Deer tag system changes

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
S
I think the GNF practice of determining tags based on success percentage is a little flawed. Just because the success rate drops below 70% doesn't necessarily mean there were fewer deer, lots of things factor into success rates, weather, how many days a person actually hunts, standing crops, picky hunters, etc. They really do need to figure out a way to determine the actual deer population every year and stop going by success %.

Another thing I would like them to do is allow people to purchase a preference point rather then actually having to apply for a tag. That would remove quite a few applicants out of the harder to draw units each year as they would more then likely just purchase a point until

would you still be able to apply and draw you first choice in another unit and purchase a point the same year or would you have to sit completely on the sideline?
Purchase a point AND get in the first lottery? If you purchase a point that is your first choice.

Capture.JPG

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of habitat does it take to carry another 30k deer through a winter like last year?

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
pay to hunt?

I guess I supported the option. I am not a guide or outfitter

scenario-- I drew my badlands mule deer last year. very very very unlikely I draw this year. if I could have purchased as point I would have. hence leaving me out of draw, leaving others with better odds. instead I did not have that option I put in and was another potential person to draw a competitive tag. I don't think it was brought on by any outfitters rather savvy hunters who like the option in other western states. imo

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
What kind of habitat does is take to carry another 30k deer through a winter like last year?

Mother nature can dominate any year she chooses, but in general an increase in habitat is going to boost numbers.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Bitch bitch bitch You don't like it. Go down to sams and buy some beef. It's probably governors burgums fault. Right?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mother nature can dominate any year she chooses, but in general an increase in habitat is going to boost numbers.

I agree. However, I think too many people believe CRP is the answer to all things habitat. CRP will help improve fawn survival in the spring/summer/fall but will do absolutely nothing to help those same fawns through a year like last. Single tree rows may be great for soil conservation but they are buffet lines for predators. It takes large blocks of thermal cover to carry deer through a winter like last year. The deer population will ebb and flow as it has always done.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. However, I think too many people believe CRP is the answer to all things habitat. CRP will help improve fawn survival in the spring/summer/fall but will do absolutely nothing to help those same fawns through a year like last. Single tree rows may be great for soil conservation but they are buffet lines for predators. It takes large blocks of thermal cover to carry deer through a winter like last year. The deer population will ebb and flow as it has always done.

Well...North Dakota lost about 2 million acres of CRP from our peak. And tree rows and sloughs were ripped up on seemingly everywhere.

Not saying that's the cause of our deer drought...but you can't tell me that had nothing to do with our current situation.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a good thing the NDGF isn't in the cattle business as they would be out of business....

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer seem to like lots of roads, and oil pad sites. They will be fine.

its the piping plover I am concerned about

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer seem to like lots of roads, and oil pad sites. They will be fine.

its the piping plover I am concerned about

that piping plover needs to die it is ruining fishing opportunities!

- - - Updated - - -

oh and if you want change... vote for obama i hear he had great change... or pick up a bow and you can hunt every year and longer season

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even some at NDGF thought it was a good plan until they caved to the pressure from bow hunters, who with this plan had the best of both worlds.

One deer per hunter plan proposed

545bdbb434cbe.image.jpg

Photo by Craig Bihrle, ND Game and Fish/ About 30,000 people who applied for deer tags this year didn’t get one. The Game and Fish Department is proposing a one license-per-deer hunter system to provide more opportunity.

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department Thursday announced a proposed plan allowing deer hunters only one deer license per year starting in 2015.

Officials say it’s a response to a dwindling deer population and a way to more fairly distribute available licenses.

This year, 48,000 deer gun licenses were issued, the lowest number since 1980. About 30,000 hunters who applied for a license this year did not get one.

Winters take toll

In 2007, nearly 150,000 deer licenses were available. But three consecutive harsh winters took a toll on the state’s deer population and fawn production. That, coupled with a loss of habitat, has led to a steady decline in numbers since that time.

Under the current licensing structure, hunters can legally harvest three deer, if they are lucky enough to draw into tags in the lottery and purchase an archery license.

The proposal would mean hunters would get only one license a year — either gun, archery or muzzleloader.

Last winter, the Game and Fish Department conducted regional meetings around the state looking for input regarding deer management.

The issue was also a hot topic at spring advisory board meetings.

Jeb Williams, wildlife division chief for the department, said the new plan will make for a more equitable system.

“After evaluating all the input we received last winter, the general feedback we heard is that hunters understand there is no longer enough licenses so that everyone can get one for the gun season,” Williams said.

“But at the same time, they don’t feel the current system is equitably distributing licenses, since some hunters can get two or even three licenses when thousands of hunters get none,” he said.

The plan requires approval from the governor and, if implemented, would not guarantee a license for all who apply, Williams said.

But it would eliminate hunters getting multiple licenses.

How it could work

In the preferred option, a hunter who is successful in the deer gun lottery would not be able to purchase a bow license or receive a muzzleloader license.

However, a hunter with a lottery gun license could also hunt with a bow any time during the open archery season, but only for the deer and unit specified on the license.

Resident hunters who apply in the deer gun lottery and do not receive a license, will still be able to purchase a bow license that is valid statewide for any deer.

Another part of the plan is hunters would be able to apply simultaneously for the deer gun and muzzleloader lotteries. The application would allow choice of a preference, so, if the hunter’s name is drawn and both muzzleloader and deer gun licenses are available at that time, the computer would issue the hunter’s preferred license.

In that case, the computer would remove the hunter’s name from the other lottery. Williams said a hunter would maintain the accumulated bonus points for the application that was removed from the lottery.

Williams said hunters will not lose any bonus points if they choose not to apply for a particular license and the department would do away with the current one-year grace period.

That means hunters who do not apply for two or more years would keep their preference points.

If populations rebound in certain hunting units, Williams said concurrent seasons could be offered in those units.

Youth hunters younger than age 16 would be exempt under the preferred option and could get a bow license as well as a deer gun or youth season license.

Gratis license holders could hunt in any open season on their own land, but may only get one license per year.

Williams acknowledged the plan will not satisfy everyone.

“Not everyone is going to agree,” he said. “I expect the reaction to be mixed. Some might say it doesn’t go far enough.”

Reach reporter Brian Gehring at 701-250-8254 or brian.gehring@bismarcktribune.com.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Jesus h obi. you didn't get a tag just like 60,000 other people. get over it

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
So how many of you guys are going to cough up the $ 20 and not apply just to get a point? I suspect most will just apply and take a chance at drawing and is unsuccessful get a point and a refund.

Sixty-fifth Legislative Assembly of North Dakota
In Regular Session Commencing Tuesday, January 3, 2017
HOUSE BILL NO. 1150
(Representative Porter)
(Senators Armstrong, Unruh)
AN ACT to create and enact a new section to chapter 20.1-03 of the North Dakota Century Code,
relating to bonus points awarded to participants in lotteries for hunting licenses.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY OF NORTH DAKOTA:
SECTION 1.
A new section to chapter 20.1-03 of the North Dakota Century Code is created and
enacted as follows:
Purchase of bonus points awarded for lotteries.
1. When an application for a license issued by a lottery that accrues bonus points is made by an
eligible resident with the intent to forfeit the opportunity to receive that license, the director
shall limit that applicant to the purchase of one bonus point for that year for that lottery. The
applicant shall pay the same fee as the respective license.
2. The director shall allocate fees collected under subsection 1 to the private lands open to
sportsmen program.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many people kill deer with both rifle and bow. Won't more deer die if everyone has an option to use a rifle. I have bought elk points in three different states including SD. If you worked at hunting as hard as you do bitching on the web you would have more tags than you know what to do with. Both Idaho and Colorado are otc.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you read the name of this thread? I didn't start the thread I am just commenting on it like many others.

by the way I did get a doe tag, it was my 4th choice

Jesus h obi. you didn't get a tag just like 60,000 other people. get over it

- - - Updated - - -

You do realize this is about North Dakota so you input means nothing.

How many people kill deer with both rifle and bow. Won't more deer die if everyone has an option to use a rifle. I have bought elk points in three different states including SD. If you worked at hunting as hard as you do bitching on the web you would have more tags than you know what to do with. Both Idaho and Colorado are otc.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think I would purchase just a point. Especially the 3-4 years following a draw where the odds are very low. At least that way I wouldn't have to wait and try to plan around the possibility of drawing a tag.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would purchase just a point. Especially the 3-4 years following a draw where the odds are very low. At least that way I wouldn't have to wait and try to plan around the possibility of drawing a tag.
Exactly.

Take me for instance, I decided I wanted to try for a mule deer buck once in my life so I started applying in 2011 knowing that my odds were slim to none I would have purchased a point the first 3-5 years at least. I'd rather know that I'm not going to be hunting then drawing unexpectedly one of those years. That would have kept my app out of the drawing for 3-5 years and maybe allowed a guy with 4-5 points to draw a tag those years rather then me. I know I didn't draw anyway for 7 years but I could have been.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
So how many of you guys are going to cough up the $ 20 and not apply just to get a point? I suspect most will just apply and take a chance at drawing and is unsuccessful get a point and a refund.

1. It's $30.
2. I suspect many guys who prefer to hunt mule deer will be all over this.
3. You know you can opt to donate your $30 towards the PLOTS program if you're unsuccessful in the lottery?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64