Contemplating a shop build

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Kicking the tires on having a shop built. I would pay to have most of the work done. Thinking 40x60ish possibly a bit smaller and needs to be stick built. Can someone give me a ballpark $ estimate? Heated. Concrete etc. thx

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I built one half that size 2 years ago. Hired concrete out and did the rest myself. Cost was about $24k. 1200 ft2 building with 12 ft side walls. One 16x10 Midland insulated overhead door(roughly 5k for that). Floating slab. Osb was roughly $17 a sheet then.

Last edited:

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
I built one half that size 2 years ago. Hired concrete out and did the rest myself. Cost was about $24k. 1200 ft2 building with 12 ft side walls. One 16x10 Midland insulated overhead door(roughly 5k for that). Floating slab. Osb was roughly $17 a sheet then.
What did you do for insulation

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kicking the tires on having a shop built. I would pay to have most of the work done. Thinking 40x60ish possibly a bit smaller and needs to be stick built. Can someone give me a ballpark $ estimate? Heated. Concrete etc. thx
Full insulated? Lined?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending where you are concrete cost might suck. Talked to a customer last week and asked him where he thought concrete prices were going to be and he said he was still waiting to hear. One of their last pours it was around $230 per yd his cost, that was with trucking and it was cold so additional additives for the temperatures. I would love to put something up myself but restoring old buildings on my farm is probably going to have to be the route I go.
Good luck

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i built a 32x32 pole shed poles 6 feet on center 4 inch closed cell foam on the walls blown in on ceiling painted the spray foam white put tin on ceiling, hired cement and spray foam done one 9 foot overhead and one 16 foot overhead both midland one walk in door and 4 windows. cement was just under 11k with a 16 foot apron on one end insl was just under 4k . the pole shed and tin was around 26k with 4 foot z brick on front and rear.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
4” concrete poured will run you about $10-14 a sq ft plus extra for the thickened edge. Spray foam runs roughly $1 per square foot per inch of thickness. And that’s sprayed surface area not the square footage of the building. You can design a building at Menards to get building price. Labor to frame it will run at least $12 a square foot. Labor to install siding is going for $2-3 per sq ft. Labor to shingle is about $1-1.25 a square foot. I’ve been getting garage door installation prices from $1500-2500 a door if you can believe that. Electrical is all over the place. Price of wiring and components has gone nuts. We’ve been doing steel buildings (we sell and erect them) for about $60 a square foot and on buildings that size it’s cheaper than wood framing them

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending where you are concrete cost might suck. Talked to a customer last week and asked him where he thought concrete prices were going to be and he said he was still waiting to hear. One of their last pours it was around $230 per yd his cost, that was with trucking and it was cold so additional additives for the temperatures. I would love to put something up myself but restoring old buildings on my farm is probably going to have to be the route I go.
Good luck
I can believe that; poured a slab in Bismarck last summer and Strata was 195/yd for 4k psi (204 after fiber added). So the OP's ~35 yards of concrete would be over $7k just for mud.

Menards' website has a project calculator you could play with a bit; it only lets you go up to 40x46 though.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
4” concrete poured will run you about $10-14 a sq ft plus extra for the thickened edge. Spray foam runs roughly $1 per square foot per inch of thickness. And that’s sprayed surface area not the square footage of the building. You can design a building at Menards to get building price. Labor to frame it will run at least $12 a square foot. Labor to install siding is going for $2-3 per sq ft. Labor to shingle is about $1-1.25 a square foot. I’ve been getting garage door installation prices from $1500-2500 a door if you can believe that. Electrical is all over the place. Price of wiring and components has gone nuts. We’ve been doing steel buildings (we sell and erect them) for about $60 a square foot and on buildings that size it’s cheaper than wood framing them
Thankyou for the breakdown

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
i built a 32x32 pole shed poles 6 feet on center 4 inch closed cell foam on the walls blown in on ceiling painted the spray foam white put tin on ceiling, hired cement and spray foam done one 9 foot overhead and one 16 foot overhead both midland one walk in door and 4 windows. cement was just under 11k with a 16 foot apron on one end insl was just under 4k . the pole shed and tin was around 26k with 4 foot z brick on front and rear.
Thanks. I don’t think poles are an option for me

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Try and wire yourself if possible....piss some guys off saying this more than likely but the state electrical board is worse then the Washington swamp.....will not comment on that any further...

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you do it right and it's fully finished, full concrete with aprons, 12 or 14 foot tall decent brand overhead doors, insulated, liner panel, & wired. $200-250k isn't going to be out of the question if your not doing any of the work yourself. it'll depend where you are in the state also, definitely cheaper to build in the east and than it is in the west.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently priced a 40x60 pole barn, and it was about 40K just for the building materials. No dirt work, no labor for building it, no concrete, no insulation. Just the wood and steel and a few doors and windows. I decided I could do without it a few more years.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try and wire yourself if possible....piss some guys off saying this more than likely but the state electrical board is worse then the Washington swamp.....will not comment on that any further...
I’ve wired my last two houses. Saved me an incredible amount of money. Have done numerous wiring projects for friends that have pulled their own permits. They’re doing my their best to prevent this.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently priced a 40x60 pole barn, and it was about 40K just for the building materials. No dirt work, no labor for building it, no concrete, no insulation. Just the wood and steel and a few doors and windows. I decided I could do without it a few more years.
Exactly. Prices have gone bat shit crazy. Used to be far cheaper to do post frame. Not so much anymore

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Built a 40 x 60 shop in 2022. 12 ft sidewalls, heated conc. floor, framed 2x6 @ 16 o.c., steel panel exterior, shingled roof, 2 O.H doors, Did all the dirt/gravel work myself, framed and set trusses, installed wall steel and sheathed the roof. Hired the shingles done. Cost with minimal labor for friends helping was right at $72,000. Concrete was by far the post expensive. Just to set the forms, i used the styrofoam type triangle blocks, finish grade, tie bar and pour was $18k. Used blow in fiberglass for the ceiling, R-50, and batts, R-19, for the walls. Still not done but getting closer. Will have a full kitchen and bath when completed. Did the electrical and plumbing myself. It was very eyeopening when adding everything up!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17