Dog Whining in the Decoys. Solutions/Advice?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Solutions/Advice? I've been told its pretty much an issue that can't be fixed and I am starting to believe it.

My springer is built to upland hunt and that is what we try concentrate on. But, I've spent a lot more time duck hunting the last 10 years. So much so that I probably spend more days in a blind or in standing corn than I do chasing grouse or pheasants now. At least until freeze up anyways. Its just more convenient to be able to hunt and be home by 10 AM then it is to drive at least an hour or two minimum and not make it home until past the wife's designated time slot.

Anyway, I hate getting up in the morning and leaving my dog(s) behind. So, I've taken the older one with a few times the last 3-4 years. Usually when i don't have to be in a layout blind... hunting out of standing corn, edge of slough, etc... I keep her leashed to my leg or my chair. She sits and stays ok. Wants to chase the ducks right away. Which is workable. And she is getting better at not tugging on the leash until I release her. But, I absolutely can't get her to quit whining. And it can get loud at times. So, loud I would be surprised if the ducks can't hear it. Even if they can't, it annoys the shit out of me and I assume my friends if I go with someone. Although, they are great sports about it and don't complain... to my face anyway.

Just me and her went out yesterday morning and we shot our ducks in relatively short order. But, it was a miserable 75 minutes or so. Me scolding her in every way i can think of.... tugging leash, "no!", "shhh", a beating or two, some up close face to face confrontations/conversations... all well timed and for literally 75 minutes straight. She doesn't get it and I am beginning to think she has no control over it. In fact, I am not even sure she knows why i am scolding her. Which makes it more frustrating and sad for both of us. Yesterday was the worst day of it we have ever had.

Caveat... she is an excellent retriever. Found all six ducks yesterday without me ever having to leave my chair and 4 of them were doubles where she had to go back out and find them after bringing one back. Not quite to my hand. But, close enough for the women I date. So, I would like to keep bringing her with.

I am inclined to just put up with it and quit scolding her. But, if i can fix it, I will give it a college try. Anyone got any magic advice for this problem?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab/weimaraner does the same thing. Very excitable and does it because he loves being in 'the hunt' and he knows where he is. I have to have him actually touching me (his chest/legs to my leg) and petting him while we hideout for other hunters moving through an area where I'm helping "pinch" the effort. It sometimes works, sometimes not. Hard habit to break after 8yrs.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My older GWP is nice and quiet, but my younger guy is nuts. He's the worst duck dog I know. That is, he's an absolute MACHINE and bird crazy when it comes to finding downed ducks, and he loves to swim. But he's so damn loud you wonder if he got his nuts stabbed by a cattail.

And because he's not totally broke (my fault) he jumps at the shot and gets every damn duck we get unless I somehow double. Yesterday Blitz retrieved six ducks and the only reason old Remy got that last bluewing is because I sniped it while getting the decoys and was able to stop Blitz before he jumped in.

I have no solution to stop whining. Remy used to whine but stopped as he got older. He's 8 now. Blitz is 6 and I have a feeling he will never outgrow it.

Want to hear something really funny? He SCREAMS when he's chasing a wounded duck. Like, banshee-wild screeching. He gets so dang amped he can't help it and you can hear it cleeeeear across the water. Makes it easy to track him if he winds up chasing it into cover! Haha!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My frickin dog does it just riding in the truck!:;:help

The short drive I have is miserable with my Springer. With a gun in the truck he whines loud and high pitched, and yips. He just can't calm down when he knows we're hunting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
some models of bark collars are supposedly capable of dealing with whining

- - - Updated - - -

also - my condolences - once in a while Royce gets on a roll when fishing and I am nearly driven insane by it

a guy can only handle so much - it's one of the most irritating sounds on earth

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Dad has 2 labs, one has whined as long as I can remember, other one rarely makes a peep. The whiner will frickin whine the entire ride in the truck on the way out hunting. Gets louder when the truck hits a gravel road. She's getting older now and doesn't do it quite as much or loud as she used to. Only thing I could think of to try is to run the shit out of it for a while before the hunt as when she gets tired she doesn't seem to whine as much.
I'm thankful so far that my pup hasn't started that habit.
Good luck

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh and shore fishing is just as bad. Every time I cast out a line, he barks and whines. There's no way I could try casting from shore.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
some models of bark collars are supposedly capable of dealing with whining

- - - Updated - - -

also - my condolences - once in a while Royce gets on a roll when fishing and I am nearly driven insane by it

a guy can only handle so much - it's one of the most irritating sounds on earth

This is what I would try.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
sometimes dogs like that cannot hold their excitement. Not perfect manners but you may want to just let him wonder around and burn energy...then when birds start to come in reign him back in. Definitely not ideal but sometimes worth the peace.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "vibrate" mode on doggie's E-coller seems to be more of a nuisance to him than is an actual shock. A couple of "buzz-buzz" taps will typically quiet him down. My dog is 13, he's not likely to quit whining until he's in the ground.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a bark collar. In the past I'd tried using the shock collar my dog usually has on it for barking and whining. It never worked. Just couldn't be fast enough or they for some reason didn't associate it with their whining. Got a bark collar and took care of the issue right away. One tip though.... If you use a chain collar, take it off before putting on a the bark collar. Mine is sensitive enough that if he shakes or something the noise from the chain collar with tags on it must set off the bark collar at times.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My lab is pretty quiet in the truck until about 3 miles from our favorit pheasent spot, then the closer we get the higher the whine becomes. I kind of solved that by running her a couple miles first, seems like it takes the edge off and when we get where we are really going to hunt she is more focused. She just turned 4 and we will see if she is better this year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might try running the crap outta the dog before you start the actual hunt. A tired dog may be less inclined to whine as they will have "Hunted" themselves into a dull/more quiet roar so to speak.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't hunt ducks anymore but my springer whines when she knows we are going pheasant hunting. As soon as we slow down and hit gravel she knows something is up and starts to whine. I wonder...in all seriousness here...If..IF your dog is sitting by your side..IF...a calming force such as those horse blinders kinda things would work?? Eye patches or whatever the heck they are called where some people put them over their eyes to sleep better at nite. Like a calming effect on the dog.. I don't have a clue though...just tossing something out there as perhaps it has been tried before. Rip the thing off when ducks are down and let him work.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Solutions/Advice? I've been told its pretty much an issue that can't be fixed and I am starting to believe it.

Its just more convenient to be able to hunt and be home by 10 AM then it is to drive at least an hour or two minimum and not make it home until past the wife's designated time slot.

I am inclined to just put up with it and quit scolding her. But, if i can fix it, I will give it a college try. Anyone got any magic advice for this problem?

Lots of good advice in the thread about the dog whining. So I'm interested in what a "wife's designated time slot" is?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
He has to be home at that time,................... so she can put his balls back in her purse.........................;:;rofl

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not gonna argue tikka. Too much truth in that post. However, i will say I still hunt quite a bit from grouse til roosters are over though. With a 17, 6, 5 an 8 month old, I try not to get to upset with her attempting to set limits. I am trying real hard ringo...

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a buddy with a chocolate lab that whined from the time you got in the truck and when decoying it was horribly loud. nothing worked. she usually had a shock collar on and had a very low pain threshold and she wouldn't stop. just was so amped to be hunting we just put up with it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18