Decent air rifle

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the market for a reasonable priced air rifle to get rid of some pigeons that moved in on me and refuse to leave. Will the cheap daisy or crossman that you can pick up at walmart shoot a 1'' group at 50' ? Or anything else under 50 bucks that will get the job done. It will probably hang on a nail in the shed the rest of it's life Just don't want to shoot buildings full of holes. I humbled myself with my slingshot.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep your eyes on bisman and the same kind of websites for a single stroke pellet rifle. 50 bucks hardly buys a red ryder anymore. i had a multi pump pellet rifle from daisy, cant remember model. cheapo black plastic one from walmart. It was not accurate and the power seemed to be all over the board. I think you would be happier with a better gun. just my 2 cents

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on the ammo, those single-stroke pellet rifles can put holes in sheet metal (like pole barns, etc) too. Even 20 years ago, those multi-pump bb guns could -- my dad is still not impressed :rolleyes:.
You might try a 22 lr with bird shot, although the range is limited.
Personally, I like what a 22-250 does to a pigeon, but for safety sake, you need to wait for them to be on the ground (some scattered corn, wheat or soybeans should help with that) and be aware of the backdrop.

Attachments

42422330_10155597975627341_1359060525857636352_n.jpg

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a minimum expense, look for a used Benjamin/Sheridan. I doubt you'll get a decent one for $50, though.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crossman Pumpmaster 760 would make a good nail hanger for minimum expense. BB's shoot like crap out of them, but pellets shoot well. I killed thousands of birds with one back in my days of youth.

- - - Updated - - -

Crossman Pumpmaster 760 would make a good nail hanger for minimum expense. BB's shoot like crap out of them, but pellets shoot well. I killed thousands of birds with one back in my days of youth.

Check that. The old ones had rifled barrels and the new ones are smooth bore. They still get descent reviews though.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
For a minimum expense, look for a used Benjamin/Sheridan. I doubt you'll get a decent one for $50, though.

This is your best bet without all the tweaking necessary to get a good group. Buy quality heavy pellets in any gun you chose. I get a .30cal hole at 25 with my Chinese Daisy 880 and Gamo 7.5gr When I had a springer, best groups were attained with RWS Supermags (9.5gr). You can get the Gamo's at Scheel's.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure your bbl specs are not reversed?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy has a Gamo Whisper. Has good zip but is not overly accurate. I remounted the scope for him since it came with aluminum ones and the scope shook loose. You need to put steel rings on the Gamos due to the spring recoil. Anyway the best I could get it to shoot was a 2-3 inch group at 40 yards, but with at .177 cal pellet a fart will effect windage.

The other thing is, they cost $250+...If I pay that I'd rather get a HMR or 10/22.

ssmckeeves

Founding Member
Founding Member
i picked up a 22 cal ruger from walmart about 150 bucks it came with a scope, ive been plinkin squirrels at a range of 20- 60 yds and havent missed yet its dead on darn accurate
1200fps
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got back from Walmart and found a Crossman Fury 2 Blackout on sale for $ 50 , Almost like they saw me coming and knew what I would spend , Haha. It came with a scope but I have a target scope I will slap on it and see how it shoots. The trigger feels like crap but it is adjustable and I see there is an easy mod for that. It will be a good pigeon gun and with the price of 22 shells I might have to get the grand kids a cheater pipe to cock it and make them shoot it. 25 yard target that I found online.

photo-1.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
In need of a good starter for the middle child. I think I'll have to swing into Wal-Mart ... good find. Thanks

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on your child's age and strength , The bare rifle is just over 6 #, By the time I get a scope with some decent mounts it will be over 7 with almost all the weight out front. I don't see it being a good shooter for real young kids because of the weight but for $ 50 it can sit in the box till they grow into it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davy, if this gun is a springer you can mess up a scope in short order unless it's an airgun scope or Leupold. These springers kick in both directions. Don't forget what I said about the heavy pellets...if that group is from a rest it's ah umm kinda sucks. Also, just as with a firearm, better groups come from consistent temps. In the case of an airgun, it's the compression chamber you need to let cool between shots.

- - - Updated - - -

th

- - - Updated - - -

The info I provided about the scope may now be outdated IDK. One thing I forgot to mention: Shooting a springer is more akin to shooting a bow than a firearm. Don't pull it into your shoulder or try to steady it too much. The gun must be allowed to vibrate. Lot's of stuff on the net about it. I went back to a pneumatic and now can enjoy a more familiar shooting style.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Svn for the heads up, I had heard that before too but it slipped my ageing mind. I might have wrecked a good scope. Yea, the target isn't anything to bring home but It's pigeon sized with power for $ 50 , That makes me happy. I have shot 2 expensive ones that will blow pellets through the same hole all day long, I wished I owned one, they are a couple grand and worth every penny if your not tighter than a fiddle string.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, you could tighten that up EASY! That's just the kind of little tweaking deal that would do me right at this time. First step is a Tasco airgun scope out of Cabella's. Next is an assortment of heavy pellets from the same place. That is if you're interested. I really wouldn't bet money on my scope "advice" anymore. I do know my Tasco with adjustable parallax now does a fine job on the .22. I think I paid 25 bucks for it in 2000.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

i picked up a 22 cal ruger from walmart about 150 bucks it came with a scope, ive been plinkin squirrels at a range of 20- 60 yds and havent missed yet its dead on darn accurate
1200fps
image.jpg
1200 in .22?! Holy shiite.

- - - Updated - - -

See, I didn't want ssteve's correspondence with Davy's. Or probably this post either.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will see what the trigger gets like first , I let one rip out the window and I almost needed a come along to pull the trigger. That's ok for killing a pigeon but I won't try to show off in front of my boys with something like that. Does it wreck stuff if you dry fire spring guns ?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha Not yet but I was thinking about when I tinker with the trigger, My muzzle has to point up to check the trigger pull and I'm in the house. Guess I better try using my fish scale and shoot into the woods.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I'm an antiquated airgun "expert". Read above articles and decide I guess.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74