Credit cards

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what everyone carries for plastic? Which card have you found that offers the best rewards. Got a scheels and Capitol 1 but heard the cabelas card is good too. I like putting all my purchases on one card and paying it off monthly so I'm not so much curious about interest rates and so on

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do the same thing. Scheels standard points suck compared to others but the gift card and walking into the store is more rewarding. My amex card gives me the most points but you have to do your homework before using points. If your looking for a fancy trip that is the way to go. Now this year i put a ridiculous amount threw my scheels card. I got a notice recently that i was upgraded to elite somthing or other status and ill get 3pts for all purcheses and 5 for scheels. This makes it much more competitive but the kicker is i have to spend 25,000 this year to keep it(wont happen).

A quick google search and there are plenty of sights breaking down the points and what you can make a point worth. Just remember you start paying interest and you loose in the credit card game quick.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capital one quicksilver 1.5% cashback on all purchases
Chase freedom 1% cash back on all purchases plus 5% on quarterly rotating categories. Use the capital one for all purchases except for where I can get 5% back this quarter it is grocery stores last quarter was gas stations. Both these cards are cash back that can be used as a statement credit, never carry a balance always pay off every month or else it doesn't matter what kind of rewards you are getting with the interest rates you are paying. Thought about getting a scheels card, but I am afraid it will end up costing me money in the long run once I got $500 in gift cards I would go buy a $1000 gun:( and although I do like to shop locally and do shop at scheels a fair amount a guy can find cheaper prices elsewhere on a lot of things(not a dig at scheels just the way it is)

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Amex sky miles and flex perk us bank visa. I support my stock equity

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had excellent service from my Cap1 venture travel rewards card. use it for nearly everything and get enough points annually to about cover a week long vaca travel and lodging costs every year with double points on everything and no limits of use make it nice, just use the travel cost eraser option and pick and choose what I want to use my points for after a trip, makes the 90 bucks a year fee for it a no brainer get that back after about a months use every year.Thumbs Up

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capital 1 Qucksilver (1.5% cash back) for me. I really only use it for online or larger purchases in which I was the points. I should have a Menards card (2%) for the amount of time I spend in that damn place but I just never have gotten one.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Scheels card that gets the most use, but also have Cabela's, Amazon, Menards, and a American Express. Any of them that get used get paid off each month. I have carried a balance on my Scheels one for a couple months when I went a bit hog wild purchasing excess stuff.

Mrs johnr does not like paying interest, and I was scolded like a school kid.

She carries a bunch of department store cards too. I would guess she has over 10 cards, or which depending on the store can save a bunch of money up front.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use to have a Scheels and a Fleet Farm card. I got pissed off when they screwed up a payment cycle and got hit paying the interest. Canceled both now all I have our USAA (was MasterCard, they just switched to Visa). Have one for personal usage and one that I dedicate to work expenses. 1.25% cash back on the one and 1 pnt for each $1 on the other. I can redeem the pnts for gift cards, merchandise ect.

We also pay it off monthly. can't stand paying interest.

Last edited:

Sarge

I have a Discover Platinum card that the wife and I use to put almost everything on. I think it offers 1.5% cash back on all purchases and then rotating 5% monthly categories. We pay the statement balance off each month so we aren't charged any interest like most others on here. The only reason we have the card is for the cash back rewards. We usually use the rewards to do all the Christmas shopping or just put it towards a statement credit. To me it's a no brainer (if you are financially responsible) to utilize one of these cards offering rewards for your monthly purchases. If you are going to be spending the money either way why not get a little something in return. Plus many of these cards offer extended warranty on all purchases, price matching guarantees, theft protection, free monthly credit score with the statement, and several other benefits built in. I have had the card for 6 years or so and am happy with it, although I am sure there are better out there.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cash or bank debit is the only way I'll go.

Not a bad plan, however I have a buddy that's account was hacked, and they drained his bank account, and his savings, as he had it set up to pull out of savings when his checking account became low.
it was $6000+ that flew out of his account on that dreaded day. Of course the bank reimbursed the lost funds, but it took a couple weeks.
With a charge card you aren't out any actual money in this scenario.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wondering what everyone carries for plastic? Which card have you found that offers the best rewards. Got a scheels and Capitol 1 but heard the cabelas card is good too. I like putting all my purchases on one card and paying it off monthly so I'm not so much curious about interest rates and so on

I'm the same way, Gus. I put everything I can on the credit card and pay it all off at the end of the month. I was using the Scheels Card (approximately $150/yr in gift cards), but my bank, USAA, was offering 1.5% back on everything (added $50/yr to my pocket). Now, I cancelled my Scheels Card and opened up a CitiBank DoubleCash card. They offer 2% back on everything (another $100/yr to my pocket) no matter what it is and where purchased.

If you look at the websites that Eric speaks of above. They can tell you which company does the best for rewards based on how your spending goes. If you put everything on one card and pay it always off, the DoubleCash was the #1 answer. Because, if you're always paying the amount, in-full, every month, who cares what interest rate they're putting on the darned thing?

I expect to make $300/yr in returns, now.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
US bank Flex Perks. 5% back on some things, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else. Never carry a balance. Pretty much do all of my banking with USBank. Convenient and get some breaks on interest rates.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to be a cash person - then woke up one day and said i am paying for all the merchant fees for every other person i might as well jump on the band wagon and get some points.

Interesting -- When i bought my last boat i purchased it at cabelas on a road trip to the cities. That morning i made a transfer from savings to checking for what i thought would be boat money if i ran into one. I was stopping at a couple different dealerships on the way down.

Of course i love to hassle over price --- anyway made a deal at cabelas. It was a saturday and i wanted to take the boat home if possible. The sales guy just looked when i brought out the persoanal check . I didnt know what to think as i had purchased a new truck with a personal check in bismarck and the dealership at that time took it and threw me the keys. But i was prepared to drive back if needed. So the guy at cabelas says no need to drive back you can write out a check but not more than 10k -- we want the rest on your card. I am like really -- your going to incur that. He said corporate doesnt care they just dont want personal check over 10. So on the way home I spoke to my wife - she was like why didnt you put the whole think on the card. I was like something is just wrong with that. New era folks. And yes the card was paid off - as soon the charge showed up online.

- - - Updated - - -

an yes i should of charged that extra 10 -- i would of got some triple diple miles or something like that. I lost out on something card wise i dont remember.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like credit cards so i can buy things i cant afford...

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Chase MasterCard I use for everything. Had it since 1984. Get about $500 a year back.

I have never had a debit card. I consider them unsafe. It's a direct link to your bank account and you are 100% liable if someone hacks it, unlike credit cards where the issuer takes on almost all the liability.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chase Sapphire Preferred. It gets used for work expenses/personal and paid off monthly, have built up a good amount of rewards points. Used to have a SW Airline Chase card but stopped once I moved back from Denver (as they don't fly out of Fargo).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34