Cost per SQ FT for building a house

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any current market numbers? I'm curious how high they are charging "per sq foot" now compared to 2017..
Very hard to give an accurate number. We built 2 years ago and priced out 3 totally different layouts (ranch w/ basement, 2-story with crawl space and single story). $/sf varied from $130-$160/sf. But like previously mentioned you can have the same exact footprint vary greatly depending on finish selections.
If you're trying to keep the price down two of the big things are limiting footprint (ie limiting foundation and roof) and keeping roof lines simple. Once a roof starts getting complex the price can climb very quickly.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very hard to give an accurate number. We built 2 years ago and priced out 3 totally different layouts (ranch w/ basement, 2-story with crawl space and single story). $/sf varied from $130-$160/sf. But like previously mentioned you can have the same exact footprint vary greatly depending on finish selections.
If you're trying to keep the price down two of the big things are limiting footprint (ie limiting foundation and roof) and keeping roof lines simple. Once a roof starts getting complex the price can climb very quickly.
some today’s roof lines look like a damn jigsaw puzzle - makes me wonder

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was reading an article in the paper down here the other day, and it said building prices here are now running $300 - $500 a sq. ft. That is fricken crazy insane numbers. I realize all material prices are through the roof now and of course labor is nuts.
Add on interest rates, if you have to borrow money to build. Wow!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33