Deer hunting land

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Geez guys I already had a really sweet and wildly successful thread with all this going on! Hmm maybe the horse still needs some beating...haha

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about buy your bow tag by say June 1st, then during the drawing for gun if you are successful, then you get a dual purpose tag. Archery statewide and gun in designated unit.

This was part of what I was discussing with the G&F when it was brought up before. They don't want to do that because they claim they wouldn't be able to manage the rifle units then.

Reducing the number of years between tags in order to maintain interest has merit....

There was talk of tweaking the lottery for this and there were some good ideas but nothing ever came of it.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why are you, a bow hunter I presume, promoting the shut down of other forms of hunting? I am not trying to shut down bow hunting I am promoting the elimination of doubling up on deer tags at a time when the deer population is at a low point. With the type of system I proposed above gives the bow hunter a guaranteed tag with no changes to the regs in place now. The only effect it would have on a bow hunter is they chose to purchase a bow tag they would not be allowed a rifle or muzzy tag. If they chose not to purchase a bow tag they could apply for a lottery tag along will all the other applicants

If limiting one tag per person is such a bad thing why does the G&F limit the Moose, Elk, & Bighorn to one tag for life?

I have an even better idea. Let's shut down rifle and muzzy seasons and only allow archery hunting. Everyone can get a tag and the number of deer killed will likely drop there fore increasing the deer herd even more. Win/win!

Now your system still limits the number who can hunt mine doesn't so which is better?:cool:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
comparing deer to those other animals is like comparing black cats to nuclear bombs....... How do you know deer numbers are at a low point other than the swag guess?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why are you, a bow hunter I presume, promoting the shut down of other forms of hunting? I am not trying to shut down bow hunting I am promoting the elimination of doubling up on deer tags at a time when the deer population is at a low point. With the type of system I proposed above gives the bow hunter a guaranteed tag with no changes to the regs in place now. The only effect it would have on a bow hunter is they chose to purchase a bow tag they would not be allowed a rifle or muzzy tag. If they chose not to purchase a bow tag they could apply for a lottery tag along will all the other applicants

If limiting one tag per person is such a bad thing why does the G&F limit the Moose, Elk, & Bighorn to one tag for life?
I'm a hunter, I like bow hunting but I also like rifle and muzzle loader hunting. You are trying to eliminate my ability to enjoy those things. We currently have the same ability to enjoy all of those but because you choose not to you want to eliminate someone else's too. So apparently you don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do agree with you that the that G&F needs to upgrade their methods in determining the states deer population and how the determine the amount of tags to give out each season. What I don't agree with you on is your claim of " I bow hunt every year that is my right " hunting is not a right it is a privilege, if hunting was a right I would have the right to rifle hunt every year also.

With a little research you would know that ND is a right to hunt state. Making it my right to bow hunt or anyone else.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you know that the deer population is low? Did you do a fly over and do a survey? If you did you should give the data to the G&F. I bet it's been 5 years minimum since they did a survey.

REM788

I haven't posted on here yet, but after reading through this I felt I should. After watching deer for many years, and yes I have shot a buck with my bow and rifle, I have come to some conclusions. The deer numbers are not down and limiting archery tags or going to single tags will not help with the number of deer you see. I honestly believe the deer are moving and congregating more densely in select areas. We have so so land we hardly see deer on anymore and great land that has numbers we haven't seen before. Now, is it possible we are getting like MT. Where the plots and public lands are getting so over hunted that the deer are populating and prospering on the private or the neighbors. Honestly the last 4 years have been some of the best I remember, but it's all locked up. So, are the numbers actually down, will limiting tags help, will you see more deer because I didn't get a rifle & bow tag. I'm sorry, but no. I hope all have a great hunting season and if you ask you will get on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Welcome aboard REM788!! A very lucid, non-politically charged, well thought out post for your first. Very different than a usual first post and I don't quite know what to say about that, but I hope you stick around and play.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 43
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14