Come On Trappers.....I know you're out there!!!!!!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you know what can be done as far as trapping in city limits? I live along the English Coulée in Grand Forks and have two beavers and a couple muskrat swimming around my area. I have potential for significant damage to my property. The city and park district have been minimally helpful other than saying they can contact the NDGF and have them take a look.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of Fidos and Fiffies running around in an urban environment. Nothing but trouble there. I wouldn't risk it. I'd let the state trapper deal with the beavers and muskrats if they become a problem. The GIANT poo poo storm that would result from whacking the neighbors pet would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of Fidos and Fiffies running around in an urban environment. Nothing but trouble there. I wouldn't risk it. I'd let the state trapper deal with the beavers and muskrats if they become a problem. The GIANT poo poo storm that would result from whacking the neighbors pet would be EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would think the trap would be under water, and it's in an area that no dog or cat would ever get to....the bank is too steep. I guess you would have to see it to know. I just can't stand by and do nothing as I said I have the potential for significant property and tree damage. I have tried using my pellet gun on them, but that has been pretty worthless. How loud are these good pellet guns if you keep the velocity under the sound barrier?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Difficult problem for sure Musky. Whatever you decide, I would probably not advertise it on here. Within city limits, things get fairly wonky and common sense may not apply. Good Luck!! I hope you find a resolution.

MuleyTime

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome job on your first winter! Its amazing what you learn in one year. Defiantly one of the kinda things you learn by mistakes.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the trap would be under water, and it's in an area that no dog or cat would ever get to....the bank is too steep. I guess you would have to see it to know. I just can't stand by and do nothing as I said I have the potential for significant property and tree damage. I have tried using my pellet gun on them, but that has been pretty worthless. How loud are these good pellet guns if you keep the velocity under the sound barrier?
Two words and a number suppressed 300 blackout

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the city called NDGF who in turn called a Federal trapper who got a hold of me. He came out and set up 3 traps and caught the two beavers in a matter of days. Now if I have any more problems I can just call him directly. :;:thumbsup

IMG_5450.jpg

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the city called NDGF who in turn called a Federal trapper who got a hold of me. He came out and set up 3 traps and caught the two beavers in a matter of days. Now if I have any more problems I can just call him directly. :;:thumbsup

101_filtered.jpg

Those teeth are crazy!

lionslayer25

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one heck of a winter Kirk!! And to think that you were just looking for something to do in your retirement years. Ha I told you it is addicting!! Now that you have the bug, there are always openings up in AK to remote jobs you could try out... I remember I used to set a trap or two back when I was a young fellow ��

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
for a begginer, you did great KDM. you have good enthusiasims and hope you do well next year.
i did not trap this past fall but have the 3 years prior. can't say i did real great but sure was a pile of FUN!!.
ended with 74 coyotes (called) and just a few fox. not many around so don't target them.

we have BIG coyotes here in MN and they are a bitch trying to release them. ;:;badidea

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great job Kirk, kickemup and bucks! Trapping is addictive, I've been running snares for a few years now and can't wait for next year. Ended with 93 this year, mostly snared.

January NAFA sale
20141215_074458.jpg
March sale
IMG_20150115_194103239.jpg
Up for the June sale
IMG_20150406_103502133.jpg

Like kickemup said the kids have fun on the trapline too, and make good pack mules
IMG_20150124_111813287.jpg

I plan on doing a snaring journal on another trapping site, and could put it here as well if there is any interest.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heck of a year Bucks and JMF. Going to try and get 100 this next year. Wont be living in the red river valley anymore will help also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 26
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7