Deep cell batteries

Labcrazy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need help guys. Need to buy a couple new deep cells. Not willing to spend the money for Optima's so whats the best batteries for 150 each? Interstates still the way to go?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly just replaced mine this year the date on the batteries was 4-11 they are group 29 ever start maxx 100 bucks at Walmart now, when I bought them they were 86. Can't complain about 6.5 seasons on trolling batteries.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus if you have to they have one of the longer battery warranties, I did replace my starting battery with a crown from the battery doctor in mandan, good dude good product as well but 180 bucks for a group 29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Duracell brand at batteries and bulbs. Pretty darn good bang for the buck after core refund and rebate. I bought 3 group 31 and got the 3rd one for almost free.
2 year 100% replacement
They're big AGM has a 5 year 100% replacement.
Sams club sells them also and they all get very good reviews.
Allot of battery companies have decided to go the cheap rout the last couple years and are nothing like they used to be.
AGM Duracell.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interstate for me, replaced 4 years ago for less than 100$ per battery, group 29's and still going strong. Starter battery is still original and 9 years old. Battery life goes hand in hand in how many times you run them down and recharge and how you winter store them.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fleet Farm. AGMs. Probably going to be ~$20ea over your budget but it's $$ well spent.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
nearly all the people I've talked to using optimas have been very disappointed. The optimas I've used in different things weren't worth a shit. Trojans were the best I've used in my boat but hard to find. Many of the batteries are made by the same company with a different label on em.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Need help guys. Need to buy a couple new deep cells. Not willing to spend the money for Optima's so whats the best batteries for 150 each? Interstates still the way to go?

nearly all the people I've talked to using optimas have been very disappointed. The optimas I've used in different things weren't worth a shit. Trojans were the best I've used in my boat but hard to find. Many of the batteries are made by the same company with a different label on em.

Optima took their production to Mexico a few years back. They also quit using 100% virgin lead and went to 48% virgin lead and 52% reclaimed lead. Since they did that their batteries aren't worth buying. I had a set warrantied several years ago for the "new" ones from Mexico, they lasted a year and a half.

AGM are worth the extra money to me. I have 2 in my Willys, 2 deep cycle in the camper, 2 in the crewcab and am putting 2 in my van this week.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd bought Interstate for all my vehicles and boats for probably 30+ years. I finally said to heck with it. The deep cycles typically had full strength for one year and then by half way thru the second year had lost some power. In vehicles I'd still have warranty left and they'd always have some excuse as to why it wasn't covered. In my boats when you consider you need one for the big motor, one for the accessories, and three for the trolling motor it gets expensive to constantly replace them. Two years ago I went with the deep cycles from CARQUEST (autozone now I believe). I liked that they had a larger battery that fit in a 29 tray. I'm on 2 and a half years on them and they still provide me power all day even on the most heavy use days. For my other batteries I've gone to Walmart batteries. Friends that have said any issue and they replace them on the spot. Unlike the poor service I'd receive from Interstate.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Optima took their production to Mexico a few years back. They also quit using 100% virgin lead and went to 48% virgin lead and 52% reclaimed lead. Since they did that their batteries aren't worth buying. I had a set warrantied several years ago for the "new" ones from Mexico, they lasted a year and a half.

AGM are worth the extra money to me. I have 2 in my Willys, 2 deep cycle in the camper, 2 in the crewcab and am putting 2 in my van this week.

Hmm, good to know. I was an Optima fan, both in boat and vehicles.. Boat batteries (blue top) never had an issue but my red top batteries in work vehicle have failed due to heat. They are the GM version with the side post and seems like the side post is connected to top post of battery with a connecting wire that is outside of actual case. Well when engine compartment get high, the top of battery will bulge and it seems to break the connection and voltage drops to zero.. I am waiting on next failure to do some destructive investigation. I made a jumper to solve the short term stranded on road issue... Meanwhile I am likely to buy cheap Walmart battery when push comes to shove. But I really like AGM batteries...

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Duracell brand at batteries and bulbs. Pretty darn good bang for the buck after core refund and rebate. I bought 3 group 31 and got the 3rd one for almost free.
2 year 100% replacement
They're big AGM has a 5 year 100% replacement.
Sams club sells them also and they all get very good reviews.
Allot of battery companies have decided to go the cheap rout the last couple years and are nothing like they used to be.
28958614_2025675971020447_6644843555472801792_n.jpg

I sucked it up and put all blue top duracel batteries in. Absolutely love them suckers. They last forever.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Duracell for me too. Bought three of the 31s at batteries and bulbs-almost 2 years and still running very strong

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used Wall Mart for a while. Batteries were junk but warranty was good. They changed the warranty recently so I went back to interstate. I think it really comes down how you take care of them. The wall Mart batteries if you forget to charge them after a outing you will be replacing them.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm wishing I would have given the Duracell's from Sam's a try. Might not last any longer but the price us right.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walmarts were good about 10 years ago, they took the cheap rout as well. I read where there are 15 lbs lighter than ones made years ago. I had some go over 8 years back then.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34