Door Guy

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone recommend someone to cut the bottom part of a front door off for me? About an inch of it. The floor was raised and now the door won't open completely. I e read this can be done. It's a metal door. This would also be in Bismarck.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big J Its easy to do:
1. Take door off
2. Place door on saw horses or table,
3. put a piece of masking tape on the bottom face of door both sides,
4 now mark as to how much you would like to cut off,
5. use a straight preferably a flat metal rulers or level will work
use a utility knife sharp blade and cut (score) on the line you made,
6. use a circular saw ( cut off wheel ) to cut to the line that way the scour line will keep you from berring
I like to use a level as a fence to use as a guide when I am cutting the bottom of the door.

I will clamp down the level on both ends approx. 1 3/8 (i beleive) away from the scored line. That way you can set the depth of the blade to cut no more then a 1/4 inch.

Last edited:

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your right. I could actually do that. It's been this way for awhile and just hard to make time to get to it. Thanks!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you take the door and frame out and lift the whole unit? Most of the time there is a 1/2 inch or more between the frame and rough opening. By lifting the frame you won't have to worry about the bottom door sweep or threshold. Cutting a steel door can be difficult if not impossible depending on the door.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can you take the door and frame out and lift the whole unit? Most of the time there is a 1/2 inch or more between the frame and rough opening. By lifting the frame you won't have to worry about the bottom door sweep or threshold. Cutting a steel door can be difficult if not impossible depending on the door.

I agree with this, cutting the door can be done but if it's a front door it has a sill at the bottom designed to seal out drafts. Cutting the door completely eliminates the seal. Raising the whole door is a much better option in my opinion.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Raising the door frame is defiantly not the easiest thing to do. You have to pull the casing off, if the door is old it most likely has long 3" rusty head screws in the hinges that will need to be pulled out. If it's really old it would have brass slotted head screws that are a pain to get out. Then sometimes the gap between the top of the frame and the header could be less then what you need to cut off which you still may need to cut the bottom of the door. Also once you cut the steel door buy a door sweep that can be screwed to the bottom of the door. Nah lifting the door frame is defiantly not the easiest way to fix. Cutting a steal door is simple if you have the right tools JMO

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
if there's not enough room to lift due to the header, with a multitool you can plunge cut into the header and make room. Takes maybe 20 minutes and a good set of ear plugs.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing to remember is that before you remove the casing as well as the brick molding is to cut the backside of the casing that way if the paint is stuck to the casing it won't rip the rest of the paint off the wall same as the caulking on the brick molding on the outside. When you raise the door frame the casing will shorter on the inside as well as the brick molding outside. You could either buy new casing and brick molding to replace the existing shorter molding. If you watch you tube videos there are some really good examples as to how to trim the bottom of a door. Simplest way is still going to be cutting the bottom of the door

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You say it's a metal door is the threshold attached to the frame and if so what are your plans for the threshold?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
You say it's a metal door is the threshold attached to the frame and if so what are your plans for the threshold?

Good question. Cutting off interior doors is one thing. Exterior doors not so much.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea your not cutting of a steel entry door. only shot you have is to pull the door out and hope you have enough clearance on the header. most have 3/4" or so. If not, hopefully they capped the header with a 2x6 on the bottom. If so you can cup up on both ends through that cap. Then pry it off. Throw a 3/4" board on it and re-hang the door. You will have to cut up your siding to allow for the raising. But that's another can of worms.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always try to avoid cutting the door,cutting or notching the header is best if at all possible,if not and door needs to be cut,measure hieght needed,carefully knock threshold off the bottom,cut what is needed off jambs and take an extra 3/16 off door itself and install a door bottom,they do make them.Make sure to use a good quality caulking or sealant to cover exposed wood or door will wick up moisture and be shot in no time.As far as reattaching threshold use a bevel square to mark the angle,glue and nail it back in place.
New cutdown doors usually run 100-200$ more than the standard size.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never cut off an entry door and never will!
Custom order the size you need or hopefully there is enough room below the header to raise it up.
Ok

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you cut a steel entry door it's toast. it warps like a bitch and you will never get the waves/wrinkles out of the slab where you cut it. so don't even attempt it.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've messed around with the same thing a while back. I also recommend a door guy

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you cut a steel entry door it's toast. it warps like a bitch and you will never get the waves/wrinkles out of the slab where you cut it. so don't even attempt it.
That would be the case if it was a cheap metal door from a trailers house,I have cut steel doors both commercial and residential with no issues what so ever. Most steel residential doors are 6 clad design with a wood frame with a steel metal face. You could cut 1" off the bottom of that door with no issues. Then buy a plastic u shaped sleeve that you cut to length and attach to the bottom. Like I said before there are all kinds of examples as to how to trim a steel exterior door much faster , cheaper, and simpler then removing the whole door.
Here's a great example of what I am referring to as cutting a 6 clad steel exterior door

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inst...resize-a-steel-clad-entry-door/?amp_page=true

567-4704Profile.jpg
35d3d695-00b3-488c-a457-9f87b0f8822f_1000.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would be the case if it was a cheap metal door from a trailers house,I have cut steel doors both commercial and residential with no issues what so ever. Most steel residential doors are 6 clad design with a wood frame with a steel metal face. You could cut 1" off the bottom of that door with no issues. Then buy a plastic u shaped sleeve that you cut to length and attach to the bottom. Like I said before there are all kinds of examples as to how to trim a steel exterior door much faster , cheaper, and simpler then removing the whole door.
Here's a great example of what I am referring to as cutting a 6 clad steel exterior door

https://www.google.com/amp/www.inst...resize-a-steel-clad-entry-door/?amp_page=true

walleye stringer mount.jpg
5 walleye stringer mount .jpg
stringer mount walleye.jpg
. Did you notice in your video the frame was taken out to deal with the threshold? Just raise the frame, cut a little off the brickmold if you have issues with the exterior materials

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33