Deer tag system changes

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can think of at least one person here I'd like to remove from the reproductive pool and the deer tag I'd get in return would be icing on the cake.

OK OK you can wear your puffy shirt to skeet tomorrow. No need for violence.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I read all these I think of what past G&F Director Dean Hildebrand would always tell us about every visitor who would come to offer their advice. He said as every person would talk he looked for the WIIFM. What's In It For Me. Every single person would offer all these great suggestions and have every reason imaginable to justify them. And with most every one of them it was all about making the rules and system work to perfectly accommodate their schedules, wants, needs, personal preferences and the like. The WIIFM.

I like how things are done and managed. I wish there were preference points for the big 3 but so be it.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've said this for a few years now that the game and fish need to do deer survey's every single year not just when there is snow on the ground. On the years when there is no snow compare the numbers to other years of no snow. I just hear on the radio today that they have just completed a duck brood survey, they do crow counts for pheasants, and count grouse every single year yet they rarely get a deer count in and deer are the most desirable species's to hunt I think. There is no reason the game wardens can't do a count every time they go out from December- March. The reason for this is so that they don't give out 110,000 tags when there should be 45,000 tags like what happened a few years back. I think we are still trying to recover from that one year. As for the gratis tags just limit them to a percentage of the available tags in that unit. 75% or even 50% idk what would be a good number. But 2,000 tags in a unit at 50% max gratis would give each group 1000 tags. I think we need to change something with the gratis tags if this is the new norm for deer tags or it will be all pay hunting in this state within 10 years with everyone getting gratis tags (leasing hunting rights).

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have actual statistics on your claim of less than 50% success in archery

Using the magical powers of the search function on the NDGF website, I was able to find this. I'm going to start charging a fee I think. Fly Carpin's Country Style Googlin'. You got easy questions that need answerin'? Come on down! Our team of experts will take your NDA post question, plug it into Google, and get you an answer in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed!

2016 Deer Season Summarized

Mon, 04/17/2017

A total of 44,140 North Dakota deer hunters took approximately 29,300 deer during the 2016 deer gun hunting season, according to a post-season survey conducted by the state Game and Fish Department.
Game and Fish made available 49,000 deer gun licenses last year. Overall hunter success was 66 percent, with each hunter spending an average of 4.4 days in the field.
Hunter success for antlered white-tailed deer was 72 percent, and antlerless whitetail was 60 percent.
Mule deer buck success was 89 percent, and antlerless mule deer was 78 percent.
Hunters with any-antlered or any-antlerless licenses generally harvest white-tailed deer, as these licenses are predominantly in units with mostly whitetails. Buck hunters had a success rate of 71 percent, while doe hunters had a success rate of 66 percent.
Game and Fish issued 13,466 gratis licenses in 2016, and 11,369 hunters harvested 6,593 deer, for a success rate of 58 percent.
A record 26,755 archery licenses (24,532 resident, 2,223 nonresident) were issued in 2016. In total, 22,071 bow hunters harvested 9,492 deer (8,686 whitetails, 806 mule deer), for a success rate of 43 percent.

Last edited:

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Oh for "F" sakes!!! Leave the system alone!! I was denied everything in ND except a bow tag. SO WHAT!?!?!? I had 3 buck tags in ND last year and it took 9 years to get the muzzy tag and 4 to get the rifle tag so I expect that to happen again. It's LUCK of the draw and everything is equal for everyone. I know getting a ND rifle or muzzy tag is tough right now and as a result I plan to NOT get one. It's important enough to me that I've made it a priority to go rifle hunting so I will be doing so in MN and MT and I might start in SD as well. The loudest bitching I hear every year is based almost solely on the "I don't get to hunt bucks in ND exactly where I want to every year for $30 so lets F the system up so I can." mentality. That's CRAP!!!! Opportunities to rifle hunt deer ARE available in other places besides ND. You just have to prioritize, plan, and prepare!! Take your bonus points, toast the lucky hunters that got a tag, and move on. If I had one thing I would change is the time it takes to get the lottery results out.

You say you had 3 tags last year...So just a hypothetical, but would you rather have had 2 tags last year and 2 tags again this year? Like I said before, I really don't care either way. I bow hunt and go back to MN to hunt, plus my wife bow hunts as well. 3 deer is more than enough for our little family.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the magical powers of the search function on the NDGF website, I was able to find this. I'm going to start charging a fee I think. Fly Carpin's Country Style Googlin'. You got easy questions that need answerin'? Come on down! Our team of experts will take your NDA post question, plug it into Google, and get you an answer in 30 minutes or less, guaranteed!

2016 Deer Season Summarized

Mon, 04/17/2017

A total of 44,140 North Dakota deer hunters took approximately 29,300 deer during the 2016 deer gun hunting season, according to a post-season survey conducted by the state Game and Fish Department.
Game and Fish made available 49,000 deer gun licenses last year. Overall hunter success was 66 percent, with each hunter spending an average of 4.4 days in the field.
Hunter success for antlered white-tailed deer was 72 percent, and antlerless whitetail was 60 percent.
Mule deer buck success was 89 percent, and antlerless mule deer was 78 percent.
Hunters with any-antlered or any-antlerless licenses generally harvest white-tailed deer, as these licenses are predominantly in units with mostly whitetails. Buck hunters had a success rate of 71 percent, while doe hunters had a success rate of 66 percent.
Game and Fish issued 13,466 gratis licenses in 2016, and 11,369 hunters harvested 6,593 deer, for a success rate of 58 percent.
A record 26,755 archery licenses (24,532 resident, 2,223 nonresident) were issued in 2016. In total, 22,071 bow hunters harvested 9,492 deer (8,686 whitetails, 806 mule deer), for a success rate of 43 percent.

Thanks for posting. The success of rifle hunters is surprisingly low. I would have thought it would've been north of 80%. And only 4.4 days average hunting? You'd think after not drawing a tag after a number of years people would put the time in, in the very least.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh for "F" sakes!!! Leave the system alone!! I was denied everything in ND except a bow tag. SO WHAT!?!?!? I had 3 buck tags in ND last year and it took 9 years to get the muzzy tag and 4 to get the rifle tag so I expect that to happen again. It's LUCK of the draw and everything is equal for everyone. I know getting a ND rifle or muzzy tag is tough right now and as a result I plan to NOT get one. It's important enough to me that I've made it a priority to go rifle hunting so I will be doing so in MN and MT and I might start in SD as well. The loudest bitching I hear every year is based almost solely on the "I don't get to hunt bucks in ND exactly where I want to every year for $30 so lets F the system up so I can." mentality. That's CRAP!!!! Opportunities to rifle hunt deer ARE available in other places besides ND. You just have to prioritize, plan, and prepare!! Take your bonus points, toast the lucky hunters that got a tag, and move on. If I had one thing I would change is the time it takes to get the lottery results out.

I agree people play the it is to expensive to go out of state card which is bs. Quit chewing or going out to eat a prioritize what you want to do. If i did not draw a tag here at all and still wanted to hunt i would look at options and do what i need to if i want to rifle hunt. I want a mule deer i did not draw a rifle tag but i did not practice enough with a bow to responsibly hunt with it. I had options but did not take advantage no ones fault but mine. So do i cry about it nope i make time and next year i will have a bow in hand and will blow a bunch of stalks on mule deer but i will have made my opportunity to hunt 50% more. People need to take it upon them selves if they want to hunt and not the govt.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for posting. The success of rifle hunters is surprisingly low. I would have thought it would've been north of 80%. And only 4.4 days average hunting? You'd think after not drawing a tag after a number of years people would put the time in, in the very least.

No problem. That'll be $29.95

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
There is no system of issuing tags that would make a significant difference in how often a person gets to hunt - especially for species and units that are in high demand. There will always be more people wanting tags than tags available. If you have 200 tags and 1000 applicants you will get a license about every 5 years. Sometimes a little sooner sometimes it takes a little longer but there's no way to change that. The only thing that will change that is better habitat and better deer numbers or a reduction in the number of people applying.

This! If you want better deer hunting, and better odds at drawing a tag, start doing something on the conservation end.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have not sent my paper application in yet and now you tell me they already had the drawing. That needs to be fixed. db

- - - Updated - - -

But since about 98 I have got the license I apply for every year. Bow
Other applications is for mule deer and in 20 years I have had three of them. Muzzle loader yes but it will now be 9 years, would need to buy a muzzle loader so I guess I complete with you for that.

I have never promoted taking anything away from you rifle hunters.

So in order to make all you rifle hunters happy, please do not take my bow hunt away from me.
I have shot 5 bucks in that time. Planted many food plots, trees and countless hours doing this. I have brought a number of teenagers and younger to my stands for their first kill with a bow (doe). And countless hours of watching, videoing, watching my crops grown and adding to my life span.

Yes I get upset with the gratis. Last year I seen the picture of the guy who got a gratis tag, his wife got one and his three older daughter got one. So I seen the picture of his five bucks he shot and bragged about. Some on land not on the application. And no one says anything. Yes there are things that need to be fixed and a good share of that is us ourselves. db

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
You say you had 3 tags last year...So just a hypothetical, but would you rather have had 2 tags last year and 2 tags again this year? Like I said before, I really don't care either way. I bow hunt and go back to MN to hunt, plus my wife bow hunts as well. 3 deer is more than enough for our little family.

- - - Updated - - -

This sums up the topic. It is the elite few that are complaining year after year after year about not drawing their rifle tag for the unit they want. They seem to think the system needs to be changed entirely JUST to tip the hand in their favor. It's a joke. Get over it, you do not get everything you want.

Now because they didn't get what they wanted, lets take away the archery tags and take away the tags from the landowners. All so we can appease the minority of people complaining that they system is broke. But those same people are putting in for the units that take 5+ years to draw... Good grief

Are you sure some of you didn't vote for Hilda-beast? Didn't realize liberals enjoyed hunting that much...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the GNF practice of determining tags based on success percentage is a little flawed. Just because the success rate drops below 70% doesn't necessarily mean there were fewer deer, lots of things factor into success rates, weather, how many days a person actually hunts, standing crops, picky hunters, etc. They really do need to figure out a way to determine the actual deer population every year and stop going by success %.

Another thing I would like them to do is allow people to purchase a preference point rather then actually having to apply for a tag. That would remove quite a few applicants out of the harder to draw units each year as they would more then likely just purchase a point until they feel they had enough to draw the tag.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the GNF practice of determining tags based on success percentage is a little flawed. Just because the success rate drops below 70% doesn't necessarily mean there were fewer deer, lots of things factor into success rates, weather, how many days a person actually hunts, standing crops, picky hunters, etc. They really do need to figure out a way to determine the actual deer population every year and stop going by success %.

Another thing I would like them to do is allow people to purchase a preference point rather then actually having to apply for a tag. That would remove quite a few applicants out of the harder to draw units each year as they would more then likely just purchase a point until they feel they had enough to draw the tag.

ask and you shall receive. this is an option starting in 2018 in ND

- - - Updated - - -

it was part of the legislative session bill got amended in its original version and the purchase a point became law starting in 2018

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Had this exact conversations with Randy Kriel at a G&F advisory meeting out in Bowbells years ago. Explained how a blizzard that blocked every road outside the main bladed ones that hit 2 days before season limited hunter success not number of deer in several northern units.......got looked at like I was an idiot.

There is/was? a mind set amoungst some folks there that simple folk don;t have the "training" to figure out stuff that should be left to the professionals....

- - - Updated - - -

pay to hunt?

that bill was likely brought forth by a legislator bought and paid for by a rancher with an outfitting business. ;)

Wait a minute, if these ranchers are starting up all these outfitting businesses (from another thread here) why would they be "whining" to close hunting seasons. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Easy there just being a scociopath for a moment. Back to the thread topic.....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same system with a couple mild winters. All we need is more animals and we all would be happier clams.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
S

Another thing I would like them to do is allow people to purchase a preference point rather then actually having to apply for a tag. That would remove quite a few applicants out of the harder to draw units each year as they would more then likely just purchase a point until

would you still be able to apply and draw you first choice in another unit and purchase a point the same year or would you have to sit completely on the sideline?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason for this is so that they don't give out 110,000 tags when there should be 45,000 tags like what happened a few years back. I think we are still trying to recover from that one year.

IMO I think we made it past that. Prior to this winter, how many years did we go with mild winters and high fawn rates? 4-5 years? That's more than enough to bring back the population to what the habitat will allow. And that is the main difference between the years with 100k tags and what we have now.

I don't have the data but the loss of CRP, trees, and habitat since those years is huge. Its not just bad winters and high tag numbers that have the deer population where its at.

I think many can agree last years winter took many deer to the brink. They survived off of feed lots, bales, and standing crops. I'm guessing that if we went into the winter with 30k more deer in the herd we wouldn't have much different deer numbers this summer as we currently have.

This is the new normal until we see a change in habitat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46