Devils Lake???'s

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every bridge they are line up thick. In time someone will get run over. Need to be careful when one approaches. db

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They can have all the white bass they want, you will never overfish them. White bass make for good walleye forage too. I also rather them keep a dink walleye over a 6lb+ fish. Honestly not sure why anyone cares if they are following the laws. White bass limit should be 100 pp
That’s the problem limits mean nothing to them.

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure wardens even check them anymore. Years ago when they first started coming up I watched a warden try and check them. Me no English. 20 of them just started walking all around and me no English. Impossible figure to figure who was who.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe if they were just catching silver bass but walleyes are stacked up just the same . I would be willing to bet most don’t even buy a license.
Before the first limits on bass they didn’t keep many other fish. But as you decrease one species people start keeping others to make their trip worthwhile. IMO our perch fishery has never been what it was prior to their introduction and taking off. If it wasn’t for them coming here and taking bass out eye and perch populations would be screwed.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before the first limits on bass they didn’t keep many other fish. But as you decrease one species people start keeping others to make their trip worthwhile. IMO our perch fishery has never been what it was prior to their introduction and taking off. If it wasn’t for them coming here and taking bass out eye and perch populations would be screwed.
Ya I don’t believe that for a second they keep anything that is reeled in.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t imagine the number of times men have said this over the last century or so and couldn’t have been more wrong. 😄
It’s not like they are out there with nets. How many fish are they harvesting per year? 5% of the population? 0.5% ? I real don’t think we need to worry until we see populations plummet. Look at Sak, the walleye populations are not affected at all by harvest, the population is based on the smelt forage base which only the corp and Mother Nature control!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fishing on the lake i have seen them with nets, db

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I don’t believe that for a second they keep anything that is reeled in.
In the early days of hmong fishing DL they would trade their walleyes for white bass. Now I have asked a few of them in boats what they are targeting and they are targeting walleyes. They said walleyes are better eating.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
White bass have been in Devils since ‘71, the perch have boomed and busted a few times since. In a lake that size they have a negligible affect on any other species. In fact they are great forage for walleye. I actually think they make great tacos as long as all the red meat is removed.

As far as Muskie, I caught a decent tiger in east DL in the early oughts.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There should be no limit on white bass on DL. Let them fish them out. The G&F should have put large mouth bass in there instead of white bass when they stocked it years ago. It would be a world class LM bass fishery right now, probably one of the best in the country. Who really cares if they leave with 109464 times there limit, does anyone beside the hmong really fish for them?
Largemouth don't grow to world class size in this climate. Southern states like FL, TX, AL produce big largemouth. Smallies rule the north.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still would like to fly a Huey low over Cannel A and see how many were still on the road afterwards. I guess to many are too young to know what that meant. LB
But didn't the Hmong and the Montayards work with the green berets? I know I've read books about them working together. the Vietnamese hated both the Hmong and the Yards, forced them up into the mountains. Green Berets went up there and trained them to help fight the Viet Cong. Hence why many of them are here. They were friends of the USA during the war and were allowed to come over here with their familys after wards.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Hmong take a lot of fish home.....no one is debating that. But are they within their limit? Typically I see many family members associated with one Toyota Tundra. Possible that they are legal.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70