter deer, just that the right opportunity\situation didn't present itself.
Early morning was best and actually seen quite a few mule deer, both bucks and does.

He said biggest problem with the deer population being low was lack of habitat and last winter really hit what deer there was hard.
$250 white tail buck unlimited and do give out 862 any deer bow tags thing they are same price way to cheap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted unit 4E this year, for probably the 7th or 8th time out of the past 20 years.

Numbers wise, I would say I saw maybe 15-20% of the hunter numbers I expected. This was all on public land. We had days where we heard fewer than 5 gunshots all day.

Yes, the deer numbers were also the lowest I've ever seen, but hunter pressure was also the lowest. Did see a couple of really nice muley bucks though, but that wasn't what we had tags for...nor did we have tags for the elk we ran across.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84