Compact Tractor and Dealer Options

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Buy the most HP you can afford. One series bigger then you think you need, if you can swing it. Check out the 3038E if you're not looking for a cabbed tractor.

2. For me it came down to local service and parts, and that pretty much left me with JD. I would stick with JD or Kubota.

3. I kept an eye on these things for a couple years or more. They just hold their damn value so well. I bought new, with 0% interest with JD financing. Once you factor in interest buying used, and the fact I could not find a used one set up the way I wanted, it made sense to buy new.

4. Buy a dedicated zero turn mower and forget the tractor idea. Way better tool for the job. I got a 60" zero turn and I've never wanted to mow the yard with my sub compact.

5. I got prices from 2 different JD dealers and they were very comparable. I ended up buying from the one that was closer to me. And for some reason they did not require near the amount of money down as the other dealer. That was strange and I assume up to the discretion of each dealer I guess.... Leading Edge is a good place to check out.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't read the whole thread but I have a little chunk of dirt I take care of and wanted a compact tractor bad. I was very put off by the high price of the tractors and bought a 2001 773 Bobcat instead and have been very happy with just the forks and dirt bucket.

The tractor will never work in the dirt or maneuver tight spots like the skid steer will.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't read the whole thread but I have a little chunk of dirt I take care of and wanted a compact tractor bad. I was very put off by the high price of the tractors and bought a 2001 773 Bobcat instead and have been very happy with just the forks and dirt bucket.

The tractor will never work in the dirt or maneuver tight spots like the skid steer will.

Yeah I have been back and forth on that as well, especially since once these projects are done I could get by with a whole lot less of a machine. However with the grading a leveling of ground in prep of turf I think I would need a tracked loader for the finishing work, to keep the ruts and compaction down to a minimum with the much heavier machine.

Other part of me thinks I should just hire it all out, but the price of contracted work in Bismarck is nuts, and it also needs to be done in stages which would add some to the cost as well.

racksntails

Don't know the exact scope of work you are looking to do with the machine. But if you haven't already looked I would look into a toolcat. Good machines and they have there purpose and just about anyone can run one.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
a
Yeah I have been back and forth on that as well, especially since once these projects are done I could get by with a whole lot less of a machine. However with the grading a leveling of ground in prep of turf I think I would need a tracked loader for the finishing work, to keep the ruts and compaction down to a minimum with the much heavier machine.

Other part of me thinks I should just hire it all out, but the price of contracted work in Bismarck is nuts, and it also needs to be done in stages which would add some to the cost as well.

Maybe just consider renting what you need for each job. Can get a lot done in a weekend with the right tool for a few hundred bones

onpoint!

Established Member
Have a JD scut, considered a skidder but wanted more versatility around the yard. It has a 60" mower, loader, bblade, 53" front blower and rear blade for snow season. I bought it gently used 6yrs ago and have it serviced occasionally at either RDO Washburn or Minot; both have been good to work with; have purchased attachments from both. With only 3 acres, I wouldn't push a larger utility tractor hard at all; this one is a workhorse and I don't know what I'd have done without it. Not sure about resale - plan on putting a few hundred more hours on it. A neighbor has a skid steer, I rent them for the really tough jobs that need to be done quicker than I could do them (rare).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88