Down Imaging VS Side Imaging

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking at putting a new sonar on my boat. This is a smaller fishing boat used primarily for fishing the Missouri. I think I've narrowed down my choice to a Humminbird Helix 5. The questions is do I go DI for $350 or SI for $500? Is down imaging going to give me much coverage in the shallow water or am i better of spending the extra to get side imaging? In my head it seems like the side imaging would be much better on the river, but don't want to waste money if its not. I'm replacing a 15 year old depth finder so either of these will be light years ahead for me.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
A person can get into SI for $500?? That doesn't sound right.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
DI vs SI is not even a comparison. DI draws you a picture of what is below you in an identifiable version of a normal depth finder. SI allows you to look out from the boat to find structure and/or fish.

Personally, I can live without DI. I use is very little but I would rather have my SI even over 2d. I use it every day of fishing on the river both to identify the lay of the land in the river and to find fish. This past fall the ability to use SI caught me literally hundreds of fish in 1-3 feet of water that most people simply drove by.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I liked the DI for fishing over structure this summer. Especially liked it in weedy areas, they really show up on the DI. I am still working on the SI. I need to fiddle with the controls a little more to see what I am currently missing. I have looked at all the instructional videos online but still not always sure what the hell I am seeing.:(

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Helix 7 DI for 499.99 is pretty darn sweet.

Mocha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Personally I always use my DI and almost never my SI. I fish mostly lakes in MN and also Devils Lake in ND. I have an HDS8 and even with the 8" screen the SI is hard to see. I love the DI. I know exactly what is below me at any given time. IMHO

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The size of the 5 does concern me for SI. I also want to use this in the winter so i don't really want to jump up to the 7, plus this is a river boat that i mostly just use in the spring. I think if i was buying a dedicated boat sonar that i used all spring/summer/fall i would spring for the 7 SI. I can get the helix 5 DI for $329 right now. I think that might be the ticket for my needs.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever try using one of these ice fishing? Not talking to replace the vex more so when you get to a spot drop it down and see if there is a rock pile or trees or what not near by. Seems like it could be a great tool when fishing new water or water you don't fish in summer.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever try using one of these ice fishing? Not talking to replace the vex more so when you get to a spot drop it down and see if there is a rock pile or trees or what not near by. Seems like it could be a great tool when fishing new water or water you don't fish in summer.
I believe you have to be moving to get the DI/SI display, so i don't think those work in ice. I could be wrong though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33