Teachers

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's been a lot of complaining lately. Sniping about bad teachers. People whining. I have no doubt that there are people who shouldn't be teaching - just aren't cut out for it. And I realize that teachers have bad days too, and they're just people, so they're allowed to be less-than-perfect.

But yesterday, there was an active shooter situation called in at Bismarck High School, among many other schools in the state and the midwest.

In particular, the science classroom that my daughter was in, was reported to have had gunshots. This wasn't true, but the police arrived quickly. The young female teacher was plenty scared, but had the presence of mind to tell the kids what they might have to use to fight back. Textbooks, chairs, scalpels, etc. A very scary situation for her and the students. She performed well. The kids were calm and listened to instructions. All was resolved.

One of the oldest teachers in the school, Mrs Lord-Olson, was on crutches with a broken leg. She positioned herself between the students and her locked classroom door.

In my opinion, that showed remarkable bravery in the face of what could have been a nightmare.

I'd just like to thank those teachers, for doing what they do.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad your daughter and the rest of the kids are safe. That must have scared the shit out of them.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's just crazy how times have changed. Back when I was in school the only drills we ever did were tornado and fire drills. Now not only do today's kids have to do those drills they also have to do "bad guy" drills. I have a toddler at home and school is only a couple years away for him, and the wife and I are at odds of sending him to school or home schooling. I'm for home school due to I feel we are able to protect him better not only from "bad guys" but also we control what is taught to him.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
By the time my daughter got home, she was over the worst of it, but I could tell she was shaken up. You read about this type of thing, or see it on TV, but when you're facing it head-on, it's got to be terrifying.

Big thank you to the responding LEO's. She said that within minutes of the lock-down, they could hear sirens. Minutes later, Bismarck PD was pounding on the door of her classroom.

One of the students in her class apparently texted their parents, about a lock down and reports of gunshots in the school. The parents mistook the info and called 911 - reporting gunshots in my daughter's classroom. The police went straight to room 302 and started hammering on the door. Per training, the teacher didn't let them in right away, until she was certain it was actually PD. It must have been very tense.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
One never know when the next crazy idiot tries doing something stupid again.
Glad your daughter is safe and hopefully she never has to deal with this again, but if she does this was probably better than any drill that one could ever think of doing.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well looks like north dakota should allow teachers to carry with special training by the licensed trainer. I know Minnesota schools like Detroit Lakes has a leo on duty during school hours that could be a solution to combat these kind of situations in the future. None the less I'm happy it was a false alarm and everything was alright 👍

weakstream

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well looks like north dakota should allow teachers to carry with special training by the licensed trainer. I know Minnesota schools like Detroit Lakes has a leo on duty during school hours that could be a solution to combat these kind of situations in the future. None the less I'm happy it was a false alarm and everything was alright 👍
Do you really want teachers to Carry? They are not cops even with training. I am guessing the majority of teachers did not go through college to become a teacher that has to carry a firearm for protection. You will see more teachers leaving the field, which leaves kids with either fewer teachers or teachers with little to no experience. Maybe the State needs to help fund school resource officers for every school. Oh wait they don't give a crap about kids. Hell they won't even fund lunch program for those in need.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you really want teachers to Carry? They are not cops even with training. I am guessing the majority of teachers did not go through college to become a teacher that has to carry a firearm for protection. You will see more teachers leaving the field, which leaves kids with either fewer teachers or teachers with little to no experience. Maybe the State needs to help fund school resource officers for every school. Oh wait they don't give a crap about kids. Hell they won't even fund lunch program for those in need.
What does carrying have anything to do with being a cop? There is probably 1000s of teachers in the United States that own ccw permit, so i didnt state anywhere in my post about making it a mandatory requirement. Really comes down narrowed minded people like you that think that the only ones who should have a gun should be the leo. We have already seen on the news of situations where a ccw permitted teacher would have changed the outcome to school shootings in this country. Thinking that leo is going to save the day you only need to look at past incidents to know that outcome. JMTC

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing if you want to change things is make it an automatic federal felony if a unsecured firearm is used in a mass shooting. Holding irresponsible gun owners accountable for unsecured firearms especially when we already know that majority of these kids who end up using these firearms to commit mass shootings come from irresponsible gun owners. These kids can't legally buy these guns so making others an example to not what to do with a unsecured firearm would really get some attention, because nothing makes responsible gun owners look bad then an irresponsible one. JMTC

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
This meme gets the point across much better then anything I could say

2k16w9cJgbew.jpeg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I want a teacher(s) to carry. But those that want to would need advanced training by someone that does that. Whether it’s the law enforcement academy or whatever. Just knowing at least one teacher will be packing will scare off a large percentage of wanna be shooters. I know at least a dozen teachers personally that I would have no problem with carrying

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me school's should have the same security as a damn military base. Make it nearly impossible to get in or out. The problem I'm sure is funding, so many schools out there.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If'n I were interested in being a teacher of say basic biology or science, I think I'd look for a math, english, PE, and social studies teacher to throw in with me and offer our services to Home School parents under some form of contract basis on a 1 year term. We teach the kids from an parent approved curriculum and they needn't worry about us teaching their son that it's OK to cut his penis off or hack off their daughters breasts just to be tolerant and accepting. Just your ordinary Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic that will prepare their kids to be free thinking, personally evaluative, accountable for their own actions conscientious and self aware adults. Just a thought.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a school district in NC or SC I think, that taught the teacher how to shoot ARs. Gun safe in every room with biometric locks. Guns are cocked and locked. Would love to see Bismarck put this in place.

Gotta do something or parents will go to private schools or home school...I'm ok with those options too, just give me back my tax money.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
If'n I were interested in being a teacher of say basic biology or science, I think I'd look for a math, english, PE, and social studies teacher to throw in with me and offer our services to Home School parents under some form of contract basis on a 1 year term. We teach the kids from an parent approved curriculum and they needn't worry about us teaching their son that it's OK to cut his penis off or hack off their daughters breasts just to be tolerant and accepting. Just your ordinary Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic that will prepare their kids to be free thinking, personally evaluative, accountable for their own actions conscientious and self aware adults. Just a thought.
That’s crazy talk.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe teachers should have more meetings with Tic Toc teachers after school in the smoke pit.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes I want a teacher(s) to carry. But those that want to would need advanced training by someone that does that. Whether it’s the law enforcement academy or whatever. Just knowing at least one teacher will be packing will scare off a large percentage of wanna be shooters. I know at least a dozen teachers personally that I would have no problem with carrying
I know one I would have a problem with......

1677898389083.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88