Deer tag system changes

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the system, I have been fortunate, and drawn a buck tag 2 years in a row, I would be happy (sort of) to go a year or two to get another one. It all has to do with what is fair, and I think this is the best use of the situation.

Agreed . System is fine . There are many units where a whitetail buck is near 100% draw so if a person can travel a little you can hunt a buck every year .

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
"There are many units where a whitetail buck is near 100% draw so if a person can travel a little you can hunt a buck every year ."
and just what units would those be?

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to see party hunting legalized. I know there are some large groups out there that would shoot animal upon animal and end up over limit. For this reason, the fines for being over limit would be really high.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
"There are many units where a whitetail buck is near 100% draw so if a person can travel a little you can hunt a buck every year ."

Several .... it's not rocket science . The draw odds come out every year . There's many many units with 70+ % draw odds for whitetail buck and a few with 100% as in guys draw 2nd choice buck tags

- - - Updated - - -

Tired of the Oh , I can't get a tag crap .... bs , apply for area with highs odds ... oh I can't afford to travel , bs again , stay out of the local watering hole couple nights a year will pay for that . Point is if you want a tag you can draw one every year or atleast almost every year if you up your odds by doing a little homework

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot a lot of deer in my 60+ years. If I don't get a tag in my preferred unit I can live with that. One thing that concerns me is the limited chances for young hunters. Young people who don't get a chance to hunt will eventually lose interest I'm afraid.

I don't worry about this as much as some of the rest around here. Truth is, when I started to hunt deer with a rifle in the early 80s, not everyone (including us young'uns) drew tags. And here I am, some 37 years later...still looking forward to deer season.

If you're going to lose that young'un to video games, etc. You will lose him anyway because he (or she) doesn't have the "want" necessary to be a hunter.

A guy I once worked for was convinced that hunting and fishing is something genetically coded into each of us that stick with the sport after being introduced to it. Or, in my case, I found it DESPITE growing up in a household where my stepfather didn't hunt or fish but maybe once a year.

Yep, hunting and fishing found me anyway. Or vice versa, depending on how you want to look at it.

On a side note, as a hunter and angler, I am thrilled to say I got to take my oldest out deer hunting this year for the first time where he was the shooter. It was an awesome, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Having done this for several years, let me just say that the reason WT tags are so readily available in those units is that about 95% of the WT are on private land. You will have plenty of land to walk, but will see muley after muley and you had best damn well be prepared to shoot the first WT buck you see on public land because it may very well be the only one you see in a full week of hunting.

Been there, done that!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would everybody like to see done differently?

I grew up hunting in MN where it is 1 buck tag no matter the weapon or season.

I like the 1 tag system in MN. You can buy your tag(s) OTC every year, and hunt multiple seasons with multiple weapons if you want.

You can still go back and hunt MN, the NR tags are OTC.

I think lifetime residents who've never become a resident of another state (exception for military service) should be given a bonus point in every drawing. Better yet, throw the folks who've imported themselves to ND into the 1% of available tags pot. :::

Not sarcasm: I don't understand folks who come from a place where things are shitty to a place where things are great and then try to make things in the great place just as shitty as it was where they came from.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only changes I would make to the drawing system the gf use. Make it a law that drawing must be held within 7 days of app deadline. Have an audit done by a third party on the results of the "lottery" to make sure all things are done fairly. (I sometimes have my doubts on this) only other change would be for size of buck shot to improve better quality deer in ND. Oh yeah and kick out all nonresidents from our hunting seasons. Lol. I'm just kidding on last one so no one get their panties in a bunch.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can still go back and hunt MN, the NR tags are OTC.

I think lifetime residents who've never become a resident of another state (exception for military service) should be given a bonus point in every drawing. Better yet, throw the folks who've imported themselves to ND into the 1% of available tags pot. :::

Not sarcasm: I don't understand folks who come from a place where things are shitty to a place where things are great and then try to make things in the great place just as shitty as it was where they came from.

I don't think MN is shitty. I don't think ND is shitty. BOTH states have ample opportunities if a guy puts the work in for them, like guys have said, willingness to travel in ND and a guy can hunt with a rifle every year.

I do go back to MN and hunt every year, thanks. 3 successful years with a bow and this year I am going back to basics and spending quality time at rifle camp with the guys. Hunting the big woods and swamps of Northern MN can be some of the toughest hunting, many days of not seeing a single deer. And yet......
2014 MN Buck.jpg
2015 Refuge.jpg
IMG_1469.jpg

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Trying to make everyone happy is a fools errand. Their job should be to manage the resource. Not our happiness. There are only so many deer to go around.

Bingo!!

IMHO I'd be just fine with having one "any deer" tag per season with single choice of weapon.

For instance, I know Deer production is high in states like Iowa and Wisco, but what is the reason for high deer producing states opening their gun seasons Late November and early December?? Is this a deer management strategy which allows better survival rate on mature bucks and reduce stress during the mating season?? I mean some of these bucks look severly stressed after the rut in my opinion....

I honestly would like to know if this would be a valid deer mgmt. strategy in ND??

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
wouldn't work. rifle season would be a zoo and the harvest rate would be too high. 70% of people or more, would choose rifle. be way too many people hunting with a gun, and too many deer taken. it works fine way it is now . hopefully herd keeps coming back and there gets to be some more buck tags available in next few years. things are good way they are.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Changing the price or how deer tags are issued will not make the habitat come back. Here in central ND the trees are coming down and the tile is going in. This is history repeating itself as far as opening the land up in ND. There was very long duration of years when there was no hunting here.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For this old guy I sure hope to keep the paper app.

But for me I have not apply for a whitetail rifle since 95. I probably never will again and sometimes I miss it and other times I am fine with it. Since then I have shot five whitetails with my bow. I prefer to let them grow as I hunt for horns. I began in 95 planting food plots and every year since try to increase the size of them or add to them. I have planted hundreds of trees by hand and spent more on food and habitat for them than what I have on the family for food and habitat.

So for you guys and gals that did not get a tag I have, I feel, done my part to help increase the population so one day you can all hunt again. So thanks for your thank you. db

A guy the other day told me he shot 6 bucks last year. Not a friend and I assume as he could tell me this he sees nothing wrong with it. So in order to help out I should turn him in and at least game and fish may visit him.
But then Friday night another neighbor to me stole my trail camera, several cards, my 70 dollar card reader I just bought, several batteries along with my billfold which had my debt card, passport, SS number and items that I can not replace along with some monies and other items.
The cops will not do anything and if caught the judge will do nothing. (I did get the neighbor girl to confess to me). So I may spent more time now on this but next year I have already laid out a new food plot to plant along with carrying a baseball bat as I visit the neighbor (just for my protection this evening). db-2

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I may spent more time now on this but next year I have already laid out a new food plot to plant along with carrying a baseball bat as I visit the neighbor (just for my protection this evening). db-2

Make sure you pack a baseball glove in there. Plausible deniability: No sir, I didn't intend to imprint louisville slugger on their foreheads, I just wanted to play a game of sandlot style baseball.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anyone who is still bitching about not getting a tag, I heard on the radio today that there are still 200 unsold doe tags available first come, first serve. I you don't have a deer tag by now, its your own fault.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol John Wayne on the memes. So everybody wants to complain about not drawing a tag but they don't want to talk about changes to the system so they can hunt more often? Sounds just like my wife when she comes home complaining about a coworker or part of her job. I listen, she talks until I ask her what she did about it. That usually ends the conversation.

No CRP, no habitat, and a couple tough winters = not as many deer tags.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 33